Cooler Master Hyper 212 on Asus TUF X570

g00fy
Go to solution Solved by St. Nick,

You do in fact replace the motherboard backplate with the plastic one. That's it XD.

Hi everyone!

I'm building my first pc and what seemed like a straightforward step (installing the cpu cooler), now seems impossible.

I'm trying to install Cooler Master Hyper 212 (Black) on Asus TUF gaming X570. The cooler includes an AM4 bracket (B in image) and the necessary stand offs (C in image). The motherboard already comes with a backplate (A in image) but in order to add the plastic bracket that came with the cooler, the motherboard backplate must be removed, otherwise adding the plastic one under the mobo backplate won't work because the screws of the plastic bracket are too short. I don't want to remove the mobo backplate and the user manual advises against it as well. As a result, I can't use the standoffs (C in image) to mount the cooler.

mobo_cooler.thumb.jpg.d39a58de1cbb8630fa9cb25181212f82.jpg

I think I need different standoffs, similar to D in the image (although those are for intel sockets so they are larger than the holes of the motherboard backplate.

In this post, it's suggested to buy the upgrade kit from cooler master and just use the screws. Would this make sense in my case? Also, I can't seem to find this kit in stock anywhere.

This seems way too complicated to be true :D so I think I'm missing the whole picture. Any ideas are greatly appreciated!

Thanks for the super fast reply @St. Nick ! But will it provide sufficient support in order to avoid warping?

5 minutes ago, St. Nick said:

For the Hyper 212? Yeah definetly, that really isn't a very hefty cooler so it will be absolutely fine. In fact it is designed to be mounted that way!

Great, thanks a lot for your help!

Though tbh I still feel a bit scared about removing it since it's not advised in the user manual but if ther's no other way I might end up doing that...

2 minutes ago, g00fy said:

Though tbh I still feel a bit scared about removing it since it's not advised in the user manual but if ther's no other way I might end up doing that...

Where is that mentioned in the manual? What motherboard?

The backplate is used for the stock plastic mounting hooks but only the stock coolers and some aftermarket ones use it. Most premium aftermarket coolers use their own mounting hardware. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

3 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

Where is that mentioned in the manual? What motherboard?

The backplate is used for the stock plastic mounting hooks but only the stock coolers and some aftermarket ones use it. Most premium aftermarket coolers use their own mounting hardware. 

@WoodenMarker It's mentioned here, page 37. Thanks a lot for your thorough response!

Then it makes sense, If only stock coolers use it then the manual is referring to that...

Ohh yeah it's referring directly to the wraith spire and wraith stealth coolers that come with certain Am4 processors, you can't infact mount those if the backplate is removed since they pin into that. Most aftermarket coolers have their own back plates though!

58 minutes ago, St. Nick said:

Ohh yeah it's referring directly to the wraith spire and wraith stealth coolers that come with certain Am4 processors, you can't infact mount those if the backplate is removed since they pin into that. Most aftermarket coolers have their own back plates though!

yep, that was the part that got me confused!

Thanks a ton for your help @St. Nick and @WoodenMarker !!