I need help deciding between these NAS devices

Go to solution Solved by SkyHound0202,

DS218+ is a cheaper dual-bay NAS with an Intel Celeron J3355 CPU, while DS418 is a slightly more expensive quad-bay NAS with a Realtek ARM based RTD1296 CPU.

A quad-bay NAS offers more flexibility for hard drive selection, however its ARM based processor and soldered onboard RAM means there's no hardware upgrade, virtualization support and may become a bottleneck when running multiple add-on packages.

The dual-bay NAS has more functionality thanks to the (relatively) power X86 CPU, but its limited by its only two bays, meaning you have to run it with a very basic dual-drive RAID setup, thus nullifying its performance advantage for VM and add-on.

Ideally (if budget allows), you should go for things like a DS418play. But if you have to choose between the two you've mentioned, I would go for the DS418 since it will better function as a storage device with few add-on installed.

25 minutes ago, TicTacFloof said:

Also, is 2GB of RAM enough for a 10TB RAID array ?

Yes if you only use it as a storage device. And if you do need to add more, DDR3 price has dropped dramatically. Not all Synology NAS are upgradable anyway.

Hi there, i am thinking of buying a synology NAS for my home network. I am unable to decide whether to buy the DS418 or DS218+.

The main uses that i will use this for are:

• Backup from other PC's on the network,
  • Stream 4k or 1080p videos on multiple device,
  • Acting as cloud storage for me and my friends for school.

DS218+ is a cheaper dual-bay NAS with an Intel Celeron J3355 CPU, while DS418 is a slightly more expensive quad-bay NAS with a Realtek ARM based RTD1296 CPU.

A quad-bay NAS offers more flexibility for hard drive selection, however its ARM based processor and soldered onboard RAM means there's no hardware upgrade, virtualization support and may become a bottleneck when running multiple add-on packages.

The dual-bay NAS has more functionality thanks to the (relatively) power X86 CPU, but its limited by its only two bays, meaning you have to run it with a very basic dual-drive RAID setup, thus nullifying its performance advantage for VM and add-on.

Ideally (if budget allows), you should go for things like a DS418play. But if you have to choose between the two you've mentioned, I would go for the DS418 since it will better function as a storage device with few add-on installed.

25 minutes ago, TicTacFloof said:

Yes if you only use it as a storage device. And if you do need to add more, DDR3 price has dropped dramatically. Not all Synology NAS are upgradable anyway.

"Mankind’s greatest mistake will be its inability to control the technology it has created."

Thanks for the reply, i will look into the DS418Play as it is not as expensive as the DS418 on the website i am looking at.