I5-7400 Performance

I have a i5-7400 with 16gb of memory and a gtx1660ti recently bought.

I have been playing Assassins Creed Odyssey and the game stuters like crazy in some scenes, even in low to medium settings. I've seen some videos where, with the same cpu but inferior gpu the game doesnt stuter like that. Do you think that I can have some problem with the CPU? I know there is a bottleneck but in this game i really dont see an improvement over my old gtx 1050ti. 

Can you give some advice to try to identify the problem?

Cheers.

AC Odyssey is a game that takes advantage on multiple cores and has been said that 4 cores is just not enough for such a game. GTA is kind of the same way but less severe. Most likely your core count (not single threaded performance) is affecting your smooth gameplay.

6 minutes ago, kdawwgg1221 said:

AC Odyssey is a game that takes advantage on multiple cores and has been said that 4 cores is just not enough for such a game. GTA is kind of the same way but less severe. Most likely your core count (not single threaded performance) is affecting your smooth gameplay.

I have the same cpu on one of my machines paired with gtx 1060 and it's fine, no stutters, no high fps, but stable, gta V also is very stable on 4 cores and even stays way above 60 fps, I think you are talking nonsense a bit, or at least exaggerating quite a bit, I wonder if op's having some problems with thermals, how are the temps @japgil93 ? Maybe you are trying to play on 1440p?

Edited by noxdeouroboros

What's the refresh rate of your monitor? Have you tried to enable vSync?

If you're gaming on a monitor with a refresh rate of 60 hertz and the game is running over 60 frames it will appear as if it's stuttering because the monitor cannot keep up with the application/game. Enabling vSync will correct this.

Intel Core i7 9700F / Cooler Master 212 Evo / GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER / 16 GB G.SKILL RAM @ 2666MHz / GA-B365M-DS3H / EVGA 500w PSU

HP Pavilion Gaming 15 / Ryzen 5 4600H / GeForce GTX 1050 / 8 GB @ 3200MHz

Just now, noxdeouroboros said:

I have the same cpu on one of my machines paired with gtx 1060 and it's fine, no stutters, no high fps, but stable, gta V also is very stable on 4 cores and even stays way above 60 fps, I think you are talking nonsense a bit, or at least exagerating quite a bit, I wonder if op's having some problems with thermals, how are the temps @japgil93 ?

The thermals are great, in the 50ºC range, sometimes spiking to 60º. I've been monitoring my cpu and its on 90%ish utilization but it never its 99%.

2 minutes ago, Brent744 said:

What's the refresh rate of your monitor? Have you tried to enable vSync?

I've tried and no improvement. I don't know if that helps, but I have 1080p monitor and a 1080p TV connected to the GPU. But I usually turn of my monitor if I choose to play on the tv.

1 minute ago, japgil93 said:

The thermals are great, in the 50ºC range, sometimes spiking to 60º. I've been monitoring my cpu and its on 90%ish utilization but it never its 99%.

4 minutes ago, noxdeouroboros said:

Maybe you are trying to play on 1440p?

Also,v syn enabled?

Just now, japgil93 said:

I've tried and no improvement. I don't know if that helps, but I have 1080p monitor and a 1080p TV connected to the GPU. But I usually turn of my monitor if I choose to play on the tv.

Did you use DDU after installing new gpu? Also, how are the gpu temps?

5 minutes ago, noxdeouroboros said:

I have the same cpu on one of my machines paired with gtx 1060 and it's fine, no stutters, no high fps, but stable, gta V also is very stable on 4 cores and even stays way above 60 fps, I think you are talking nonsense a bit, or at least exaggerating quite a bit, I wonder if op's having some problems with thermals, how are the temps @japgil93 ? Maybe you are trying to play on 1440p?

No. Both my monitor and TV are 1080p. My fps, on medium or very high are 35 to 45, sometimes dipping to 25-30

1 minute ago, noxdeouroboros said:

Did you use DDU after installing new gpu? Also, how are the gpu temps?

No. Do you think that can be the problem? The gpu temps are in the 65 to 70º range

Interesting, sounds like maybe the GPU is not even being utilized. Download "HWMonitor", start the program, run the game then verify that the GPU is being utilized. If not report back and I have a way to force Windows to use the GPU. This was an issue with certain AMD mobile chips and a Windows update a couple years back. Windows would choose to use integrated graphics over discrete.

Intel Core i7 9700F / Cooler Master 212 Evo / GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER / 16 GB G.SKILL RAM @ 2666MHz / GA-B365M-DS3H / EVGA 500w PSU

2 minutes ago, japgil93 said:

No. Do you think that can be the problem? The gpu temps are in the 65 to 70º range

It might be, I had some problems a while back. Gpu temps are fine, not amazing but really okay.

Edited by noxdeouroboros

7 minutes ago, Brent744 said:

Interesting, sounds like maybe the GPU is not even being utilized. Download "HWMonitor", start the program, run the game then verify that the GPU is being utilized. If not report back and I have a way to force Windows to use the GPU. This was an issue with certain AMD mobile chips and a Windows update a couple years back. Windows would choose to use integrated graphics over discrete.

It's maybe possible, but unlikely don't you think? If gpu wasn't utilized temperatures shouldn't go up, at least not to 65 or 70.

20 minutes ago, noxdeouroboros said:

I guess I read differently. That is why we are here, to learn :)

5 minutes ago, noxdeouroboros said:

It's maybe possible, but unlikely don't you think? If gpu wasn't utilized temperatures shouldn't go up, at least not to 65 or 70.

Yes this is true. If that is 70 Celsius then the GPU is definitely being utilized.

Hi guys, thanks for all the feedback yesterday. So fearing that it might be a software issue like someone pointed out, I formated my pc last night and from the small tests I made with Odyssey I think the fps are way more stable, even at very high definitions. On the weekend I'll test some more and let you know.

3 hours ago, japgil93 said:

What motherboard do you have?

What is your memory speed?

Asus b250 something, cant remember the exact model. 

16gb ddr4 2400Mhz