VPN server using raspberry pi and USB modem

Alright so i need something thats probably a little bit creative.

In order to do some work at a customer i need to connects to a device that has a rj45 port.

i need to connect to it via my mobile network as if i'm connected locally to it.

So what i want do do is create a vpn server on a raspberry pi in combination with a Huawei usb modem with a sim card.

The device i need a local connection to will connect to the raspberry with a cat5e cable and my phone will connect to the VPN server that is running on the pi.

I think i need to install pfsense on the raspberry to make it possible for the usb modem to talk with the rj45 port on the raspberry.

Anybody here that has ever tried this before or who is willing to help? its pretty time sensitive (need it in a few days and i have only a few hours to make it work beforehand)

Grtz Rob

52 minutes ago, robvangils said:

I think i need to install pfsense on the raspberry

pfSense doesn't run on Raspberry. pfSense is only for x86/x64 -- Raspberry is an ARM-device. Could always use OpenWRT, though: https://openwrt.org/toh/raspberry_pi_foundation/raspberry_pi

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

You shouldn't need a router OS for it to work, a simple Raspbian or whatever Linux distro install should be enough.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

1 hour ago, 2FA said:

You shouldn't need a router OS for it to work, a simple Raspbian or whatever Linux distro install should be enough.

Using a GUI to setup routing and OpenVPN and stuff would be easier for a less-experienced user, which is why I recommended OpenWRT.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.