CPU goes down to 1.2GHz

Hi, so recently I have been noticing that I have been lagging in games for a few seconds and they it would go back to normal. So I opened HWMoniter and every time I would lag my CPU would go from 3.06 GHz to 1.2 GHz. Can you guys tell me whats happening and how to fix it. My temps are on 75 °C most of the time and my max temp is 80°C. Im using a Xeon x3480.

Does this happen in every single game you've tried? Have you tried enabling high performance mode in Windows, or resettings the CMOS?

Also, if I'm not mistaken, at least older Xeons used to have lower TJMax values than Intel's consumer grade chips (the temperature at which the CPU will start to throttle). Have you tried raising the CPU fan speed, or cleaning the cooler/entire PC?

Edited by Mateyyy

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

It happens in every game and i have ultimate performance enabled

Im using a GTX 960. It happened in Destiny 2 and GTA 5 and also Fortnite and sometimes Minecraft. I use low settings in Minecraft and Fortnite and High settings in GTA 5 and Destiny 2 I also tried low setting on Destiny 2 but it didnt do anything

12 minutes ago, Mateyyy said:

Does this happen in every single game you've tried? Have you tried enabling high performance mode in Windows, or resettings the CMOS?

Also, if I'm not mistaken, at least older Xeons used to have lower TJMax values than Intel's consumer grade chips (the temperature at which the CPU will start to throttle). Have you tried raising the CPU fan speed, or cleaning the cooler/entire PC?

How do I increase the fan speed and the cooler came in a couple of weeks ago. Im reset the CMOS and hope that it fixes it

25 minutes ago, ScarrFxce said:

How do I increase the fan speed and the cooler came in a couple of weeks ago. Im reset the CMOS and hope that it fixes it

There were a couple programs that would allow you to mess with fan speeds, but I can't remember the name of any off the top of my head. Alternatively, you should probably be able to change this in the BIOS. 

Either way, I think the general airflow in your PC might not be too adequate, as it seems your RAM and storage drives are getting pretty warm, so you could also maybe try to get some fans to install in your case, or try moving them around to see if you can get better results, if you've got some installed. You should be aiming for slightly positive air pressure. Intakes at the front and exhausts at the back/top is a safe bet for fan placements generally.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC