Cannot boot laptop with new RAM

Kimba

Hi guys,

I recently bought a pair of used 8GB ram sticks for my laptop and I cannot get it to boot once installing it. Is working once I put the old memory back in. At this point I think there are two options, its the incorrect memory for my laptop or it doesn't work. Perhaps its the wrong voltage. I know the speed is rated at 2666Mhz for the new stuff and the laptop only supports 2400 but on the dell website linked below it states "NOTE: The 2666 MHz memory works at 2400 MHz for the 8 th generation Intel Core processors." which this laptop has.

I will include everything I have been able to find so far below:

Laptop Model: Dell Inspiron 7580 Link

Original memory picture: Link

New memory picture: Link

New memory product page: Link (its not the exact memory but its all I could find on their website)

Dell page about supported memory: Link

Please let me know if there is anything else I should include to help and thank you all in advance. 

Mobo: ASUS Z170-AR CPU: Intel i7-6700k Ram: 16GB HyperX Fury 2666MHz GPU: MSI 780Ti PSU: EVGA G2 750W Case: NZXT Phantom 820

2 minutes ago, Kimba659 said:

Your new ram will automatically downclock itself to what the motherboard tells it to run at.

For whatever reason your new RAM is probably just bad then, try exchanging it or returning it and going with a different model.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

5 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

Your new ram will automatically downclock itself to what the motherboard tells it to run at.

For whatever reason your new RAM is probably just bad then, try exchanging it or returning it and going with a different model.

Unfortunately I bought it second hand from Facebook Marketplace so I assume the guy is going to ghost me if I message him about it. Just wanted to make sure I had explored every avenue before I did that.

Mobo: ASUS Z170-AR CPU: Intel i7-6700k Ram: 16GB HyperX Fury 2666MHz GPU: MSI 780Ti PSU: EVGA G2 750W Case: NZXT Phantom 820

Have you tried each stick individually in each slot?

If you're interested in a product please download and read the manual first.

Don't forget to tag or quote in your reply if you want me to know you've answered or have another question.

5 minutes ago, keskparane said:

Have you tried each stick individually in each slot?

Yep. Ive tried each stick in each DIMM slot individually. After putting the old memory back in I get a warning screen saying "No memory detected on last boot". Ive also tried having each of the new sticks in at the same time as the old one and swapped around the slots and it refuses to boot once either of the new sticks are in the laptop in any combination.

Got the latest BIOS?

https://downloads.dell.com/FOLDER05684553M/1/Inspiron_7380_7580_1.8.0.exe

Although is a long shot because none of the BIOS updates mention memory fixes

If you're interested in a product please download and read the manual first.

Don't forget to tag or quote in your reply if you want me to know you've answered or have another question.

15 minutes ago, keskparane said:

Got the latest BIOS?

https://downloads.dell.com/FOLDER05684553M/1/Inspiron_7380_7580_1.8.0.exe

Although is a long shot because none of the BIOS updates mention memory fixes

Unfortunately I do. That would have been a nice easy fix.