Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Zain Mumtaz

Can I Install windows on a nvme m.2??

Posted · Original PosterOP

So Basically I’m building my own gaming pc this month and I wanted to know if you can install windows or make the nvme m.2 into a boot drive for windows. As nvme drives are stupid fast I wanted to install my operating system so it can perform much better and boot up much quicker 

pls include steps as I’m not that big of a computer expert 

Yes. Assuming your mobo supports it. Which all recent boards do.

There are no special requirements or instructions compared to any other sata drive.

Ok. Yes you can install windows on any drive type that has a capacity bigger then 16GB.

Generally the best way to install Windows 10 is off a USB drive either from Microsoft or one you make with the Media Creation Tool that MS provide - https://www.microsoft.com/en-au/software-download/windows10

When you go to install, before you power the system on make sure that the drive you want to install on is the only one plugged in. The drive and your bios should fill in the gaps and open Windows 10 Installation. Then it's just a matter of following the prompts.

2 hours ago, Zain Mumtaz said:

So Basically I’m building my own gaming pc this month and I wanted to know if you can install windows or make the nvme m.2 into a boot drive for windows. As nvme drives are stupid fast I wanted to install my operating system so it can perform much better and boot up much quicker 

pls include steps as I’m not that big of a computer expert 

As long as your motherboard supports it definitely. It will be loading faster then you think

2 hours ago, Professor G - Games - Tech said:

However remember, you still need to buy a W10 license key. 

No, you don't have to.  You can go unactivated.

Also, NVMe doesn't boot faster than SATA.  So be careful when buying your SSD.

Emma : i7 8700K @5.0Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200Mhz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB M.2 (RAID 0) - EVGA Supernova 650 P2 - Fractal Design Define R6 - AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz - Mackie CR5BT - Logitech G910, G502, G933 - Cooler Master Universal Graphics Card Holder

Plex : Ryzen 5 1600 (stock) - Gigabyte B450M-DS3H - G. Skill Ripjaws V 8GB 2400Mhz - GeForce 8800GTS 640MB - 840 EVO 256GB + Toshiba P300 3TB - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi - Cooler Master MasterWatt Lite 500 - Antec Nine Hundred - Dell 19" 4:3

Lenovo 720S Touch 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1050Ti, 4K touchscreen

MSI GF62 - i7 7700HQ, 16GB 2400 MHz RAM, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 1050Ti