Which laptops would you recommend for programming?

I'm searching for a new laptop which I can use for programming. It should be able to handle also higher demanding stuff, as I would like to do things like game development and 3D modeling in the future. It would be great if you could play games on it at least decently and if it had some touch screen or stylus support so I can write on it in my studies.

I looked around a lot for laptops fitting these criteria, but there are not that many I found. The only one which did everything I wanted was the Surface Book 2 with a GTX 1060. But some people seems to have issues with overheating and stuff.

Does anyone here have a suggestion?

Location? Budget? Any preferences on weight and battery life? Is pen enabled touchscreen a must?

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

8 hours ago, genexis_x said:

Location? Budget? Any preferences o weight and battery life? Is pen enabled touchscreen a must?

• I live in Europe, but I should be able to get everything which delivers to either the US or Europe
  • My budget is up to 3000€ (3300 US$) but everything lower would be great
  • I don't care that much about weight. It shouldn't weigh more than 2.5 - 3 kg
  • Would be great to get through a day in school with it. (8h normal use)
  • Pen support is not an absolute need, but I would like to switch to having also my notes digitally and couldn't think of any other solution there.

On 1/4/2020 at 9:58 PM, Vntto said:

I'm searching for a new laptop which I can use for programming. It should be able to handle also higher demanding stuff, as I would like to do things like game development and 3D modeling in the future. It would be great if you could play games on it at least decently and if it had some touch screen or stylus support so I can write on it in my studies.

I looked around a lot for laptops fitting these criteria, but there are not that many I found. The only one which did everything I wanted was the Surface Book 2 with a GTX 1060. But some people seems to have issues with overheating and stuff.

Does anyone here have a suggestion?

For programming a MacBook. 

Dirty Windows Peasants :P ?

On 1/5/2020 at 7:36 PM, Vntto said:

Europe

which country?

On 1/5/2020 at 7:36 PM, Vntto said:

3000€

how about laptop+desktop?

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

On 1/9/2020 at 8:10 AM, genexis_x said:

which country?

how about laptop+desktop?

Austria. I should be able to get everything from Germany tho.

I already own a decent desktop. I basically just need a laptop which I can use for school and the stuff I described above

On 1/6/2020 at 10:58 AM, Lord Vile said:

For programming a MacBook. 

I actually thought about that already, but I just don't like the keyboard. Would probably get used to it tho. Do you have any experience programming on MacOS? And it should be no problem running Windows/Linux on one a second option, am I right?

13 minutes ago, Vntto said:

Austria

Any links of online stores?

13 minutes ago, Vntto said:

I basically just need a laptop which I can use for school and the stuff I described above

Fine with lower end hardware?

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, genexis_x said:

Any links of online stores?

Fine with lower end hardware?

• There are loads of stores.. My favorite one would be Amazon, but I know it can be quite pricey compared to some others. (Some others: https://www.cyberport.at/; https://www.notebooksbilliger.de/)
  • As I should be able to do some rendering (rather basic) and gaming etc, low end hardware won't be suited, i guess.

On 1/10/2020 at 4:21 PM, Vntto said:

I actually thought about that already, but I just don't like the keyboard. Would probably get used to it tho. Do you have any experience programming on MacOS? And it should be no problem running Windows/Linux on one a second option, am I right?

Nope I ain’t a programmer just people I’ve spoken to enjoy unix for programming. Linux is a tricky issue as the T2 chip kinda locks it, may be some workarounds but not sure. Windows though you can bootcamp and all is rosey. Runs hotter in windows though. 

Dirty Windows Peasants :P ?

18 hours ago, Lord Vile said:

Nope I ain’t a programmer just people I’ve spoken to enjoy unix for programming. Linux is a tricky issue as the T2 chip kinda locks it, may be some workarounds but not sure. Windows though you can bootcamp and all is rosey. Runs hotter in windows though. 

Yes. I also heard that MacOS is pretty good for programming. And I also heard of a VM software called Parallels, with which i should be no problem to virtualize a Linux based OS I guess.

This is a great enterprise laptop with pen support: hp zbook studio g5 x360 and a quadro card which can be used for gaming

Laptops: Acer VN7-592G (I5-6300HQ, 960m), Lenovo P43s

Phones: LG V30, Samsung S10

Speakers: 2 ALR Jordan 3M's (120W each)

Amplifier: SMSL SA-98E

Headphones: Sony WH-1000XM3, Sennheiser Momentum

If you can forgo touchscreen (otherwise will be lower end hardware), consider XMG Fusion 15 (Tongfang QC7). Gigabyte Aero 15 2019 (240Hz) also not bad but expensive

Since you want long battery life, most options will be thin and lights. And many of them can't cool well

Desktop specs:

Spoiler