How to install the latest BIOS with an unsupported APU (Kaveri Tutorial)

solosdk

Hi there

I, along with many others, have been subject to a lot of frustration due to the new Kaveri motherboards not supporting the Kaveri APU out of the box

This guide may apply to other CPU's or different situation with another chipset

This worked for me for this motherboard and APU:

Asus A88XM-A with a A10-7850k

In theory this should work for ALL Kaveri APU's with ALL Asus motherboards. I cannot comment on other motherboard manufacturers.

Requirements

- Any graphics card. It can be ANYTHING as long as it works and you can connect it to your monitor

- Motherboard that can be updated within the BIOS. In my case it is called Asus EZ Flash 2

- USB Flash drive

- Latest BIOS downloaded on another computer

Method

1. Make sure the APU is correctly installed along with all other components.

2. Instead of directly connecting your monitor to the motherboard's connectors (HDMI, VGA or DVI), connect it to your graphics card instead

Most people connect the monitor to the motherboard. This won't work because the screen will be blank and will not pass POST. The workaround is to obtain the display from a separate graphics processor, ie. a graphics card.

3. Download the latest BIOS on another computer and place this .CAP file on the USB drive. Make sure the usb drive formatted to FAT32

4. Insert the USB into the computer

5. Power up your PC. It should work and will allow you to access the BIOS. In my case it was F2. You will now have access to the UEFI BIOS. Go to the motherboard's built-in BIOS update tool and flash the BIOS with the latest one that is located on the USB stick.

6. After it is completed, you may now remove the graphics card and you can now use your new Kaveri APU's graphics natively.

Enjoy!

Nice! Was about to post about this until I saw this. Was browsing newegg and considering getting the 7700k, but saw all the bad reviews on the motherboards about kaveri not working out of the box. Kind of ridiculous that all the FM2+ boards so far don't have updated BIOS's for the new kaveri chipset.

Has anyone had success with this? Please reply so I can update my thread. Thanks

• 3 years later...

Omg omg!! It works!! It realy have sense because you don't have signal to monitor from motherboard port but from external video card it send you directly to the bios. Is said " Welcome, your new bios is instaled and compatible but needs update, please folow the F2 button for update, Have a good day my friend"

:D 

The last part was joke but the true is that works!!

Thank you Solosdk!