Buttkicker Gamer 2

Phil Cunningham

Hey Everyone!

My name is Phil and I am an Education Assistant in Penticton, BC. I am working with a student this year that is 100% dependent. (Wheel chair confined, non verbal, etc). During my time with him, I have noticed that he responds well to vibration. With that in mind, I started looking for a way that I could convert audio to something physical to help him explore his world more. Then I stumbled on this:

https://www.amazon.ca/Buttkicker-BK-GR2-Gamer2/dp/B000AOTLP6/ref=sr_1_1?crid=3C9U82BXAINWO&keywords=buttkicker+gamer+2&qid=1575929520&sprefix=buttkkicker+%2Caps%2C209&sr=8-1

Looking at this gave me a number of ideas. However, I am running into a lot of hesitation when it comes to requesting funds. The general idea is, this is a theory, and i have no proof that it will work for my intended needs. However, given the unit is 260$ before tax, and i can't find anywhere local that has one in stock i could snag (Other then ordering online) its hard to prove it will work.

SO! I have turned to this community for help! Does ANYONE out there have one of these things? I would love to talk to someone with one, and maybe get them to try a few things to see if it will suit my needs. This would give me a much better standing to tell the higher ups "Hey! This works and i have the proof!" =D

Any help would be appreciated. ^_^

Thanks,

Phil

Cant help you man but good luck your work is valuable and very important.

17 hours ago, Phil Cunningham said:

Hey Everyone!

My name is Phil and I am an Education Assistant in Penticton, BC. I am working with a student this year that is 100% dependent. (Wheel chair confined, non verbal, etc). During my time with him, I have noticed that he responds well to vibration. With that in mind, I started looking for a way that I could convert audio to something physical to help him explore his world more. Then I stumbled on this:

https://www.amazon.ca/Buttkicker-BK-GR2-Gamer2/dp/B000AOTLP6/ref=sr_1_1?crid=3C9U82BXAINWO&keywords=buttkicker+gamer+2&qid=1575929520&sprefix=buttkkicker+%2Caps%2C209&sr=8-1

Looking at this gave me a number of ideas. However, I am running into a lot of hesitation when it comes to requesting funds. The general idea is, this is a theory, and i have no proof that it will work for my intended needs. However, given the unit is 260$ before tax, and i can't find anywhere local that has one in stock i could snag (Other then ordering online) its hard to prove it will work.

SO! I have turned to this community for help! Does ANYONE out there have one of these things? I would love to talk to someone with one, and maybe get them to try a few things to see if it will suit my needs. This would give me a much better standing to tell the higher ups "Hey! This works and i have the proof!" =D

Any help would be appreciated. ^_^

Thanks,

Phil

Hey Phil! 

From what you're describing, a buttkicker us not your best option here, you should look for a speaker amp and an audio transducer, or bone conduction audio.

Let me explain: 

The buttkicker is an audio transducer (taking an analog audio signal and converting it into strong, physical vibration), but it is specifically designed for frequencies below 200Hz (very low in terms of the full human hearing range of 20Hz-20kHz), and for additive effect when used with headphones. It's also not designed to be used as a standalone system. They're designed to use a pair of traditional headphones and just add low end. They're fairly overpriced for this.

A traditional audio transducer or bone conductor system on the other hand, converts full range human hearing into physical vibration. 

For example, a headset like This headset from Aftershokz sits in front of your ear on top of your cheekbone, and physically vibrates to conduct sound that can be heard when that vibration passes through your skull to the outside of your ear canal. 

(Full link for sourcing: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N51R0GL/ref=cm_sw_r_tw_dp_U_x_cz87DbNVPEDNZ

Another configuration you can look at is bass exciters and transducers with an amplifier. These act in a similar way, by converting analog audio to physical vibration, but are focused on low frequencies again. Difference is price. Getting a transducer, amp and cables is often cheaper then getting a buttkicker.

Here's a simple parts list I would use for something like this:

Transducer: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071LH266V/ref=cm_sw_r_tw_dp_U_x_MA87Db5F8F14T

Amplifier: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B076XSBCCL/ref=cm_sw_r_tw_dp_U_x_8l97DbZVBRGMF (Use the Aux input, not bluetooth) 

Bone conducting headphones: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N51R0GL/ref=cm_sw_r_tw_dp_U_x_cz87DbNVPEDNZ 

If you want or need more info feel free to reply! I'd be glad to help. :D 

Fine you want the PSU tier list? Have the PSU tier list: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1116640-psu-tier-list-40-rev-103/

Stille (Desktop)

Ryzen 9 3900XT@4.5Ghz - Cryorig H7 Ultimate - 16GB Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz- MSI RTX 3080 Ti Ventus 3x OC - SanDisk Plus 480GB - Crucial MX500 500GB - Intel 660P 1TB SSD - (2x) WD Red 2TB - EVGA G3 650w - Corsair 760T

Evoo Gaming 15"
i7-9750H - 16GB DDR4 - GTX 1660Ti - 480GB SSD M.2 - 1TB 2.5" BX500 SSD 

VM + NAS Server (ProxMox 6.3)

1x Xeon E5-2690 v2  - 92GB ECC DDR3 - Quadro 4000 - Dell H310 HBA (Flashed with IT firmware) -500GB Crucial MX500 (Proxmox Host) Kingston 128GB SSD (FreeNAS dev/ID passthrough) - 8x4TB Toshiba N300 HDD

Toys: Ender 3 Pro, Oculus Rift CV1, Oculus Quest 2, about half a dozen raspberry Pis (2b to 4), Arduino Uno, Arduino Mega, Arduino nano (x3), Arduino nano pro, Atomic Pi. 

Hello Brink,

Thank you for the reply! =D

Yeah i was looking at similar devices like you have listed but am running into more of a logistical problem then anything else. Allow me to explain.

Because of the challenges of the child i am working with, attaching anything to him directly isn't an option. Headphones, etc, just wont work. The only stable platform i have is his wheel chair.

His hearing, as far as tests have shown, is spot on. He can hear very well. In fact one of our favorite activities is simply chilling out and listing to all forms of music.

The separate transducer and amp setup was what i originally was looking at. But the more i looked at it, the more problems i was facing. The device would need to be wired with speaker wire, repeated hook up and disconnect might take its toll, it needs to be as simple as possible so anyone NOT technically inclined can still operate it... While i agree with you that the Buttkicker is designed for only low frequencies, and is designed to be paired with headphones, i could substitute headphones with a pair of speakers (Even a rechargeable speaker with AUX connection) and hang it all off his chair with cable management to keep it mobile, while also being easy to remove from the chair when needed. Then its just a matter of managing 3.5mm jack connections, something anyone can do. The Buttkicker also has the ability to increase or decrease the vibration, something that was very appealing. As far as getting the shaker to fire, i can always play with different audio samples to get the desired effects.

I am not writing off the transducer and amp idea, as its still my fallback, its more of an issue of getting everyone on board making it as simple as humanly possible. But if you know of a more "All in one" Solution that doesn't require a lot of setup and take down, i am all ears as that is my over all goal.

I hope that clears some things up?

Phil