Unable to Access Jarfile Error

Go to solution Solved by Crunchy Dragon,
4 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

Try doing the same command but instead of server.jar put C:\Users\Crunchy/ Dragon\Desktop\server.jar or wherever it is

Found a fix. This one was strange, so I'm documenting it here in case some poor soul searching the internet comes across this thread.

This problem was fixed by going into the server.jar properties:

image.png.ca4456587a08a8ad7d6016476c7bb288.png

The problem was that Windows blocked it, preventing cmd from reading it. All you'd have to do is check the "Unblock" box and give it the "Read-only" attribute. This should let the following command properly execute the server.jar:

java -Xms1G -Xmx3G -jar server.jar

Note: your memory allocation may vary from mine.

Shout out to @colonel_mortis for offering your aid as Master Coding Guru.

Trying to give my Minecraft server a bit more RAM, but I can't make it work. Attempting to follow this guide:

https://www.minecraftforum.net/forums/support/server-support-and/2457262-tutorial-allocating-more-ram-to-minecraft-servers

I'm not getting any activity from running the .bat file, though. A command prompt window pops up for half a second and then closes. I'd guess it's throwing the same error that CMD does if I try to run the server using the "java -jar" command, which is "unable to access jarfile".

I made sure I'm in the right directory before trying "java -jar" and I triple checked that the filenames match, no dice.

EDIT: I also tried running CMD as an administrator, same result.

Anyone able to help out?
Thanks in advance.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

Not sure if it's similar on Windows but on Linux you have to go to:

Minecraft launcher > your desired MC version > edit > link the file location of the .jar file

If it's a *server*, shouldn't there be a config file somewhere? There is on Linux...rather, a start.sh file that acts as a basic config file.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

1 minute ago, kelvinhall05 said:

Not sure if it's similar on Windows but on Linux you have to go to:

Minecraft launcher > your desired MC version > edit > link the file location of the .jar file

If it's a *server*, shouldn't there be a config file somewhere? There is on Linux...rather, a start.sh file that acts as a basic config file.

There's server.properties, but that won't let me change the allocated RAM.

I can launch the server just fine from running my server.jar, but that sticks me with the RAM capped at 1024MB.

Screenshot of the server folder:

Spoiler

image.png.1e7dc27833152ff03e113d69b4f731f6.png

server.jar launches the server.

server.properties(located directly under server.jar) lets me change a few assorted server features.

start.bat is the file I created from following the guide linked in my OP.

start.bat is supposed to run the following command:

java -xms3G -xmx3G -jar server.jar

If I change directories in CMD and try to run that exact same command, I get "Unable to access jarfile".

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

5 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

There's server.properties, but that won't let me change the allocated RAM.

I can launch the server just fine from running my server.jar, but that sticks me with the RAM capped at 1024MB.

Screenshot of the server folder:

Reveal hidden contents

image.png.1e7dc27833152ff03e113d69b4f731f6.png

server.jar launches the server.

server.properties(located directly under server.jar) lets me change a few assorted server features.

start.bat is the file I created from following the guide linked in my OP.

start.bat is supposed to run the following command:

If I change directories in CMD and try to run that exact same command, I get "Unable to access jarfile".

Can you edit the start.bat file?

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

1 minute ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

I can, yes.

I would assume that there's something similar in it to the bat file you made.

Anyway, set -xmx to however much RAM you'd like it to use (max amount).

SPECS:

🏳️‍🌈

Just now, kelvinhall05 said:

I would assume that there's something similar in it to the bat file you made.

Anyway, set -xmx to however much RAM you'd like it to use (max amount).

I have done that, I'm not getting anything if I run the file though.

2 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

I have done that, I'm not getting anything if I run the file though.

Again, not very familiar with Windows, but what happens if you open the run box (win + r) and type in the file location?

EDIT: I'm thinking this because to start the server on Linux you just run the start.sh file.

SPECS:

🏳️‍🌈

Again, not very familiar with Windows, but what happens if you open the run box (win + r) and type in the file location?

EDIT: I'm thinking this because to start the server on Linux you just run the start.sh file.

Windows will either say it can't find the directory, or if I type in the full directory up to the start.bat, it'll behave the same way as if I ran start.bat directly.

Apparently Win+R doesn't work very nicely just for exploring files.

1 minute ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Windows will either say it can't find the directory, or if I type in the full directory up to the start.bat, it'll behave the same way as if I ran start.bat directly.

Apparently Win+R doesn't work very nicely just for exploring files.

How would you normally start the server?

SPECS:

🏳️‍🌈

How would you normally start the server?

Run server.jar.

EDIT: I have to screw around with java arguments and commands because that's the only way Mojang has available to allocate more RAM to a server, can't do it from server.properties unfortunately.

Just now, Crunchy Dragon said:

Run server.jar.

EDIT: I have to screw around with java arguments and commands because that's the only way Mojang has available to allocate more RAM to a server, can't do it from server.properties unfortunately.

Can you post the contents of the start.bat file

EDIT: Also of the server.jar file

SPECS:

🏳️‍🌈

Can you post the contents of the start.bat file

Just now, Crunchy Dragon said:

Alright. And it still doesn't allocate more RAM? Have you confirmed this somehow?

Also, not sure if you saw my edit, but if you can see what's in server.jar could you post that as well?

SPECS:

🏳️‍🌈

I'm not a programmer nor do I run an MC server but IIRC it starts like this:

start.bat runs server.jar with the allocated amount of RAM, then server.jar loads all your other stuff (mods, plugins, server resourcepacks, etc).

SPECS:

🏳️‍🌈

Alright. And it still doesn't allocate more RAM? Have you confirmed this somehow?

Also, not sure if you saw my edit, but if you can see what's in server.jar could you post that as well?

server.jar opens the GUI version of the Minecraft server, letting me view online players, console, and memory usage.

I could check and see if it actually allocates more RAM. The guide said it was supposed to launch the server with the allocated memory, hence the java arguments in the command.

EDIT: not actually sure how to tell if it's allocated more RAM or not, the GUI is not very intuitive.

2 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

server.jar opens the GUI version of the Minecraft server, letting me view online players, console, and memory usage.

I could check and see if it actually allocates more RAM. The guide said it was supposed to launch the server with the allocated memory, hence the java arguments in the command.

Well yeah make sure it can use up to 3GB of RAM.

I guess you can think of your start.bat not starting a server but almost like starting a VM. If it says 3GB is allocated, 3GB should be allocated unless some funky overriding is going on somewhere.

SPECS:

🏳️‍🌈

Well yeah make sure it can use up to 3GB of RAM.

I guess you can think of your start.bat not starting a server but almost like starting a VM. If it says 3GB is allocated, 3GB should be allocated unless some funky overriding is going on somewhere.

It's sitting at 320MB usage, 35% free at the moment.

If my math is right, 35% of 3072 is around 1000, not 300.

5 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

It's sitting at 320MB usage, 35% free at the moment.

If my math is right, 35% of 3072 is around 1000, not 300.

Not sure if this will make a difference but change 3GB to 3072MB and have the minimum RAM amount (-Xms) set to like 1024MB.

Also not sure how much of a difference it makes but the RAM flags are supposed to be capitalized (-Xms and -Xmx).

SPECS:

🏳️‍🌈

I would also try to, from command line, CD into your server folder and run what's in the start.bat server manually, so

java -Xms1024MB -Xmx3072MB -jar server.jar

SPECS:

🏳️‍🌈

I would also try to, from command line, CD into your server folder and run what's in the start.bat server manually, so

java -Xms1024MB -Xmx3072MB -jar server.jar

Unable to access jarfile "server.jar".

7 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Unable to access jarfile "server.jar".

Are you in your server folder when running the file? If you are, try putting the exact file location (with folders/subfolders) before server.jar.

SPECS:

🏳️‍🌈

Are you in your server folder when running the file? If you are, try putting the exact file location (with folders/subfolders) before server.jar.

Yes, I changed directories into my server folder.

Ninja edit:

image.png.79f5a9f64a4ea0e62fa0fd62b6f0231b.png

19 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Yes, I changed directories into my server folder.

Ninja edit:

image.png.79f5a9f64a4ea0e62fa0fd62b6f0231b.png

Try doing the same command but instead of server.jar put C:\Users\Crunchy/ Dragon\Desktop\server.jar or wherever it is

SPECS:

🏳️‍🌈

Found a fix. This one was strange, so I'm documenting it here in case some poor soul searching the internet comes across this thread.

This problem was fixed by going into the server.jar properties:

image.png.ca4456587a08a8ad7d6016476c7bb288.png

The problem was that Windows blocked it, preventing cmd from reading it. All you'd have to do is check the "Unblock" box and give it the "Read-only" attribute. This should let the following command properly execute the server.jar:

java -Xms1G -Xmx3G -jar server.jar

Note: your memory allocation may vary from mine.

Shout out to @colonel_mortis for offering your aid as Master Coding Guru.