Need help with old laptop drive cloning

star_pilot475
Go to solution Solved by SSD Sean,
32 minutes ago, star_pilot475 said:

@SSD Sean is there any way to transfer data through Cat5 data cable?

That’s easy peasy. Lol. Just connect both systems to the same switch or router. Set up a network share on your main PC. (Don’t forget to give permissions to “everyone.”)

Connect to the network share from your laptop and drag n drop or use free file sync and mirror the folders over that you want the data from. 

Need more details? Let me know. I can write specifics when I’m home. It’s really easy. 

Hey guys, so I have this old laptop. It’s running windows 7 and can not be updated past that because the graphics card is not compatible with Windows 8, or 10. So what I would like to know is, is there any way to clone the laptop's entire drive to my desktop without pulling the drive out and plugging it into my motherboard (the drive in the laptop is IDE so I can’t plug it into my motherboard and clone like that). If that isn't possible, would it be possible to just clone one user's account over to my pc? 

I got a ps5 and a pc pretty ballin

I really would like to learn what graphics card is that. Also you can use hirens boot cd (you can ISO to a cd or try to boot from usb) to clone that disk to an external storage.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

Why not just transfer any data over that you want via a network share or USB external? 

One thing you can do that is pretty cool is save the laptops OS a virtual machine and then you can move it over and run it on your desktop. Still need an external drive for that tho.

https://www.online-tech-tips.com/free-software-downloads/convert-pc-into-virtual-machine/

Tho, what are you trying to accomplish exactly? 

ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ
(ノಠ益ಠ)╯︵ /(.□ . \)

Just now, SSD Sean said:

Why not just transfer any data over that you want via a network share or USB external? 

One thing you can do that is pretty cool is save the laptops OS a virtual machine and then you can move it over and run it on your desktop. 

Tho, what are you trying to accomplish exactly? 

I don’t have an external drive big enough at the moment, but I need the files off of the laptop before I sell it. (Might get a whole $5 for it lol) 

3 minutes ago, Levent said:

I really would like to learn what graphics card is that

Lol you really wouldn’t... it’s a Nvidia GeForce GO 6200 TE 64M. ?

1 minute ago, star_pilot475 said:

I don’t have an external drive big enough at the moment, but I need the files off of the laptop before I sell it. (Might get a whole $5 for it lol) 

Lol you really wouldn’t... it’s a Nvidia GeForce GO 6200 TE 64M. ?

Usually W7 drivers work in W10, still though no promises as they were last updated by microsoft in 2010.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

Just now, Levent said:

Usually W7 drivers work in W10, still though no promises as they were last updated by microsoft in 2010.

Maybe, but I don’t think it's worth updating and risking it anyways. Plus, 2GB of DDR2 and a Pentium M at 1.73GHz with w10 may not be too enjoyable lol ? 

32 minutes ago, star_pilot475 said:

@SSD Sean is there any way to transfer data through Cat5 data cable?

That’s easy peasy. Lol. Just connect both systems to the same switch or router. Set up a network share on your main PC. (Don’t forget to give permissions to “everyone.”)

Connect to the network share from your laptop and drag n drop or use free file sync and mirror the folders over that you want the data from. 

Need more details? Let me know. I can write specifics when I’m home. It’s really easy. 

ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ
(ノಠ益ಠ)╯︵ /(.□ . \)