Making My PC smaller

sacamoises
Go to solution Solved by sacamoises,
30 minutes ago, KhakiHat said:

The original 1151 series motherboards are kinda fading out now that the 1151 300 series are out and mainstream but for a decent new micro atx motherboard (1151 non 300 series) you can expect to pay anywhere from $55 to $150, the lower budget items usually giving less features available.

After finding a motherboard, then I would go for a case. Thereafter, finding a new cooler if necessary. If the budget needs to be strictly followed, re-work the case you chose or motherboard to make it work out.

Also be aware that some micro atx cases require a certain size for power supply, though most are generally usable, sometimes there are a handful that require SFF PSU's.

@KhakiHat That was exactly my thought. Although I think I could get everything refurbished or used. I feel like I should try to get the mobo new in case it fails and takes some other component down with it...

I'll probably just try to keep my current PSU too I think it should last me even after a gpu upgrade

In my rig I got:

6700 (non k)  

Coolermaster 212

500 W evga power supply

2 ssd's

G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB)

ASUS Z170-E LGA 1151

Case DIYPC Silence-BK-Window Black 

ASUS GeForce GTX 960 Overclocked 4GB DDR5 DisplayPort HDMI 2.0 DVI-I Graphic Card TURBO-GTX960-OC-4GD5

I got $150 max but would like to spend less to get it as small as reasonable. in the future I would like to put a better GPU in. I use it for 1080p casual gaming. I'm thinking about buying a micro atx mobo and a smaller case (in which case I'll probably also need a smaller cooler). 

any ideas?

The original 1151 series motherboards are kinda fading out now that the 1151 300 series are out and mainstream but for a decent new micro atx motherboard (1151 non 300 series) you can expect to pay anywhere from $55 to $150, the lower budget items usually giving less features available.

After finding a motherboard, then I would go for a case. Thereafter, finding a new cooler if necessary. If the budget needs to be strictly followed, re-work the case you chose or motherboard to make it work out.

Also be aware that some micro atx cases require a certain size for power supply, though most are generally usable, sometimes there are a handful that require SFF PSU's.

It might be a little pricey but have you thought about a Corsair Crystal 280x? Might be a bit pricey but it's an M-ATX-sized case with a second chamber for all those nasty cables and stuff. Could help with airflow in a smaller form factor.

9 minutes ago, wafflehaus said:

It might be a little pricey but have you thought about a Corsair Crystal 280x? Might be a bit pricey but it's an M-ATX-sized case with a second chamber for all those nasty cables and stuff. Could help with airflow in a smaller form factor.

@wafflehaus I loved that case (and corsair cases in general <3) but I'm looking a little less on looks and more in getting the job done :(

I was thinking more something like the Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L mATX Tower

30 minutes ago, KhakiHat said:

@KhakiHat That was exactly my thought. Although I think I could get everything refurbished or used. I feel like I should try to get the mobo new in case it fails and takes some other component down with it...

I'll probably just try to keep my current PSU too I think it should last me even after a gpu upgrade