parents need a extender/repeater for a hotel

intertan

Parents are going on a trip next month, last time they were there the wifi was horrible. All they used it for was maps, calling us kids and emails.

I never actually researched anything beyond hardwired AP units. What is there best option. They don't want to spend a lot as it might get left behind.

Call before hand and check hotel reviews, they’re getting better with wifi. 
Also I was in a hotel just last week and there were no ethernet jacks so...

CPU: Intel core i7-8086K Case: CORSAIR Crystal 570X RGB CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H150i PRO RGB Storage: Samsung 980 Pro - 2TB NVMe SSD PSU: EVGA 1000 GQ, 80+ GOLD 1000W, Semi Modular GPU: MSI Radeon RX 580 GAMING X 8G RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4 3200mhz Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E Gaming

Hotels usually provide the password in the hotel rooms because it is easier to distribute multiple networks attached to one enterprise router rather then setting up several hundred routers.

This is what I have seen from hotels.

Repeaters actually make it a worse experience.  What kind of place are they staying at?  Usually super budget oriented places have terrible wifi, most higher end places have a proper wifi deployment.

57 minutes ago, VinZie said:

Hotels usually provide the password in the hotel rooms because it is easier to distribute multiple networks attached to one enterprise router rather then setting up several hundred routers.

This is what I have seen from hotels.

Most places should have a breadth of access points, most connectivity ties into a single or HA pair of routers.  Corporate and large scale wifi isn't the same as chaining a bunch of netgears together.

PC : 3600 · Crosshair VI WiFi · 2x16GB RGB 3200 · 1080Ti SC2 · 1TB WD SN750 · EVGA 1600G2 · Define C 

In my experience poor WiFi in hotels is rarely about the WiFi signal and entirely due to them limiting it so you get the bare minimum, or places NOT limiting it and just ending up completely overloaded.

Either way, I doubt an extender would do anything but make it worse, its antennas are not going to be considerably better than a laptop unless you got something bigger with external antennas which is going to be more expensive, more awkward to pack and not guaranteed to make any difference.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

On 1/12/2020 at 4:49 PM, Jumballi said:

Call before hand and check hotel reviews, they’re getting better with wifi. 
Also I was in a hotel just last week and there were no ethernet jacks so...

same place they visited 2 years ago, no idea if things have improved or not. Just want something in case nothing has improved