Recommendations for power line adapter?

FlexOffender
Go to solution Solved by MollyXD,

powerline aint a very good option as they degrade speed and signal alot as they aint made for internet transfer., you could make a shorter run of ethernet to another access point for better coverage but otherwise, unless you make a run through your walls or something there not much better you can do unless you want to try a different router than your current one 

I cant run a Ethernet cable through my home because my puppy might chew on it so i'm stuck looking for another option. 

Should I stick with wireless or go with powerline, and if powerline do you have any recommendations for one?

powerline aint a very good option as they degrade speed and signal alot as they aint made for internet transfer., you could make a shorter run of ethernet to another access point for better coverage but otherwise, unless you make a run through your walls or something there not much better you can do unless you want to try a different router than your current one 

Thanks buddy, any recommendations for some good routers?

Hi,

As MollyXD said, running an actual ethernet cable is by far the best option for signal integrity. However, I have opted for a powerline adapter with WiFi extension since I have a very thick loadbearing wall which basically blocks the wireless in half my apartment, even 2.4 GHz is wonky. As I don't want cables everywhere, and I don't want to start making new routing insite the walls for the ethernet cable, a powerline adapter seemed like a good choice. If you have the option, routing channels for ethernet cables in the walls to different rooms is the best, but be aware that it's not permitted to run other types of cables inside the tubes for the power lines (at least here in Sweden, I'm just guessing that this is the norm everywhere).

What I did was to make sure to identify which wall outlets were on the same circuit breaker, and connect two of those. This will help dramatically with signal integrity on the powerline adapter signal. Of course, you want your cabling (in the walls, etc.) to be as neat as possible, and cabling with a lot of branches will make worse signal conductors. I got a Devolo DLAN 1200+ wifi ac kit, and I get 300-350 Mbit/s between the units both ways (as measured by the Devolo software), which I consider quite OK, although quite a bit lower than the advertised 1200 Mbit/s. This is because of my cables branching out to several outlets, not an ideal environment but also not terrible. The Devolo software is not the greatest, but it's kind of a "set-and-forget" kind of thing. I have significantly better wifi in my bedroom now as well, I don't remember the actual down/up speeds, though.

There is a newer Devolo system called Magic 2 wifi, which as far as I can tell also works well. TP-Link have some kits that also look quite good, and I have had a pretty good time with other TP-Link stuff, so they might be worth a look.

I would personally wait with getting a new router, as wifi 6 (802.11ax) is just coming out and will provide numerous benefits, but is expensive at the moment. Should drop in price quickly once more manufacturers start rolling out units. If you, like I do, have thick walls or other obstacles, I also think there is only so much a new router can do, unless you have a very weak one right now. 

Hope there was something useful for you here

//Jonas