Ryzen 5 3600 + 5700XT upgrade - Cooler and Case fan questions

Tomthehitman

Hi!

So I have decided to upgrade my current PC as I am gaming with a 1440p monitor and am wanting to achieve 60FPS, I think the current CPU still has life in it but due to the ITX and size of the case I would need a new mobo for the 5700xt so have decided to do a full upgrade.

From this:

CPU -   i5 - 5690k (4.6Ghz OC) - H80 AIO COOLER

GPU -   RX 480

RAM -   Vengence 8GB (2x 4GB) DDR3 1600MHz

Mobo -  Z87e ITX

PSU -   SuperFlower 550w Gold

Case -  Riotoro CR180 ITX

Monitor - Dell U2515H 1440

To this:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor  (£175.98 @ Aria PC)
Motherboard: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard  (£99.94 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: Patriot Viper 4 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory  (£50.81 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: PowerColor Radeon RX 5700 XT 8 GB Red Devil Video Card  (£399.95 @ Amazon UK)
Case: Phanteks Eclipse P400A Digital ATX Mid Tower Case  (£79.99 @ Box Limited)
Total: £806.67
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-12-06 18:16 GMT+0000

My questions are:

Does this look okay?

Will the 550w PSU be enough?

What is the best fan configuration and where would it be best to place the H80 AIO? I have 3 RGB front fans that come with the case and have 3 x 120mm fans I can take from the old case. Can the AIO be put on the exhaust fan, or would it be best to use the stock cooler?

Sorry if these are stupid questions, I have done some research but this is my first time building a PC in quite a while and just want to make sure I get it right.

Many thanks ?

Hello, 

8 minutes ago, Tomthehitman said:

Does this look okay?

Nothing wrong, you can save some money with the Gaming Plus Max or A-Pro Max.

9 minutes ago, Tomthehitman said:

What is the best fan configuration and where would it be best to place the H80 AIO? I have 3 RGB front fans that come with the case and have 3 x 120mm fans I can take from the old case. Can the AIO be put on the exhaust fan, or would it be best to use the stock cooler?

You can use the stock cooler but your AIO will do fine as exhaust, thought it's maybe a little old now and could fail.

10 minutes ago, Tomthehitman said:

Will the 550w PSU be enough?

Yes, it's enough, but what's the exact model and age ?

1 hour ago, Plouffe said:

Nothing wrong, you can save some money with the Gaming Plus Max or A-Pro Max.

Is there much difference in it? I have look an everywhere seems to recommend the tomahawk due to the VRM? As far as I can tell the 3600 and 5700XT don't have much headroom for OC so that shouldn't be too much of an issue?

You can use the stock cooler but your AIO will do fine as exhaust, thought it's maybe a little old now and could fail.

Yes , I am not sure on the life span of a AIO but I got this from a friend who thinks it was purchased in about 2011 so quite some time ago, maybe it worth upgrading. Could you advise on a after market cooler or do you think the Wraith Stealth would be sufficient?

Yes, it's enough, but what's the exact model and age ?

It is a Superflower SF-550914XE HX

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/super-flower-golden-green-hx-550w-80-plus-gold-power-supply-black-ca-003-sf.html

Once again this was from a friend but he said it is much more recent. Do you think it would be worth upgrading?

32 minutes ago, Tomthehitman said:

Is there much difference in it? I have look an everywhere seems to recommend the tomahawk due to the VRM? As far as I can tell the 3600 and 5700XT don't have much headroom for OC so that shouldn't be too much of an issue?

Yep, also they are really close VRM wise, the Tomahawk is maybe a little better but for a 3600 the A-Pro and Gaming Plus are more than enough (get the cheaper one).

Yes , I am not sure on the life span of a AIO but I got this from a friend who thinks it was purchased in about 2011 so quite some time ago, maybe it worth upgrading. Could you advise on a after market cooler or do you think the Wraith Stealth would be sufficient?

If you don't plan to OC, the one included is good but can get loud, a cheap and good option is the eSports 34 DUO or a litlle more expensive, but dual tower, the Scythe Fuma 2.

It is a Superflower SF-550914XE HX

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/super-flower-golden-green-hx-550w-80-plus-gold-power-supply-black-ca-003-sf.html

Once again this was from a friend but he said it is much more recent. Do you think it would be worth upgrading?

It's kinda old but good so I advise to change it too.

3 hours ago, Plouffe said:

If you don't plan to OC, the one included is good but can get loud, a cheap and good option is the eSports 34 DUO or a litlle more expensive, but dual tower, the Scythe Fuma 2.

Would you say that the Arctic Freezer would be okay if I have another fan to mount on the other side of it?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07MFVG2BY/ref=emc_b_5_t

5 hours ago, Tomthehitman said:

I think the current CPU still has life in it but due to the ITX and size of the case I would need a new mobo for the 5700xt so have decided to do a full upgrade.

If you wanted to see what life it still has there are plenty of Mini ITX cases that support a full sized GPU.

If your PSU is SFX sized, you've got everything you need for something like a Node 202 case and a full sized GPU.

(If your PSU is ATX, you'd need a new SFX PSU as well.)