waking drive up for backup - freefilesync

perplex

sorry if its in the wrong section

im going to use freefilesync to make a mirror of my files.

the way it works is, it makes a batch file and you make task scheduler to run the batch when you want to mirror your files.

im going to copy C drive to D drive, but D drive is sleeping when not in use.

i know it takes time for the HDD to wake up before you can access it.

is there something do like add in the batch file to wake the drive, then delay 10 seconds before it continues?

You would be better off removing your D:\ drive and use it as an external drive by putting it a USB enclosure or using a USB dock, then keep it disconnected from the computer and powered down at all times except when updating your backup. Having the drive installed in the computer makes it susceptible to being infected by any viruses or other malware that get into your computer. It's what I do with my backup drives (I also use FreeFileSync) and it works just fine.

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

yea, but its not for me, they arnt as good with computers, so keeping it all automatic and neat is what im after

it is mainly for is to backup the C drive encase it fails before they back it up to a external drive manually

it could work fine with the batch file but im unsure

apparently there is a 20 second hardcoded delay inbuilt already and they are looking to manually edit the delay

i guess i could put the patch file on the drive that sleeps and see if that works