Ryzen 7 3700U bad performance.

ddrexj

Hello, I recently bought an Acer Aspire rocking a Ryzen 7 3700U with integrated Radeon RX Vega 10, 8gb RAM and a 512gb SSD for a pretty good value.

The problem is as I'm a casual gamer I play some e-sports games, such as CSGO and I can't seem to find a way to get more than 30fps... Even at 800x600 all low settings. And I'm pretty sure that this pc is capable of running 100+ fps on this game. Heck, my home computer with 10+ year old parts runs it fine...

I've tried tweaking the setting on Radeon Software, I've tried installing the Adrenaline 2020 software and upgrading the graphics but to no avail...

Does anyone have some thoughts?

Ryzen laptops are problematic as different vendors set different power targets which impact the GPU performance.  They also thermal throttle really HARD on the GPU at only 74C.

I have a 2500U and was really annoyed to find out about this, as it will run great for 10 minutes then suddenly the frame-rate halves.

Might not be the issue, but its really put me off AMD in laptops.  I realise the same happens with an nVidia dGPU but at least they don't throttle until around 84C and are a lot faster to begin with so its less of an issue.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

9 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Ryzen laptops are problematic as different vendors set different power targets which impact the GPU performance.  They also thermal throttle really HARD on the GPU at only 74C.

I have a 2500U and was really annoyed to find out about this, as it will run great for 10 minutes then suddenly the frame-rate halves.

Might not be the issue, but its really put me off AMD in laptops.  I realise the same happens with an nVidia dGPU but at least they don't throttle until around 84C and are a lot faster to begin with so its less of an issue.

Hey! Thanks for answering. I'm starting to realise the they thermal capped really hard on my laptop... as it can't even run low demanding games. It really puts me off to AMD laptops too... I had the oportunity to buy an Intel equivalent and settled for this...