Laptop THERMAL THROTTLING!

I recently noticed that my Asus Strix Scar Edition (GL703GM) is thermal throttling when playing games. Its running a i7 - 8750H with a GTX 1060. The CPU reaches around 96 °C in Cinebench R15 and my GPU reaches 76 °C in Unigine Superposition.  I'm on vacation in a pretty hot place (Ambient 27-32 °C). Anyone knows why this might be?  

image.png

image.png

1 hour ago, Cyguns said:

I recently noticed that my Asus Strix Scar Edition (GL703GM) is thermal throttling when playing games. Its running a i7 - 8750H with a GTX 1060. The CPU reaches around 96 °C in Cinebench R15 and my GPU reaches 76 °C in Unigine Superposition.  I'm on vacation in a pretty hot place (Ambient 27-32 °C). Anyone knows why this might be?  

image.png

image.png

Typical Laptop issues. You could try to get a laptop tray with fans to help cool it, or could prop it up for now. Should help a bit.

Processor: Intel i7 11700k MemoryCorsair Vengeance 4x4GB 3200MHZ Motherboard: Gigabyte Z590 AORUS Elite Graphics card: Gigabyte AORUS GTX 1080ti Xtreme Edition Storage: x2 120gb SSD, 1tb Samsung Evo, 2TB HDD Case: Corsair 400C Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Display's: AOC AG493UCX 49"  Ultra Wide 5120x1440 at 120hz, IPad Mini with Duet Display.

1 hour ago, LewisPark said:

Typical Laptop issues. You could try to get a laptop tray with fans to help cool it, or could prop it up for now. Should help a bit.

My max temperatures used to only be 75 °C in games but its now thermal throttling. My laptop has some pretty beefy coolers on it.

6 hours ago, Cyguns said:

My max temperatures used to only be 75 °C in games but its now thermal throttling. My laptop has some pretty beefy coolers on it.

ANY laptop these days will overheat because manufacturers despite the advancement in technology, still put cheap thermal paste that doesn't quiet cut it..

You'd wanna do a CPU/GPU Re-Paste that by itself will reduce temps anywhere between 10-15C.

I applied Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut (liquid metal) on my CPU and Phobya NanoGrease Extreme on my GPU and that made a HUGE difference.

Ik1SDBL.jpg

Alienware m16 R1 | AMD Ryzen 9 7945HX | SK Hynix 64 GB 5200 MHz DDR5 RAM | GeForce RTX 4090 16 GB GDDR6 | 16" QHD+ (2560 x 1600) 240Hz, 3ms 300-nits Screen | 2x Samsung 990 PRO 4TB SSDs + WD_BLACK SN770M 2TB SSD | Intel Wi-Fi 6E AX210 | Windows 11 Pro

On 6/26/2019 at 2:59 AM, Ultra Male said:

ANY laptop these days will overheat because manufacturers despite the advancement in technology, still put cheap thermal paste that doesn't quiet cut it..

You'd wanna do a CPU/GPU Re-Paste that by itself will reduce temps anywhere between 10-15C.

I applied Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut (liquid metal) on my CPU and Phobya NanoGrease Extreme on my GPU and that made a HUGE difference.

Ik1SDBL.jpg

I only got my laptop for half a year so I don't think its a thermal compound issue. Thanks for the information!

41 minutes ago, Cyguns said:

I only got my laptop for half a year so I don't think its a thermal compound issue. Thanks for the information!

Well I had my laptop for a month as well and why I repasted, temps dropped down by 15C, it's not about the time although yes, thermal paste performance does deteriorate in performance. The issue is the thermal paste done at the factory is usually a very crappy job using the cheapest kind of thermal paste. I bet you if you were to open the laptop up and remove the heatsink, you will find thermal paste on the edges of the CPU but NOT on the actual CPU.

Another thing you can do is undervolt the CPU using Intel Extreme Tuning Utility. A safe undervolt would b e -70mV that will reduce temps dramatically whilst still being stable.

I gave you my opinion from personal experience. Do what you want.

Alienware m16 R1 | AMD Ryzen 9 7945HX | SK Hynix 64 GB 5200 MHz DDR5 RAM | GeForce RTX 4090 16 GB GDDR6 | 16" QHD+ (2560 x 1600) 240Hz, 3ms 300-nits Screen | 2x Samsung 990 PRO 4TB SSDs + WD_BLACK SN770M 2TB SSD | Intel Wi-Fi 6E AX210 | Windows 11 Pro

37 minutes ago, Ultra Male said:

Well I had my laptop for a month as well and why I repasted, temps dropped down by 15C, it's not about the time although yes, thermal paste performance does deteriorate in performance. The issue is the thermal paste done at the factory is usually a very crappy job using the cheapest kind of thermal paste. I bet you if you were to open the laptop up and remove the heatsink, you will find thermal paste on the edges of the CPU but NOT on the actual CPU.

Another thing you can do is undervolt the CPU using Intel Extreme Tuning Utility. A safe undervolt would b e -70mV that will reduce temps dramatically whilst still being stable.

I gave you my opinion from personal experience. Do what you want.

Okay, thanks!