High Temps on Motherboard

Hi all,

Just bought a new motherboard for a computer that I have made for my fiance. Just wondering what can be causing this high temp on the motherboard. I have installed all the drivers from the motherboards website. The other thing that I have not done is a BIOS update. Would that be the cause of the issue.

Motherboard: MSI H81M-E33 - LGA 1150

20191212_221221.jpg

20191212_221212.jpg

Well this doesn’t look like a gaming PC.  Not enough thread spaces and not enough memory and the memory is slow.  The motherboard temp looks like a big deal to me though. 127c socket temp is insane. CPU shouldn’t even be able to get to 127c.  It should throttle the CPU well before that.  That it even happened implies there is a hardware problem of some kind.

Your CPU isn’t especially hot though which implies a bad motherboard.

The BIOS flash could conceivably fix things.  I’m not super optimistic myself, but it’s worth trying before trying to find another legacy motherboard.  

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

23 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

what sensor is it in hwinfo64?

Ran the software and below is the report.

sensor report.png

1 minute ago, AgentEddie99 said:

Ran the software and below is the report.

you are using the stock intel cooler or something else?

i suspect its the VRM that is running hot. this is taken under load?

17 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

you are using the stock intel cooler or something else?

i suspect its the VRM that is running hot. this is taken under load?

Yes using the stock Intel Cooler.

Just did some reseach and the VRMs are important for when the CPU is overclocking. Might have a look in the BIO settings to see if the motherboard has decided to do some overclocking out of the box ;).

44 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Well this doesn’t look like a gaming PC.  Not enough thread spaces and not enough memory and the memory is slow.  The motherboard temp looks like a big deal to me though. 127c socket temp is insane. CPU shouldn’t even be able to get to 127c.  It should throttle the CPU well before that.  That it even happened implies there is a hardware problem of some kind.

Your CPU isn’t especially hot though which implies a bad motherboard.

The BIOS flash could conceivably fix things.  I’m not super optimistic myself, but it’s worth trying before trying to find another legacy motherboard.  

With the above in mind, I might also flash a BIOS update and see if that resolves it.

1 minute ago, AgentEddie99 said:

ust did some reseach and the VRMs are important for when the CPU is overclocking. Might have a look in the BIO settings to see if the motherboard has decided to do some overclocking out of the box ;).

the mobo doesnt do overclocking afaik. 

so that is not a factor, could just be that it doesnt get any airflow and therefore the VRM is cooking itself. 

point a fan at the VRM heatsink. 

Just now, AgentEddie99 said:

Yes using the stock Intel Cooler.

Just did some reseach and the VRMs are important for when the CPU is overclocking. Might have a look in the BIO settings to see if the motherboard has decided to do some overclocking out of the box ;).

With the above in mind, I might also flash a BIOS update and see if that resolves it.

Looking at @GoldenLag’s points about VRM I am even less optimistic about it working than I was. If you have a board with inadequate VRM cooling, either through cooler choice or board design, it is not impossible that better cooling for the VRM might fix things.  The BIOS might possibly resolve an inefficiency that allows things to run cooler, but I am not particularly hopeful. 
some h series boards do have some limited and primitive overclocking capacity.  They tend to be hard on the motherboard though.  If you are using them currently it could explain your heat issue.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

5 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Looking at @GoldenLag’s points about VRM I am even less optimistic about it working than I was.

well i just want him to point a fan at it to see if the sensor is working at all. 

could just be a  broken sensor. 

So when in the BIOS the motherboard temp is at a decent temp.

Then flashed a newer version BIOS, reboot and still showing the temp is high on the motherboard in specy.

20191214_114229.jpg

The first picture says the vcore is 1.744V in bios. I'm not familiar with this processor, but does that seem quite high?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3950X   Motherboard: MSI X570 Gaming Edge Wifi   Case: Deepcool Maxtrexx 70   GPU: RTX 3090   RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 3x16GB 3200 MHz   PSU: Super Flower 850W

4 minutes ago, alyen said:

The first picture says the vcore is 1.744V in bios. I'm not familiar with this processor, but does that seem quite high?

Just did some research and found that the following and the user "JAWS" says that the default is 1.75v. So I'll still have a look in the bios to see if there is anything that is out of the ordinary.

https://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php/76670-Voltage-for-my-CPU

Idk about you guys but I've had multiple mobos in the past that report faulty temperature readings without any other indication they are overheating.  I even went so far as to borrow an infrared thermometer from work to see about temps around the motherboard and saw nothing concerning.  If you happen to have one or can get one, it would be a fairly easy test.

Personal Rig v3: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X | Noctua NH-U14S | Gigabyte B450 Aorus Pro ITX | Zotac GTX 2070 8GB | 16GB G-Skill Trident DDR4 3200MHz | EVGA Supernova 750B | Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX 

Peripherals: Sennheiser HD518 & Classic ModMic | Corsair K65 Luxe | Zowie EC2 | ASUS VG259QM  |  ASUS VG278E | Klipsch ProMedia 2.1

1 hour ago, AgentEddie99 said:

Just did some research and found that the following and the user "JAWS" says that the default is 1.75v. So I'll still have a look in the bios to see if there is anything that is out of the ordinary.

https://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php/76670-Voltage-for-my-CPU

So had a look in the BIOS and found nothing out of the ordinary. See attached photo. Let me know if I'm wrong.

53 minutes ago, Polyvalent said:

Idk about you guys but I've had multiple mobos in the past that report faulty temperature readings without any other indication they are overheating.  I even went so far as to borrow an infrared thermometer from work to see about temps around the motherboard and saw nothing concerning.  If you happen to have one or can get one, it would be a fairly easy test.

Oh that's interesting, I have had everything motherboard work fine with temps. My Dad is a electronic engineer, might see if he has something like what you have suggested.

20191215_184041.jpg