Air Cooled or Water Cooled?

abhay6547

I know this doesn't really belong in the General Discussion topic but I was worried about biased results if I posted in the Air Cooling or Water Cooling sections.

Anyway, I was thinking about buying an i7 4770k and wanted to OC it a little. I know I need to cool it so I was wondering, should I get the Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO air cooler or the Corsair H80i water cooler. The H80i is also like 3x the price, so is the price-performance ratio worth it? What should I do?

i9-6930X @ 5.3GHz | ASUS Z1007-A | 64TB G.Skill Ripjaw XIV 2400GHz RAM | GTX 1080 Ti | Corsair 900R

Corsair CX2500 W | 15TB WD Green | Noctua NH-D24

Yes. H80i > Hyper 212 EVO

"My opinion is that your opinion is wrong." - AlwaysFSX    CPU I5 4690k MB MSI Gaming 5 RAM 2 x 4GB HyperX Blu DDR3 GPU Asus GTX970 Strix,  Case Corsair 760T Storage 1 x 120GB 840EVO 1 x 1TB WD Blue, 1 x 500GB Toshiba  

The cave/beast v2 (OLD) http://imgur.com/a/8AmeH                                  PSU 600W Raidmax RX600AF Displays ASUS VS278Q-P x2, BenQ Xl2720z Cooling Dark Rock 3, 4 AP120s Keyboard Logitech G710+ Mouse Razer Deathadder 

No, get a better air-cooler.

Got any suggestions? I really don't want to spend over $100 on my cooler

i9-6930X @ 5.3GHz | ASUS Z1007-A | 64TB G.Skill Ripjaw XIV 2400GHz RAM | GTX 1080 Ti | Corsair 900R

Got any suggestions? I really don't want to spend over $100 on my cooler

Noctua NH-D14, NH-U14S or Thermalright Silver Arrow are good options.

Edit: be quiet Dark Rock 2/3 is also a good option

What case do you have? So we know if the coolers will fit.

Corsair Graphite 230T

Noctua NH-D14, NH-U14S or Thermalright Silver Arrow are good options.

Edit: be quiet Dark Rock 2/3 is also a good option

Just about sums it up for me. I have never liked water cooling since a sealed loop leaked in a friends machine right into his PSU and took most of the components with it.

Nothing to see here - move along.

Corsair Graphite 230T

160mm, only the NH-D14 will fit from the ones I suggested.

If youre only gonna do minor overclocking i would go with air cooling. Hyper 212 or shadow rock 2 are good options. My friend has an H80i and has an overclock of 4.4 at 1.25 volts, and he loads at 65C, so you wont even get close to the temp threshold with the Hyper 212. Its also, as you said, 3x cheaper. Maybe get a different fan to put on like a SP120 to make it look good :D

[CPU: 4670k] [CPU Cooler: Antec Kühler 1220] [Case: Obsidian 350D] [Mobo: Maximus VI Gene] [RAM: Vengeance Pro 8GB] [GPU: 770 DirectCU II] [PSU: CX750M

[Storage: Samsung 840 Evo 120GB + Seagate Barracuda 2TB] [Screen: Dell U2312HM 23" E-IPS] [Keyboard: Steelseries Apex RAW]

I have a Noctua NH-U14S on my OC'd 4770K. The temperatures never go above 70 C, even under a heavy gaming load..

I would kinda like to upgrade to a custom water loop, but air-cooling is just simpler and has less points of failure..

i7 not perfectly stable at 4.4.. #firstworldproblems

Noctua air cooler would be best IMO

Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, Mr. Creedy, and ideas are bulletproof.

As I get older I get angrier more cynical, meaner. I feel some warning posts coming. I feel a ban coming. I was warned.

CPU-i5 2400 GPU-Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 OC Mobo-H67MA-D2H-B3 Ram-G.Skill Ripjaws 8gb 1333mhz Case-Fractal Define R4 PSU-Corsair CX750 Storage-Samsung EVO 250gb, 1tb WD Black,Hitachi 1tb Other stuff-Corsair K90, M90 Cooling-3x 140mm Fractal fans Sound-Sennheiser HD438 headphones

If you're only going to do a tiny amount of overclocking, the intel one is fine. If you want to do more, then the CM Hyper 212 is a good option, although I find the best comes from BeQiuet, they tend to be quieter and look great.

Compatible with Windows 95