(Repost) G-Sync Issues

Hey guys I have the dell s2417dg and a 1080p monitor non gsync connected to my pc. I enabled gsync and vsync via nvidia control panel and capped my fps to 141. My fps goes from 131 to 141 and fluctuates rapidly. When I turn vsync off in nvidia control panel I get a consistent 141 FPS. But there is slight screen tearing. Is this normal? I also had this issue with an old gsync compatible monitor but did not think anything of it.

Edit: forgot to mention, sometimes it will stay at a locked 141.....

It’s normal.  It means while the monitor can do a consistent 144fps your Game/gpu can’t quite.  The lows are apparently in the 130s. This causes the tearing. With gsynch on your monitor will allow for the low frame rates so you won’t see the tearing but will also drop its frame rate to match what the game/gpu can put out at any given time.  When it’s locked at 144 it means that the rig is able to keep everything at 144 or above.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

23 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

It’s normal.  It means while the monitor can do a consistent 144fps your Game/gpu can’t quite.  The lows are apparently in the 130s. This causes the tearing. With gsynch on your monitor will allow for the low frame rates so you won’t see the tearing but will also drop its frame rate to match what the game/gpu can put out at any given time.  When it’s locked at 144 it means that the rig is able to keep everything at 144 or above.

But is it normal that when I have vsync on IT fluctuates but when I disable vsync its locked at 144?

TLDNR:  yes. I think. Unless I misunderstood what you said which is very possible.

Why this confuses me:

Definitions of “it” are vague to me here.

Was vsynch a typo?

vsynch is “vertical synch”. It is an old crt tube thing and is not gsynch (a Nvidia brand name) or freesynch (an AMD brandname that was made open standard) these things control and vary vsynch but are not them.

Assuming it was and you meant gsynch I do not know what it’s behavior is.

Assuming it was not you may be conflating vsynch which is the thing gsynch changes, and gsynch itself. 

Assuming it was not AND making some assumptions about the different possible definitions of “it”:

gsynch controls vsynch, so when gsynch is on, vsynch will vary according to you GPU’s ability to spit out renders frames.  Gsynch can reduce vsynch from its maximum but not increase it.  When it is off vsynch will snap back to its maximum level.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

21 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

TLDNR:  yes. I think. Unless I misunderstood what you said which is very possible.

Why this confuses me:

Definitions of “it” are vague to me here.

Was vsynch a typo?

vsynch is “vertical synch”. It is an old crt tube thing and is not gsynch (a Nvidia brand name) or freesynch (an AMD brandname that was made open standard) these things control and vary vsynch but are not them.

Assuming it was and you meant gsynch I do not know what it’s behavior is.

Assuming it was not you may be conflating vsynch which is the thing gsynch changes, and gsynch itself. 

Assuming it was not AND making some assumptions about the different possible definitions of “it”:

gsynch controls vsynch, so when gsynch is on, vsynch will vary according to you GPU’s ability to spit out renders frames.  Gsynch can reduce vsynch from its maximum but not increase it.  When it is off vsynch will snap back to its maximum level.

Lol wtf did I just read?? Clearer please, and yes it was a typo I mean v-sync

58 minutes ago, Randomizer23 said:

Lol wtf did I just read?? Clearer please, and yes it was a typo I mean v-sync

So you do mean “vertical synch”. That helps.

i will try to rephrase.  I’ll just bag the entire explanation of why in fact.

Yes.  It is normal.