Windows 10 (1903) ntoskrnl.exe plaguing latency spikes!

Devinator12

Hey guys/gals,

Figured I would ask if anyone has a solution to a problem i have with the latest windows 10 update Build 1903 (10.0.18362.145).

The issue i have is that the system becomes completely unstable after 12~ hours of operation without a power cycle.

1942421366_WhySoSlowcap.PNG.8676466864259f1867fc3c9efe55f9a8.PNG

This has impacted several aspects of my system ranging from downloading apps, streaming files to/from NAS, cursor movement, video response, game loading/running, voice chat programs and java programs.

I appear to not be the only one with the issue.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/bu34xv/update_1903_high_dpc_latency_issues/

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/1120890/geforce-drivers/win10-ver-1903-ntoskrnl-exe-large-latency-spikes-/1/

https://audiosex.pro/threads/windows-10-build-1903-showing-huge-latency-spikes.44384/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybxzoL2aaRs&feature=youtu.be

https://insider.windows.com/en-us/fb/?contextid=79&feedbackid=779a71a0-6a24-4703-a6e5-3bc01466718c&form=1&utm_source=product-placement&utm_medium=feedback-hub&utm_campaign=feedback-hub-redirect

https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/by18eh/latency_issues_and_occasional_sound_stutters/

Notes:

-I use a fiber optic line for internet (Telus gigabit 1000/1000)

-System has been reset once with no change.

-This issue wasn't present in 1809 for myself.

Thanks for your time :)

DxDiag.txt

LatencyMon.txt

MSinfo64-Devin Smith.txt

WhySoSlowOutput.htm

sounds familiar. i think i solved this on my pc a few days ago. your CPU temp and load are similar to mine. I had the same issue with 100% CPU load and 60%+ GPU load everytime i sign in.

1) try disconnecting from the internet, if your loads go down to normal, you could have a malware or some bitcoin mining virus which is using your GPU and CPU in the background. install "GPU Temp" to see its load too.

2) check task manager to see which process is using high loads, end task them and see if loads go down.

3) right click the high load process and go to file location and see if the location seems legit, usually in C:\windows\system32

I found the shits in C:\programdata < hidden folder. nvtray.exe and something else in the "Temp" folder that was definitely a virus. used virustotal to verify. deleted them, but couldnt delete some of the files in there so i changed the security permissions to DENY for all users.

so far no issues. everything is as it should be

Thanks for the reply @vaiwalker.

No virus is running in the background. No bitcoin fake processes either.

Tasker is just reporting GPU usage on google chrome, Desktop Windows Manager and the CAM software.

Temps appear are in normal range.

Files are in the correct locations.

Virustotal marked the files as clean.

alright, try doing a clean boot. go into msconfig, under the services tab, tick the "hide all microsoft services" option, and select disable all then apply. open task manager, the startup tab, and disable any programs you dont need or seem suspicious. reboot and see hows the loads.

if all seems well, get back to msconfig, services, and hide all the microsoft services again, and enable the available list of services one or two or three at a time, rebooting each time. eventually you might see the load problem popup again, from there you should be able to identify which service you last enabled before the load problem came back.

so leave that suspected service unticked and continue enabling the other services a few at a time just to make sure no other service is causing the load problem.

Okay so I've done as you suggested. in the msconfig the system wouldn't let me disable bit defender. All the rest under instructions are off.

I ran a test after 24hr to get a base line BUT the problem still persists.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
CONCLUSION
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Your system appears to be having trouble handling real-time audio and other tasks. You are likely to experience buffer underruns appearing as drop outs, clicks or pops. One or more DPC routines that belong to a driver running in your system appear to be executing for too long. At least one detected problem appears to be network related. In case you are using a WLAN adapter, try disabling it to get better results. One problem may be related to power management, disable CPU throttling settings in Control Panel and BIOS setup. Check for BIOS updates. 
LatencyMon has been analyzing your system for  0:10:58  (h:mm:ss) on all processors.

SYSTEM INFORMATION
Computer name:                                        NEXUS-MKIV
OS version:                                           Windows 10 , 10.0, version 1903, build: 18362 (x64)
Hardware:                                             MS-7A63, MSI, Z270 GAMING PRO CARBON (MS-7A63)
CPU:                                                  GenuineIntel Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7700K CPU @ 4.20GHz
Logical processors:                                   8
Processor groups:                                     1
RAM:                                                  32727 MB total

CPU SPEED
Reported CPU speed:                                   420 MHz

Note: reported execution times may be calculated based on a fixed reported CPU speed. Disable variable speed settings like Intel Speed Step and AMD Cool N Quiet in the BIOS setup for more accurate results.

WARNING: the CPU speed that was measured is only a fraction of the CPU speed reported. Your CPUs may be throttled back due to variable speed settings and thermal issues. It is suggested that you run a utility which reports your actual CPU frequency and temperature. 

MEASURED INTERRUPT TO USER PROCESS LATENCIES
The interrupt to process latency reflects the measured interval that a usermode process needed to respond to a hardware request from the moment the interrupt service routine started execution. This includes the scheduling and execution of a DPC routine, the signaling of an event and the waking up of a usermode thread from an idle wait state in response to that event.

Highest measured interrupt to process latency (µs):   3283.80
Average measured interrupt to process latency (µs):   42.949099

Highest measured interrupt to DPC latency (µs):       3034.30
Average measured interrupt to DPC latency (µs):       39.917912

REPORTED ISRs
Interrupt service routines are routines installed by the OS and device drivers that execute in response to a hardware interrupt signal.

Highest ISR routine execution time (µs):              106.219762
Driver with highest ISR routine execution time:       dxgkrnl.sys - DirectX Graphics Kernel, Microsoft Corporation

Highest reported total ISR routine time (%):          0.000053
Driver with highest ISR total time:                   dxgkrnl.sys - DirectX Graphics Kernel, Microsoft Corporation

Total time spent in ISRs (%)                          0.000057

ISR count (execution time <250 µs):                   347
ISR count (execution time 250-500 µs):                0
ISR count (execution time 500-999 µs):                0
ISR count (execution time 1000-1999 µs):              0
ISR count (execution time 2000-3999 µs):              0
ISR count (execution time >=4000 µs):                 0

REPORTED DPCs
DPC routines are part of the interrupt servicing dispatch mechanism and disable the possibility for a process to utilize the CPU while it is interrupted until the DPC has finished execution.

Highest DPC routine execution time (µs):              1072.852381
Driver with highest DPC routine execution time:       ndis.sys - Network Driver Interface Specification (NDIS), Microsoft Corporation

Highest reported total DPC routine time (%):          0.000245
Driver with highest DPC total execution time:         ndis.sys - Network Driver Interface Specification (NDIS), Microsoft Corporation

Total time spent in DPCs (%)                          0.000432

DPC count (execution time <250 µs):                   2996
DPC count (execution time 250-500 µs):                0
DPC count (execution time 500-999 µs):                22
DPC count (execution time 1000-1999 µs):              1
DPC count (execution time 2000-3999 µs):              0
DPC count (execution time >=4000 µs):                 0

REPORTED HARD PAGEFAULTS
Hard pagefaults are events that get triggered by making use of virtual memory that is not resident in RAM but backed by a memory mapped file on disk. The process of resolving the hard pagefault requires reading in the memory from disk while the process is interrupted and blocked from execution.

NOTE: some processes were hit by hard pagefaults. If these were programs producing audio, they are likely to interrupt the audio stream resulting in dropouts, clicks and pops. Check the Processes tab to see which programs were hit.

Process with highest pagefault count:                 cam.desktop.exe

Total number of hard pagefaults                       10
Hard pagefault count of hardest hit process:          5
Number of processes hit:                              3

PER CPU DATA
CPU 0 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       51.849984
CPU 0 ISR highest execution time (µs):                106.219762
CPU 0 ISR total execution time (s):                   0.002850
CPU 0 ISR count:                                      214
CPU 0 DPC highest execution time (µs):                719.334286
CPU 0 DPC total execution time (s):                   0.008188
CPU 0 DPC count:                                      1204
CPU 1 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       9.470845
CPU 1 ISR highest execution time (µs):                1.676667
CPU 1 ISR total execution time (s):                   0.000127
CPU 1 ISR count:                                      133
CPU 1 DPC highest execution time (µs):                37.412381
CPU 1 DPC total execution time (s):                   0.004166
CPU 1 DPC count:                                      556
CPU 2 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       32.983812
CPU 2 ISR highest execution time (µs):                0.0
CPU 2 ISR total execution time (s):                   0.0
CPU 2 ISR count:                                      0
CPU 2 DPC highest execution time (µs):                1072.852381
CPU 2 DPC total execution time (s):                   0.009067
CPU 2 DPC count:                                      954
CPU 3 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       8.017368
CPU 3 ISR highest execution time (µs):                0.0
CPU 3 ISR total execution time (s):                   0.0
CPU 3 ISR count:                                      0
CPU 3 DPC highest execution time (µs):                12.209762
CPU 3 DPC total execution time (s):                   0.000273
CPU 3 DPC count:                                      83
CPU 4 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       5.699519
CPU 4 ISR highest execution time (µs):                0.0
CPU 4 ISR total execution time (s):                   0.0
CPU 4 ISR count:                                      0
CPU 4 DPC highest execution time (µs):                74.176190
CPU 4 DPC total execution time (s):                   0.000222
CPU 4 DPC count:                                      83
CPU 5 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       5.704484
CPU 5 ISR highest execution time (µs):                0.0
CPU 5 ISR total execution time (s):                   0.0
CPU 5 ISR count:                                      0
CPU 5 DPC highest execution time (µs):                7.857143
CPU 5 DPC total execution time (s):                   0.000085
CPU 5 DPC count:                                      35
CPU 6 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       7.433967
CPU 6 ISR highest execution time (µs):                0.0
CPU 6 ISR total execution time (s):                   0.0
CPU 6 ISR count:                                      0
CPU 6 DPC highest execution time (µs):                356.685476
CPU 6 DPC total execution time (s):                   0.000652
CPU 6 DPC count:                                      56
CPU 7 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       6.929481
CPU 7 ISR highest execution time (µs):                0.0
CPU 7 ISR total execution time (s):                   0.0
CPU 7 ISR count:                                      0
CPU 7 DPC highest execution time (µs):                9.191190
CPU 7 DPC total execution time (s):                   0.000105
CPU 7 DPC count:                                      48

I've done my tests and its non-conclusive. Clean boot resulted in the same stutter situation. It just took longer to see such saddening effects.

When I ran LatencyMon it pointed out a few "possible" causes.

ndis.sys, tcpip.sys, dxgkrnl.sys and ntoskrnl.sys.

Everything keeps pointing back to the kernel and the net interface... Kind of surprised the LMG is not in an uproar about this seeing how they have fiber internet like me (Maybe Microsoft just hates me).

its the network card problem / you can download latencymon when the problem comes click on start and do a speedtest

you will see ntoskrnl.exe and network driver creating this problem.

try to update your lan card drivers for 1903 if they are on vendor website.

for me i am using gigabyte z270-g7 and drivers are for 1809 as of now.

google ntoskrnl.exe 1903 and network card ntoskrnl.exe  and try to find a fix there are a lot of microsoft posts and reddit ones

• 1 month later...

After using xperf; it seems this ntokrnl.exe DPC spikes is related to Patchguard; PatchGuard is an internal windows protection again Kernel Patch (more info here)

So try to disable Patchguard with EfiGuard

This is not a real solution, but a simple workaround if you have installed the 1903

The best solution is a new "good" build of Windows for a perfect result on LatencyMon

Unfortunately disabling PatchGuard would cause most of my games to refuse to start or could even possibly get me a vac ban.

Also I updated the network driver to the latest version 24.1 with no improvement.

Hey guys I too am having the DPC Latency spike issue, with my Acer Predator Helios 500 Ryzen 2700/Vega 56. 

Any updates or are we all just going to wait until September, when a fix is supposed to be released?

On 7/22/2019 at 11:38 PM, Devinator12 said:

"Unfortunately disabling PatchGuard would cause most of my games to refuse to start or could even possibly get me a vac ban.

Also I updated the network driver to the latest version 24.1 with no improvement."

I understand, theses latency spikes come from ntoskrnl.exe itself, so no solution for you at this moment !

Patchguard is a solution for real time audio application like Ableton live, Serato, VirtualDJ, etc. where theses pikes can cause audio dropout

I am also having the same problem. I have a Core i7, Geforce 1050i, Sound Blaster 5. Awaiting updates.

• 2 months later...

I’ve been having the exact issues described for over a month, I don’t know what to do at this point.