Memory Upgrade Advice!

I am currently contemplating on upgrading my memory (RAM) on my laptop. Contained within is a Samsung 4GB DDR4 2133MHz. I found a compatible Samsung part which carries the following specifications: 8GB DDR4 2666MHz. 

I was told that if I were to combine those two memories (the Samsung 4GB 2133MHz and 8GB 2666MHz) the laptop would still run at the lowest speed memory, the 2133MHz, and I would not get its full potential.

Should I simply buy a Samsung 8GB DDR4 2133MHz memory and combine that with what I currently have (the Samsung 4GB DDR4 2133MHz)? Would this now be considered 4GB + 8GB = 12GB? 

Any response will be highly appreciated! I would like to purchase it tonight. 

6 minutes ago, Elihu19 said:

I am currently contemplating on upgrading my memory (RAM) on my laptop. Contained within is a Samsung 4GB DDR4 2133MHz. I found a compatible Samsung part which carries the following specifications: 8GB DDR4 2666MHz. 

I was told that if I were to combine those two memories (the Samsung 4GB 2133MHz and 8GB 2666MHz) the laptop would still run at the lowest speed memory, the 2133MHz, and I would not get its full potential.

Should I simply buy a Samsung 8GB DDR4 2133MHz memory and combine that with what I currently have (the Samsung 4GB DDR4 2133MHz)? Would this now be considered 4GB + 8GB = 12GB? 

Any response will be highly appreciated! I would like to purchase it tonight. 

Yes, the memory controller will run both sticks at the lowest speed. You can combine 4+8, but then you won't have dual channel. So 4+4 might be better in terms of throughput.

You should check to see what types of RAM your laptop supports, just to be sure. This can typically be found online, manufacturers support page for example.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

Just now, Elihu19 said:

@Eigenvektor 

Thanks! One more question. When using dual channel, do both memory sticks have to be the same GB? (E.g.: 4GB x 2)

Yes, for dual channel you ideally want the same size, speed and CAS latency. There is something called "FLEX mode", where part of mixed RAM operates in dual channel and some of it does not though. I'm not sure if this is supported by all motherboards and/or laptops.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply