Advice Required

mickleworth

Hi All,

Always watching LTT so thought this would be the best place to get some advice on my next build.

Essentially, I feel like my current PC is showing it's age, parts vary in age from 2012 to less than a year old:

8Pack Approved - Intel Core i5 6400 @ 4.4GHz Overclocked Quad Core Gaming Bundle
- Asus Z170-E Intel Z170
- Intel Core i5-6400 2.70GHz
- Kingston Fury Black 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 PC4-21300C15 2666MHz
- Alpenföhn Brocken 2 CPU Cooler

Along side that, i have:

PNY GeForce RTX 2060 6GB XLR8 GPU.

Western Digital WD Blue 3D NAND M.2 SATA, 500 GB

Corsair 850W PSU (not modular, RM line i think, its like 7 years old).

I won't be changing my monitors:

Dell S2716DG - 27 Inch, 1 ms, 1440p at 144 Hz, Nvidia G-Sync.
Acer KG271   - 27 Inch, 1 ms, 1080p at 60 Hz.

My plan is to go AIO on the CPU and GPU, unless there is a compelling argument not to.

I think i am looking at a 9700/9900k or 3700/3800/3900X.

RTX 2080 TI, probably the Gigabyte Waterforce one.

32GB of speed appropriate ram to the CPU selection.

1TB M.2, probably a Samsung 970?

I'm open to suggestions on cases, i like the squarer cube style with hidden cables, like the Corsair 680X.

PSU will be fully modular, i hate cables.

I'm largely indifferent to RGB, i can take it or leave it and would probably end up fixing it to a specific colour (just as i have on my razer blackwidow keyboard).

I live in the UK, and have 3k roughly to spend, my use case is purely gaming, i usually end up going back to the old staples - WoW, GTA5, Overwatch, PUBG, i know i don't need an upgrade to play these, some of the new/upcoming titles look amazing and i'd like to experience them at a higher setting than what i can currently achieve 144FPS at (the new COD, Gears, Cyberpunk, to name a few).

Looking for feedback / suggestions on what my plans are thus far really, and cases ... i feel like £220 quid for the 680 is a bit of a rip...

Cheers, all and thanks in advance!

lots of the higher end air coolers are actually better and quieter than AIOs. if you are only gaming theres no way you are going to use 32GB of ram right now and when we do we will probably have like ddr7 or something and your system will be way outdated so i would suggest getting 16GB for now

Do you like the look of the more boxy style of the Lain Li 011 Dynamic? Or the XL which is coming out soon? If I were to do it all over again, I would go with the O11 Dynamic for my case instead of the Meshify C I have no.

My First (Current) Build:

Ryzen 7 2700 (3.90 1.35v OC) | Asus Prime X470 Pro | G.Skill Ripjaws V 16gb 3200 | Inland Professional 512gb M.2 NVME | Samsung 860 Evo Sata M.2 1TB | Corsair H115i Platinum | Corsair ML 140 RGB Fans | Fractal Design Meshify C | EVGA RTX 2070 XC Ultra

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 13t Gem Cut (i7 8565u, 240gb, 8gb mem)

My Ride:

2015 VW Golf TDI Sportwagen

Eventually an XJ manual...

yeah the LianLi Dynamic is one of my options, seems to be good value - but it seems like its massive and might look sparse without loads of custom looped water cooling?

I’ve seen some air cooled ones that have been done with multiple RGB fans on the bottom and side in the normal sized 011 Dynamic that looked alright. Mostly Corsair LL120 fans from what I can tell. 

I just wish the normal size supported a 280mm rad somewhere and 140mm fans . I’d have already switched if they did lol. The xl is a bit big for anything that isn’t custom cooled in my opinion. 

My First (Current) Build:

Ryzen 7 2700 (3.90 1.35v OC) | Asus Prime X470 Pro | G.Skill Ripjaws V 16gb 3200 | Inland Professional 512gb M.2 NVME | Samsung 860 Evo Sata M.2 1TB | Corsair H115i Platinum | Corsair ML 140 RGB Fans | Fractal Design Meshify C | EVGA RTX 2070 XC Ultra

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 13t Gem Cut (i7 8565u, 240gb, 8gb mem)

My Ride:

2015 VW Golf TDI Sportwagen

Eventually an XJ manual...

ive used noctua before suppose their coolers can fill the space pretty easily, and a 2080ti is massive anyway.

perhaps the lianli is the best choice...