Remote Controled FX

AimShootFire

Hi,

I am currently attempting to do some research into remote controlled audio FX systems. The idea is for a four button remote to be kept inside of a vehicle (Firetruck as this is for a firestation) and when pressed, send a signal to a PC / Server to play an audio file. I am wondering if this can be done using some sort of bluetooth or IR dongle. When a button is pressed i would like it to speak through our PA: "Pumper BA Operator Required" or "Tanker Driver Required" depending on what button is pressed. Preferably i dont want to be putting together some soft of Rasberry Pi, rather some sort of out of the box kit with software. Mostlikely each truck (3) would have a remote (4 Buttons) sending a signal back and then the PC / Server would play the sound. Any links or suggestions is well welcomed.

Thanks,

Josh

Australia

I think your requirements are too specific for something that's plug and play, but a raspberry pi could work. It's just how much time and money you have. Also I'm wondering if it's a good idea to DIY a communication device for something as important as emergency services...

XBee is pretty easy to use, just look up that with an arduino, then make it access a sound file on an SD card :)

CPU: Intel 3570 GPUs: Nvidia GTX 660Ti Case: Fractal design Define R4  Storage: 1TB WD Caviar Black & 240GB Hyper X 3k SSD Sound: Custom One Pros Keyboard: Ducky Shine 4 Mouse: Logitech G500

10 minutes ago, Olaf6541 said:

I think your requirements are too specific for something that's plug and play, but a raspberry pi could work. It's just how much time and money you have. Also I'm wondering if it's a good idea to DIY a communication device for something as important as emergency services...

Trust me, its only going to be used to request more people and to tell them to hurry up. We currently have a problem where alot of people show up but don't get in their gear. The hopes are that the sound system will alart them as to what is still required in terms of maning the truck.

11 minutes ago, werto165 said:

XBee is pretty easy to use, just look up that with an arduino, then make it access a sound file on an SD card :)

Hi,

Thanks for the suggestion however as stated im not very good with stuff like that. The whole putting it together and then programming it scares me. Can you think of any Bluetooth (Or Simular) remote and software packages?

Thanks.

1 minute ago, AimShootFire said:

Trust me, its only going to be used to request more people and to tell them to hurry up. We currently have a problem where alot of people show up but don't get in their gear. The hopes are that the sound system will alart them as to what is still required in terms of maning the truck.

And what about a simple (and cheap) solution as using a bunch of walkie talkies, or even a whatsapp groupchat? Would that work?

Do you already have a speaker system that can be used? Otherwise just the pc with speakers could already be quite costly because you would have to mount them somewhere in the firestation, routing the wires, etc.

Just now, Olaf6541 said:

And what about a simple (and cheap) solution as using a bunch of walkie talkies, or even a whatsapp groupchat? Would that work?

Do you already have a speaker system that can be used? Otherwise just the pc with speakers could already be quite costly because you would have to mount them somewhere in the firestation, routing the wires, etc.

Thanks for the reply.

The station currently opperates multiple PCs and a dedicated server. The station has multiple in roof speakers that works as a PA system. Years ago the system would read the call out over the PA and recently i saw that they all still work. While a group chat might sound like a good idea the problem is more that people dont have a reason to be hurrying. We are quite a large brigade and as such only have 4 mins to respond a truck and looking at your phone is deffinetly not encouraged.

Radios could be a possibility if mounted inside of the trucks, which would also be able to support different information being projected however it would take up to much time and require to much thought for the officer in charge (Its gotta be 50yr old man proof xD).

For one of four buttons to be pressed (each signaling that a differernt type of person is required) would be simple, fast and reliable. 

The plan is as follows:
Button 1: OIC Required

Button 2: Driver Required

Button 3: Breating App. Operator Required

Button 4: Firefighter Required

Each would have a mp3 file simply saying "Pumper OIC Required" or what ever is indicated.

Sorry if i havent been clear enough before hand.

Josh.

Thanks for the extra info,

I'm definitely not an expert on PA systems but if you could manage to call out your mp3 files to this PA system all you have to do is set up buttons that trigger the callouts. 

I did find this kickstarter project:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2021474419/flutter-20-wireless-arduino-with-half-mile-1km-ran/description

It certainly requires some DIY stuff but if you scroll down to that nintendo controller I think that's pretty close to what you have in mind. I've worked with an arduino myself and I know that there are plenty of other wireless transmitters for arduino so if you're willing to spent time and money into it you could make some remote controls and have them trigger the PA system.

But I would suggest to work backwards, so first find out about the functionality of the PA system, then how to control it from a pc, then how to get a signal from a remote controller to the pc, and then make remote controls.

7 hours ago, AimShootFire said:

Hi <snip> Australia

saw your post, think I might have an idea for ya. should be pretty simple to connect together, if you have trouble, you could always take it to a local university and give the students something fun to do.

hardware, option 1 (no programming required). A cheap 4 button dongle at a freq of 315Mhz, controlling a 315Mhz momentary receiver board, connected to a joystick usb encoder, from there, use a program called 'joytokey' to map the buttons to a key or trigger an action.

hardware, option 2. I think using an Arduino as the 'encoder' would be a better option, more info can be found here. The Arduino basically acts as a keyboard, the RX board is your 'button'. When you click a button on your dongle, it gets sent to your RX board, its interpreted by the Arduino, then a keystroke gets sent to your computer over USB. from there (i'm awful at explaining things), you could conceivably control anything, or play whatever audio.

From what I can, the range on the hardware I linked is kinda limited, so... if your less than 25 feet with no obstructions (walls and birds) you should be ok.

Another option (requires more research), some kind of wifi button system?

or a DTMF encoder hooked up to a consumer radio 'walkie talkie'

or use hand signals and hire another guy to watch you then trigger the sounds.

OR USE LASERS! everything is better with lasers.

Spoiler

image.png.e450a7639033ac1b30f42250a8e0a0f4.png

ok, so doing a bit more digging, here's something you could slap together in an afternoon blindfolded.

Parts list

Poorly drawn hook up guide

Spoiler

image.png.2a3e490eeaf1c5a8d471c16d7e93087c.png

Then use joytokey to trigger a batch file, to play an audio file.

Spoiler

image.png.0b2e71b239e1390e7b48947d6d9c67f7.png

REM Replace PATH and FILE
REM Plays audio file
powershell -c (New-Object Media.SoundPlayer 'B:\PATH\FILE.wav').playSync();

The theoretical Range for the 'fobs' is " Remote Distance: 98FT/30M ", I'm not sure how accurate those numbers are, amazon lies sometimes.

For a seamless playing experience, I recommend using a program called 'sWavPlayer' in conjunction with 'joytokey'

Program links again

Screen shot of simple setup

Spoiler

image.png.80879ba8d59f515faff6a01a36404af7.png

I tested this just now, seems to work pretty good. I was triggering audio clips from a USB controller.

Edit: The 'Start From' parameter probably doesn't need to be set.