Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Darlington784

Usb type-c extender over ethernet

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hi.
If I connect 2 Ethernet to USB type-c with an Ethernet cable, can I use them as a USB extender?
I would like to do the same thing that Linus did in his rig with an optical Thunderbolt cable but in a more cheap way.

Thanks

11 hours ago, Darlington784 said:

Hi.
If I connect 2 Ethernet to USB type-c with an Ethernet cable, can I use them as a USB extender?
I would like to do the same thing that Linus did in his rig with an optical Thunderbolt cable but in a more cheap way.

Thanks

It won't work.

Your computer will see the USB to ethernet adapter as a network device, so using it as a USB extender simply won't work.  Incompatible protocols (among other reasons)  Additionally, display signals will not be sent over USB.  Finally, USB has limits on cable length, with USB 2.0 over type-C maxing at 4 m.

Optical thunderbolt was used by Linus because it will actually support the peripherals and display signals over those distances, unlike standard USB.

Be sure to QUOTE or TAG me in your reply so I see it!

GAMING RIG -----> i7 4790k - GTX 1080 - MSI Z97 Gaming 5 - Fractal Design Define S - LOTS of Noctua cooling

FOLDING RIG ----> i7 2700K - GTX 1070 - GTX 1660 Ti - ASUS something or another motherboard - Antec 900

Posted · Original PosterOP
On 12/18/2019 at 2:12 AM, RAS_3885 said:

It won't work.

Your computer will see the USB to ethernet adapter as a network device, so using it as a USB extender simply won't work.  Incompatible protocols (among other reasons)  Additionally, display signals will not be sent over USB.  Finally, USB has limits on cable length, with USB 2.0 over type-C maxing at 4 m.

Optical thunderbolt was used by Linus because it will actually support the peripherals and display signals over those distances, unlike standard USB.

Thank you