Fixing Shorted Xbox 360 fan header

IsaacG

While working on my phat xbox 360, I accidental shorted the fan header. I heard a pop, then I immediately turned it off. I tested it again a little while later with the fan plugged into the 3 pin header, and it didn't move at all. There is not physical damage on the underside of the header, and no apparent damage on top either. I don't need to have the header for the fan, I can always remove it and solder the fans to the contacts. Do you think the header is fried or something more important?

4 minutes ago, IsaacG said:

While working on my phat xbox 360, I accidental shorted the fan header. I heard a pop, then I immediately turned it off. I tested it again a little while later with the fan plugged into the 3 pin header, and it didn't move at all. There is not physical damage on the underside of the header, and no apparent damage on top either. I don't need to have the header for the fan, I can always remove it and solder the fans to the contacts. Do you think the header is fried or something more important?

But does the xbox work?

Screwdriver specs: Long, pointy. Turns things. Some kind of metal.

Main rig: 

i9-7900x | Asus X299-Prime | 4x8GB G-Skill TridentZ @3300MHz | Samsung 970 Evo 500GB | Intel 5400S 1TB | Corsair HX1200

unRAID server:

Xeon  E5-1630v4 |  Asus X99-E WS | 4x8GB G-Skill DDR4 @2400MHz | Samsung 960 EVO 250GB cache drive | 12TB spinning rust | Corsair RM750X

FreeNAS server:

AMD something-or-other | Asus prebuilt sadness | 8GB DDR3-1600 | 9TB magnetic storage | Potential fire threat

HTPC:

i7-4790 | GTX1650 | Dell Sadness | 12GB DDR3-1600 | Samsung 860 250GB | 1TB magnetic storage | James Loudspeaker SPL3 x2 | Corsair SF450

Something must have gone up in smoke, look for small black components with a hole in the top.

Which board revision? My two consoles are Jasper and Trinity.

If you're unable to find any, you may need to wire the fans to a voltage rail inside but they'll run at a set speed.

I was able to boot the xbox, but it is on my workbench right now, so I will try to see if it posts tomorrow morning. My xbox is falcon, so it doesn't have the extra fan header like the xenons, but according to an archived post i found there might still be a way to wire it up without the header. I would still like to save that header if I can though, because the directions are really vague, and don't have any pictures.

I just tried booting it now and was able to get to the loading animation, then a warning popped up about ventilation and I turned it back off. there were no error messages or lights going off except for the middle one, but that was because I didn't have the dvd drive plugged in. The console itself seems fine. I looked under the fan header, and there was this little hole. I got rid of my other 360, and I couldn't find any pictures of it specifically online, so I don't know if it was there before. My Xbox also has the contacts in the second picture so I was wondering If I might be able to wire up the stock fan, and an stock cpu cooler to them in parallel.

IMG-3758.JPG

Xbox Motherboard 2.jpg

20 hours ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

Something must have gone up in smoke, look for small black components with a hole in the top.

Which board revision? My two consoles are Jasper and Trinity.

If you're unable to find any, you may need to wire the fans to a voltage rail inside but they'll run at a set speed.

Would there be any negative consequences if I wire fans up to the dvd drive power cable (I play pretty much offline only.)

25 minutes ago, IsaacG said:

Would there be any negative consequences if I wire fans up to the dvd drive power cable (I play pretty much offline only.)

Just noise

The console would probably last longer since it'll be well cooled

56 minutes ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

Just noise

The console would probably last longer since it'll be well cooled

If I am unable to repair the header, would I be able to run the stock fan and an intel cpu fan all off that disk drive power cable at 12v? I know this is a little repetitive, but I don't have a hard drive and play all my games via the disk drive and a usb stick, so I need to make sure I don't fry the thing or I have to buy a new xbox.

On 9/8/2019 at 8:55 PM, IsaacG said:

If I am unable to repair the header, would I be able to run the stock fan and an intel cpu fan all off that disk drive power cable at 12v? I know this is a little repetitive, but I don't have a hard drive and play all my games via the disk drive and a usb stick, so I need to make sure I don't fry the thing or I have to buy a new xbox.

Yeah, just source 12V off the disk drive header, it'll be able to power the fans you want to power

I would suggest trying to get the original fans working though, and get the ductwork in place to move air through the heatsinks horizontally. 

I believe the middle pin is ground and the two outer pins are the fan positives, but don't quote me on that

32 minutes ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

Yeah, just source 12V off the disk drive header, it'll be able to power the fans you want to power

I would suggest trying to get the original fans working though, and get the ductwork in place to move air through the heatsinks horizontally. 

I believe the middle pin is ground and the two outer pins are the fan positives, but don't quote me on that

I found the pinouts online and I am able to run all the fans off of the dvd drive as of right now. I haven't had a chance to try running a dvd in there, but I will update it when I do. I will also post a picture when I finish.

On 9/9/2019 at 9:39 PM, iamdarkyoshi said:

Just finished. I need to do some more extensive testing to make sure the fan I added doesn't clip anything inside the case during long periods, but I managed to keep the original aesthetic.

20190913_211131.jpg