Here is my newly built rig:
AMD Ryzen 5 2600 (stock cooler)

MSi B450 Tomahawk MAX
G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3200 2x8GB
Intel 660p 512GB M.2 NVMe SSD
Inno3D GeForce GTX 1660 Ti 
Thermaltake 650W 80+ White Non-modular
Vikings Shield VKS-30 Mid-Tower

What would be an AMD-based upgrade path in the future for this? (CPU only; I prefer Nvidia GPU drivers more)

Honestly the build is pretty well balanced so unless you upgrade your GPU I dont really see any real reason to upgrade the CPU. My guess would be once you do upgrade the gpu the 3rd gen ryzen or maybe 4th gen ryzen would be a good option. As far as what sku I would probably go with an 8 core personally. 

55 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

Honestly the build is pretty well balanced so unless you upgrade your GPU I dont really see any real reason to upgrade the CPU. My guess would be once you do upgrade the gpu the 3rd gen ryzen or maybe 4th gen ryzen would be a good option. As far as what sku I would probably go with an 8 core personally. 

Thanks! Is the Ryzen 7 3800x worth it or should I just grab a 3700x?

5 minutes ago, Grayxol said:

Thanks! Is the Ryzen 7 3800x worth it or should I just grab a 3700x?

Depends on pricing.  You should be able to put a 3950 in that if you needed to.  Wouldn’t be able to overclock it, but they don’t overclock much anyway

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

48 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Depends on pricing.  You should be able to put a 3950 in that if you needed to.  Wouldn’t be able to overclock it, but they don’t overclock much anyway

what's a good cooler for high-end ryzen tho?

4 minutes ago, Grayxol said:

what's a good cooler for high-end ryzen tho?

My impression is that the stock coolers are generally adequate because overclocking Ryzen is nearly pointless.  There is an argument for a slightly larger than stock cooling if only to drop maximum temps to increase cpu service life.  This applies mostly to the low tdp chips though.  I’m not so sure about the 39xx stuff.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

3 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

My impression is that the stock coolers are generally adequate because overclocking Ryzen is nearly pointless.  There is an argument for a slightly larger than stock cooling if only to drop maximum temps to increase cpu service life.  This applies mostly to the low tdp chips though.  I’m not so sure about the 39xx stuff.

Would a heat sink be better than an AIO cooler though?

2 minutes ago, Grayxol said:

Would a heat sink be better than an AIO cooler though?

Do you mean an air cooler vs a water cooler?

it occurs to me that India qualifies as a hot tropical country.  In the southern areas of India with very hot summers a stock cooler might not be able to keep up.  They were designed in cooler areas.  You might in fact need more cooler.  I don’t know.

5 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Do you mean an air cooler vs a water cooler?

it occurs to me that India qualifies as a hot tropical country.  In the southern areas of India with very hot summers a stock cooler might not be able to keep up.  They were designed in cooler areas.  You might in fact need more cooler.  I don’t know.

I live in the Philippines in an air conditioned room. Is a closed-loop water cooler that necessary?

Just now, Grayxol said:

I live in the Philippines in an air conditioned room. Is a closed-loop water cooler that necessary?

I personally am not a fan of water coolers.  They have certain advantages. But on the whole if the computer is not going to be moved I find an air cooler to be more reliable.  Part of it is how much heat you need to get rid of.  At the higher end of hot chips a water cooler improves, but at the lower end it gets weaker as a choice.  The Achilles heel of air coolers is their low maximum tdp, while the Achilles heel of water coolers is cost and the pump.