Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
HypeTrains

New GPU fan makes buzzing noise

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

I just this week got a 1660ti, and the first day I had it it ran smooth with no issues.  However the next morning the right fan started making a buzzing sound, like there was a piece of paper being put into the fan.  Is this bad? Should I RMA the card?  My temps don't exceed the mid 70s anyways.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Seeing that this can be a reoccurring problem throughout the graphics card enthusiast community you are most likely experiencing coil whine. I would recommend to RMA the card.


Project Chernobyl

CPU: Intel Xeon E5-2697 V3 @ 2.7 GHz

MoBo: Asus RAMPAGE V EXTREME

GPU: GTX 980Ti Hybrid 4 Way SLI

RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4-2400 Memory

Case: Corsair Graphite Series 780T Full-Tower Case

OS: Windows 10 Professional [64 Bit]

Link to post
Share on other sites

My card had that problem when I first got it.  It was striking either the LED cable or the fan cable.  If you can push a cable out of the way then that should solve it for you.  


AMD Ryzen 2700X  |  Fractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  | G.SKILL TridentZ 3636MHz 14-15-14-28 2x8GB  | EVGA 1070 Ti SC GAMING ACX 3.0 Black  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3  | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, nick name said:

My card had that problem when I first got it.  It was striking either the LED cable or the fan cable.  If you can push a cable out of the way then that should solve it for you.  

If you find this to be the cause of the problem use some E-tape to hold the cable because vibrations will probably have it come lose again,


Project Chernobyl

CPU: Intel Xeon E5-2697 V3 @ 2.7 GHz

MoBo: Asus RAMPAGE V EXTREME

GPU: GTX 980Ti Hybrid 4 Way SLI

RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4-2400 Memory

Case: Corsair Graphite Series 780T Full-Tower Case

OS: Windows 10 Professional [64 Bit]

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
22 hours ago, VinZie said:

Seeing that this can be a reoccurring problem throughout the graphics card enthusiast community you are most likely experiencing coil whine. I would recommend to RMA the card.

I just ran heaven for about 5 minutes and got the card to the mid to high 60s and as soon as it hit 70% on the fan speed then it started making the noise.  But it is definitely not coil whine, something is definitely rubbing.  I am going to RMA it later today I guess.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, HypeTrains said:

I just ran heaven for about 5 minutes and got the card to the mid to high 60s and as soon as it hit 70% on the fan speed then it started making the noise.  But it is definitely not coil whine, something is definitely rubbing.  I am going to RMA it later today I guess.

I recommend that option!


Project Chernobyl

CPU: Intel Xeon E5-2697 V3 @ 2.7 GHz

MoBo: Asus RAMPAGE V EXTREME

GPU: GTX 980Ti Hybrid 4 Way SLI

RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4-2400 Memory

Case: Corsair Graphite Series 780T Full-Tower Case

OS: Windows 10 Professional [64 Bit]

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×