Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LauriHimself

[SNOWFLAKE] angled GPU mount + AIO sleeving added

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

 

for the update please check towards the end of the thread

 

GPU Bracket pics on page 2

 

 

hello dear community ?

 

so, in the upcoming weeks i will do the first build for myself.

my goal was to build a capable gaming machine from mostley used parts from local ads on sites like eBay and such to save some money.

only the cpu, ram and ssd i got new, however i was able to save about 700€ compared to new pricing i ended up spending about 1100€

(pricing for new parts are pretty high where i live)

 

onto the parts:

 

Case: Corsair 500D (spraypainted the inside white)

Motherboard: Asus Prime X470 Pro

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600

AIO: Corsair H110i GTX (bought from a second hand site, but factory-sealed)

Ram: Corsair vengence RB Pro (2x8 @3200)

SSD: Crucial P1 500Gb NVMe

PSU: Corsair HX850i

GPU: MSI Rtx 2070 Armor (was aiming for a 2060, but got this card for only 360€ compaited to 550€ new)

 

Build over at PcPartPicker: https://de.pcpartpicker.com/b/t96scf

 

adittional i got some Corsair ML 120 and ML 140 pro led white fans and white sleeved cable extentions.

 

i will most likely throw in one of my spare HDDs for massstorage.

 

the idea was to have a case thats pure plack on the outside, but black and white on the inside with only white light.

 

more pictures will follow as the build progresses.

 

have a nice weekend

2019-07-13-11-46-08.jpg

2019-07-13-11-45-41.jpg


My Rig / Buildlog:  ❄️ SNOWFLAKE ❄️

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600   Cooler: Corsair H110i GTX   RAM: Corsair Vengence RGB Pro 16GB @3200   Mobo: Asus Prime X470 Pro   Graphics Card: MSI RTX 2070 Armor    Case: Corsair 500D   PSU: Corsair HX850i

Storage: 500GB Crucial P1 NVMe SSD, 4TB of spinning rust (2TB WD-Blue, 2TB Seagate Baracuda)     Displays: Acer XB280HK 28.0" 3840x2160 60 Hz, Medion MD20850 24" 2560x1440, LG E2340 24" 1080x1920

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Paint turned out pretty nice, hopefully that X470 board has the BIOS update required for the 3000 chips


I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally)...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

 

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

 

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
2 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

hopefully that X470 board has the BIOS update required for the 3000 chips

i took it to the shop i ordered cpu ram and ssd from, and as i am ordering stuff from them they take care of the bios for free

 

4 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

Paint turned out pretty nice

thank you ?

 


My Rig / Buildlog:  ❄️ SNOWFLAKE ❄️

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600   Cooler: Corsair H110i GTX   RAM: Corsair Vengence RGB Pro 16GB @3200   Mobo: Asus Prime X470 Pro   Graphics Card: MSI RTX 2070 Armor    Case: Corsair 500D   PSU: Corsair HX850i

Storage: 500GB Crucial P1 NVMe SSD, 4TB of spinning rust (2TB WD-Blue, 2TB Seagate Baracuda)     Displays: Acer XB280HK 28.0" 3840x2160 60 Hz, Medion MD20850 24" 2560x1440, LG E2340 24" 1080x1920

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow, that is a clean paintjob! Would not have even known you did it yourself, looks perfect. :)

 

What type of paint did you use to do the inside? Did you use any primer and/or overcoat along with it? My case interior is also black and you've got me curious as to your method of doing it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
8 hours ago, seoz said:

Wow, that is a clean paintjob! Would not have even known you did it yourself, looks perfect. :)

? Thank you so much ?

 

8 hours ago, seoz said:

What type of paint did you use to do the inside? Did you use any primer and/or overcoat along with it? 

I actually used a mat-white spraypiant can from a locan store probably similar to home depot ? no primer or overcoat. I just made sure everything is taped tight and I got rid of all possible grease with a cleaning spray we had lying around in the company I work at. As the surface of the case interior is already pretty rough I figured a primer won't be necessary. 

I chose mat paint because I think it maskes some uneven bits of the metal better than glossy paint. 


My Rig / Buildlog:  ❄️ SNOWFLAKE ❄️

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600   Cooler: Corsair H110i GTX   RAM: Corsair Vengence RGB Pro 16GB @3200   Mobo: Asus Prime X470 Pro   Graphics Card: MSI RTX 2070 Armor    Case: Corsair 500D   PSU: Corsair HX850i

Storage: 500GB Crucial P1 NVMe SSD, 4TB of spinning rust (2TB WD-Blue, 2TB Seagate Baracuda)     Displays: Acer XB280HK 28.0" 3840x2160 60 Hz, Medion MD20850 24" 2560x1440, LG E2340 24" 1080x1920

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, LauriHimself said:

I actually used a mat-white spraypiant can from a locan store probably similar to home depot ? no primer or overcoat. I just made sure everything is taped tight and I got rid of all possible grease with a cleaning spray we had lying around in the company I work at. As the surface of the case interior is already pretty rough I figured a primer won't be necessary. 

I chose mat paint because I think it maskes some uneven bits of the metal better than glossy paint. 

Awesome! Did you use heat-resistant spraypaint? I imagine you wouldn't want the paint melting off after a couple of hours, right? :P Matte paint is the only acceptable option, glossy looks nasty and cheap (most of the time ;)).

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
2 hours ago, seoz said:

Did you use heat-resistant spraypaint?

yes ^^ that i did. not something super heat resistant like you would use for some car parts, but till about 120°C it should be golden ?

 

i am building a custom shroud for my 280 rad atm because i really don't like the look of that massive push pull config.

 

the picture shows the first try.

i am going to build MK2 tomorrow.

there will be some minor adjustments in size and the pisition of some holes, i will get rid of the cutout that shows the side of the radiator, and i will paint the, in this picture white, Corsair "thingie" on the side of the rad black, and attatch it directly to the side of the shroud that then will be painted white.

also the material will be different. for MK1 i just grabbed a sheet of metal i had lyin around that already was pretty roughed up.

 

oh, and sorry if i frequently make some mistakes as i am not a native speaker =P

2019-07-14-22-40-37.jpg


My Rig / Buildlog:  ❄️ SNOWFLAKE ❄️

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600   Cooler: Corsair H110i GTX   RAM: Corsair Vengence RGB Pro 16GB @3200   Mobo: Asus Prime X470 Pro   Graphics Card: MSI RTX 2070 Armor    Case: Corsair 500D   PSU: Corsair HX850i

Storage: 500GB Crucial P1 NVMe SSD, 4TB of spinning rust (2TB WD-Blue, 2TB Seagate Baracuda)     Displays: Acer XB280HK 28.0" 3840x2160 60 Hz, Medion MD20850 24" 2560x1440, LG E2340 24" 1080x1920

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, LauriHimself said:

yes ^^ that i did. not something super heat resistant like you would use for some car parts, but till about 120°C it should be golden ?

Awesome! Loving your thorough research about the case mods. :)

 

3 minutes ago, LauriHimself said:

i am building a custom shroud for my 280 rad atm because i really don't like the look of that massive push pull config.

That is some excellent craftmanship, DIY master. :P

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
On 7/14/2019 at 10:57 PM, seoz said:

That is some excellent craftmanship, DIY master.

XD

 

soooo.....

i've been busy today ^^

I built the MK2 radiator shroud, painted it and put it in the case. also i cut out a plate to cover the top of the psu shroud and two plates (one metal and one plexy) for the front. the latter two are not included in the pictures, as the resin i am gluing them together with is still hardening. sandblasted the plexy to get more out of the led. i'll see what its worth when mounting it tomorrow.

also i put some led strips i had lying around in the case and tested them. all in all i am getting somewhere =P

 

i wish you all a very nice night, evening, morning or whatever time it might be at your place ?

2019-07-15-22-30-10.jpg

2019-07-15-22-30-30.jpg

2019-07-15-22-30-55.jpg


My Rig / Buildlog:  ❄️ SNOWFLAKE ❄️

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600   Cooler: Corsair H110i GTX   RAM: Corsair Vengence RGB Pro 16GB @3200   Mobo: Asus Prime X470 Pro   Graphics Card: MSI RTX 2070 Armor    Case: Corsair 500D   PSU: Corsair HX850i

Storage: 500GB Crucial P1 NVMe SSD, 4TB of spinning rust (2TB WD-Blue, 2TB Seagate Baracuda)     Displays: Acer XB280HK 28.0" 3840x2160 60 Hz, Medion MD20850 24" 2560x1440, LG E2340 24" 1080x1920

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, LauriHimself said:

I built the MK2 radiator shroud, painted it and put it in the case. also i cut out a plate to cover the top of the psu shroud and two plates (one metal and one plexy) for the front. the latter two are not included in the pictures, as the resin i am gluing them together with is still hardening. sandblasted the plexy to get more out of the led. i'll see what its worth when mounting it tomorrow.

also i put some led strips i had lying around in the case and tested them. all in all i am getting somewhere =P

Amazing work as always! The extra plates look amazing and natural, would've never guessed you made those yourself. :P

Link to post
Share on other sites

Love it! How are you bending the steel for the rad? If you repaint the outside of the case, there are some engine enamels out there that are indestructible! I used some on a hand plane restore and it is unscratched after many woodworking projects. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
17 hours ago, Sanderguy777 said:

Love it! How are you bending the steel for the rad?

 

thank you very much ?

i wanted to have it bent by a professional... but i couldnt find one that had time to, sooo....

i took it to the vice, mounted it, heated it up, and gave it ye good old hammer treatment ^^ not kidding.

turned out pretty nice though

 

17 hours ago, Sanderguy777 said:

If you repaint the outside of the case, there are some engine enamels out there that are indestructible!

 

for the moment i am leaving the outside alone, but thanks for the info.

 

19 hours ago, seoz said:

Amazing work as always!

 

thank you =D 

 

 

 

i finished the work on the case interior today. now i just have to wait for last parts i ordered. hopefully i can show you all the completed build around the weekend.

 

the piece in front of the psu shroud is a sheet of metal fixed to a piece of plexy, with epoxy, that has been sandblasted on the front and the back.

 

if someone is curious; i do all my cutting, be it plexy, metal, or whatever, with a high pressure waterjet.

 

 

 

IMG_20190716_214209.jpg

IMG_20190716_213947.jpg

IMG_20190716_213921.jpg

IMG_20190716_214124.jpg

IMG_20190716_214025.jpg

IMG_20190716_214004.jpg

IMG_20190716_214100.jpg


My Rig / Buildlog:  ❄️ SNOWFLAKE ❄️

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600   Cooler: Corsair H110i GTX   RAM: Corsair Vengence RGB Pro 16GB @3200   Mobo: Asus Prime X470 Pro   Graphics Card: MSI RTX 2070 Armor    Case: Corsair 500D   PSU: Corsair HX850i

Storage: 500GB Crucial P1 NVMe SSD, 4TB of spinning rust (2TB WD-Blue, 2TB Seagate Baracuda)     Displays: Acer XB280HK 28.0" 3840x2160 60 Hz, Medion MD20850 24" 2560x1440, LG E2340 24" 1080x1920

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Since the inside is White and has led light I suggest finding an old cheap monitor so you can make a DIY snowblind mod to the case window

 

Be advised that any such attempt is of course at your own Risk and I am not liable in any way shape or form Should you choose to do so

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
13 hours ago, rpdk said:

DIY snowblind mod

Sorry if that might sound stupid ? but what is that? 

Edit: just looked it up... Holy crap ?

Maybe I will... Found a tutorial on reddit. 

Will look into it after work. 

 

 

@all

I'll post Pics of the finished system either tomorrow, or the day after. Had to wait for my 3600 longer than expected ?

 

 


My Rig / Buildlog:  ❄️ SNOWFLAKE ❄️

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600   Cooler: Corsair H110i GTX   RAM: Corsair Vengence RGB Pro 16GB @3200   Mobo: Asus Prime X470 Pro   Graphics Card: MSI RTX 2070 Armor    Case: Corsair 500D   PSU: Corsair HX850i

Storage: 500GB Crucial P1 NVMe SSD, 4TB of spinning rust (2TB WD-Blue, 2TB Seagate Baracuda)     Displays: Acer XB280HK 28.0" 3840x2160 60 Hz, Medion MD20850 24" 2560x1440, LG E2340 24" 1080x1920

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, LauriHimself said:

Sorry if that might sound stupid ? but what is that? 

Edit: just looked it up... Holy crap ?

Maybe I will... Found a tutorial on reddit. 

Will look into it after work. 

 

 

@all

I'll post Pics of the finished system either tomorrow, or the day after. Had to wait for my 3600 longer than expected ?

 

 

It is Also a Great way to have a status display Running

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP

AAAAAAAND it's done

 

finally i finished it.

 

cooling works better than i thought after the GamersNexus case review.

CPU sits at 34°C at idle (6-7°C above ambient) (~60-65 under synthetic load)

GPU at about 42°C at idle (so about 14°C above ambient with the fans off) (~65-70 under load)

 

but Steve was right that the cablemanagement is a pain in the A in this case.

 

hope you like what you see

have a nice evening

IMG_20190719_012156.jpg

IMG_20190720_205836_BURST001_COVER.jpg

IMG_20190723_205020.jpg

IMG_20190723_205028.jpg

IMG_20190723_205039.jpg

IMG_20190723_205056.jpg

IMG_20190723_212017.jpg


My Rig / Buildlog:  ❄️ SNOWFLAKE ❄️

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600   Cooler: Corsair H110i GTX   RAM: Corsair Vengence RGB Pro 16GB @3200   Mobo: Asus Prime X470 Pro   Graphics Card: MSI RTX 2070 Armor    Case: Corsair 500D   PSU: Corsair HX850i

Storage: 500GB Crucial P1 NVMe SSD, 4TB of spinning rust (2TB WD-Blue, 2TB Seagate Baracuda)     Displays: Acer XB280HK 28.0" 3840x2160 60 Hz, Medion MD20850 24" 2560x1440, LG E2340 24" 1080x1920

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, LauriHimself said:

AAAAAAAND it's done

 

finally i finished it.

That looks amazing! It's been so cool to see how you construct the additional shrouds for the PSU basement and the radiator. That is some great attention to detail and it's so cool that you committed to those.

The whole black & white aesthetic of the build is beautiful, the subtle RGB elements really make the whole interior shine, it's excellent work.

 

Amazing job on this one, it's a beautiful build. :)

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 minute ago, seoz said:

That looks amazing! It's been so cool to see how you construct the additional shrouds for the PSU basement and the radiator. That is some great attention to detail and it's so cool that you committed to those.

The whole black & white aesthetic of the build is beautiful, the subtle RGB elements really make the whole interior shine, it's excellent work.

 

Amazing job on this one, it's a beautiful build. :)

Thank you so much ?


My Rig / Buildlog:  ❄️ SNOWFLAKE ❄️

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600   Cooler: Corsair H110i GTX   RAM: Corsair Vengence RGB Pro 16GB @3200   Mobo: Asus Prime X470 Pro   Graphics Card: MSI RTX 2070 Armor    Case: Corsair 500D   PSU: Corsair HX850i

Storage: 500GB Crucial P1 NVMe SSD, 4TB of spinning rust (2TB WD-Blue, 2TB Seagate Baracuda)     Displays: Acer XB280HK 28.0" 3840x2160 60 Hz, Medion MD20850 24" 2560x1440, LG E2340 24" 1080x1920

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
44 minutes ago, Habonch said:

Looks fantastic! Saw this thread a week ago and glad i checked it again to see how it went! I'm insanely jealous, good job man.

Thank you very much ?

 


My Rig / Buildlog:  ❄️ SNOWFLAKE ❄️

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600   Cooler: Corsair H110i GTX   RAM: Corsair Vengence RGB Pro 16GB @3200   Mobo: Asus Prime X470 Pro   Graphics Card: MSI RTX 2070 Armor    Case: Corsair 500D   PSU: Corsair HX850i

Storage: 500GB Crucial P1 NVMe SSD, 4TB of spinning rust (2TB WD-Blue, 2TB Seagate Baracuda)     Displays: Acer XB280HK 28.0" 3840x2160 60 Hz, Medion MD20850 24" 2560x1440, LG E2340 24" 1080x1920

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP

[UPDATE]

 

Ladies and Gentlemen

it's time again ^^

 

i am going to do another little mod in my case

 

i will mount my GPU ANGLED, not vertically (90°) but leaning backward another 35° (so 125° if you will) similar to what you can do in a Cooler Master Cosmos C700M

for this i am going to manufacture an other "shroud" similar to the shroud for my radiator config in the front.

this one will be mainly mounted to the rear exhaust fan and standing on my custom PSU shroud

 

Backplate.thumb.JPG.f892ec10c9e8c0db2c654d0b4189f181.JPG

 

everywhere you can see little oval holes the plate will be bent 90°

the honey combs around the gpu mount are for ventilation, the ones on the left will eather be backlit white with some acrylic behind them, or just have a black piece behind them to give some contrast (i am very open for suggestions for what you people think will look better)

the little piece on the right will be bent backward for stability

 

the gpu itself will be mounted on a plate i harvested from a vertical mount and i'll be riveting to my backplate

i am planning on spraypainting parts of the front of the card white too, to fit my build

 

also i will recieve a white sleeving kit for my AIO the next couple days

 

as last time i will keep you updated along the way

 

i wish you all a nice evening/morning ^^

 

 


My Rig / Buildlog:  ❄️ SNOWFLAKE ❄️

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600   Cooler: Corsair H110i GTX   RAM: Corsair Vengence RGB Pro 16GB @3200   Mobo: Asus Prime X470 Pro   Graphics Card: MSI RTX 2070 Armor    Case: Corsair 500D   PSU: Corsair HX850i

Storage: 500GB Crucial P1 NVMe SSD, 4TB of spinning rust (2TB WD-Blue, 2TB Seagate Baracuda)     Displays: Acer XB280HK 28.0" 3840x2160 60 Hz, Medion MD20850 24" 2560x1440, LG E2340 24" 1080x1920

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/23/2019 at 12:55 PM, LauriHimself said:

AAAAAAAND it's done

 

finally i finished it.

 

cooling works better than i thought after the GamersNexus case review.

CPU sits at 34°C at idle (6-7°C above ambient) (~60-65 under synthetic load)

GPU at about 42°C at idle (so about 14°C above ambient with the fans off) (~65-70 under load)

 

but Steve was right that the cablemanagement is a pain in the A in this case.

 

hope you like what you see

have a nice evening

 

 

 

 

 

IMG_20190723_205056.jpg

 

 

Wow this is actually a really really nice super clean and well engineered PC my friend.  i like it when people like yourself have put some thought and design into a ne build. so many people just assemble parts, but you have gone extra effort and actually done proper build, modifying, fabricating, paint work all the what i call "proper custom PC building" skills.

love the contrast and how clean and effective this rig is.

 

my own (Mars PC) i also thought it out to the nearest mm in the design to make a custom system. nice when there is only one in the world like it. 

10/10 from me.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
2 minutes ago, Frayia said:

Wow this is actually a really really nice super clean and well engineered PC my friend.  i like it when people like yourself have put some thought and design into a ne build. so many people just assemble parts, but you have gone extra effort and actually done proper build, modifying, fabricating, paint work all the what i call "proper custom PC building" skills.

love the contrast and how clean and effective this rig is.

 

my own (Mars PC) i also thought it out to the nearest mm in the design to make a custom system. nice when there is only one in the world like it. 

10/10 from me.

thank you so much =D 

i hope i can get everything to work as good with the gpu mounting mod ^^ but we'll see

 

is there somewhere i can take a look at your system?


My Rig / Buildlog:  ❄️ SNOWFLAKE ❄️

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600   Cooler: Corsair H110i GTX   RAM: Corsair Vengence RGB Pro 16GB @3200   Mobo: Asus Prime X470 Pro   Graphics Card: MSI RTX 2070 Armor    Case: Corsair 500D   PSU: Corsair HX850i

Storage: 500GB Crucial P1 NVMe SSD, 4TB of spinning rust (2TB WD-Blue, 2TB Seagate Baracuda)     Displays: Acer XB280HK 28.0" 3840x2160 60 Hz, Medion MD20850 24" 2560x1440, LG E2340 24" 1080x1920

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, LauriHimself said:

thank you so much =D 

i hope i can get everything to work as good with the gpu mounting mod ^^ but we'll see

 

is there somewhere i can take a look at your system?

My 2019 Mars m-itx build log is in the forum under this section (build logs) 

as i said in the review, i have future upgrades in the pipeline for a Asus Strix RTX 2070 Super / 2080 Super or even a 2080ti.  also to fit the i9-9900 

my design is m-itx and at the moment with the i7-8700 and 1070ti its running super cool, quiet and compact.

not as glorified as your PC but its just the fact designing and building / modifying your own case and everything to me makes the difference of a PC builder, and a component assembler.

for sure you have engineer brain and skill of an F1 mechanic. 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 minute ago, Frayia said:

for sure you have engineer brain and skill of an F1 mechanic

XD not really ^^ 

 

1 minute ago, Frayia said:

My 2019 Mars m-itx build log is in the forum under this section (build logs) 

nice, ty for the link! going to have a look when i return from work


My Rig / Buildlog:  ❄️ SNOWFLAKE ❄️

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600   Cooler: Corsair H110i GTX   RAM: Corsair Vengence RGB Pro 16GB @3200   Mobo: Asus Prime X470 Pro   Graphics Card: MSI RTX 2070 Armor    Case: Corsair 500D   PSU: Corsair HX850i

Storage: 500GB Crucial P1 NVMe SSD, 4TB of spinning rust (2TB WD-Blue, 2TB Seagate Baracuda)     Displays: Acer XB280HK 28.0" 3840x2160 60 Hz, Medion MD20850 24" 2560x1440, LG E2340 24" 1080x1920

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×