Private Web/Game server security

JustCallMeStevePlease
Go to solution Solved by kirashi,
1 hour ago, JustCallMeStevePlease said:

I have recently repurposed an old computer of mine into a server that I host games and my test webpage on, however, I have concerns with security. I could only make the servers work after I put the PC into DMZ, but I got an extra firewall running on it, so it's like the Server pc is sandwiched between the Internet and my LAN, protected in both directions, but I would rather keep it inside, and just forward the ports. what are the possible threats that can attack my server if I stick to this configuration?

If you keep the server DMZ'd, you'll definitely want to ensure the software firewall is configured appropriately, maybe adding an additional layer of protection using something like fail2ban or similar. The positive side of this is that you don't need to manually port forward different ports for every service running on the server, but the downside is that your firewall needs more attention to detail.

On the other hand, if you un-DMZ the server, you'll have to manually port forward different ports for services running on the server, in addition to ensuring the firewall is configured correctly.

Either way, you'll want to ensure the firewall is configured correctly for ANY device connecting to the open internet.

I have recently repurposed an old computer of mine into a server that I host games and my test webpage on, however, I have concerns with security. I could only make the servers work after I put the PC into DMZ, but I got an extra firewall running on it, so it's like the Server pc is sandwiched between the Internet and my LAN, protected in both directions, but I would rather keep it inside, and just forward the ports. what are the possible threats that can attack my server if I stick to this configuration?

1 hour ago, JustCallMeStevePlease said:

If you keep the server DMZ'd, you'll definitely want to ensure the software firewall is configured appropriately, maybe adding an additional layer of protection using something like fail2ban or similar. The positive side of this is that you don't need to manually port forward different ports for every service running on the server, but the downside is that your firewall needs more attention to detail.

On the other hand, if you un-DMZ the server, you'll have to manually port forward different ports for services running on the server, in addition to ensuring the firewall is configured correctly.

Either way, you'll want to ensure the firewall is configured correctly for ANY device connecting to the open internet.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

Thanks, a buddy of mine is somewhat of an expert in the field, and we managed to make it pretty good so I'm going to stuck with the DMZ for easiness sake.