How to monitor BT Hub for drops?

grangervoldemort

How to monitor BT Hub for drops? Anyone know?

The hub light turns red and drops connection at times. Obviously if it drops when I am not using the internet or when I am sleeping I won't know. Anyone know if there is a way to monitor the hub 24/7 via software that will log all drops?

BT reckon up to 5 drops a day is acceptable. Yeah ok try having a gaming YouTube channel with a connection that drops. They tried to say 'those youtuber's must have business connections' - errrrr no most of the big gaming youtuber's started off broke - like pewdepie. They sure AF didn't have the money for a business broadband connection. I claim BS. 

I am paying for a service that is 24/7 and it should be 24/7 as such. This isn't the 80's. Broadband is as important now as electricity. 

Thanks

- Core i5 3570k
- GA-Z77X-D3H -- REV 1.0

- Samsung Green 8GB DDR3 C11 1600Mhz 30nm
- Gigabyte HD 7870 OC Windforce 3x 2GB

- Corsair TX 650W

- Asus Xonar D2X PCI-E

- TP-Link Wireless N Adapter TL-WDN4800
- Bluetooth Adapter - TRUST 17772

- OS Drive Crucial MX500 500GB

- Samsung BluRay ODD

Lian Li SATA power switch BZ-H06B
BitFenix Recon Internet-Connected Fan Controller
Zalman CNPS9500AT with Zalman ZM-CS5B CNPS Clip Support

I don’t know about the BT hub but you could have a program that pings an ip that is always up like google every certain amount of time and then registers if it was down or not and at what time

7 hours ago, mtz_federico said:

I don’t know about the BT hub but you could have a program that pings an ip that is always up like google every certain amount of time and then registers if it was down or not and at what time

Surely that won't JUST show a total drop on the BT hub aka the light going red?

Also how can I do this? 

Thanks

- Core i5 3570k
- GA-Z77X-D3H -- REV 1.0

- Samsung Green 8GB DDR3 C11 1600Mhz 30nm
- Gigabyte HD 7870 OC Windforce 3x 2GB

- Corsair TX 650W

- Asus Xonar D2X PCI-E

- TP-Link Wireless N Adapter TL-WDN4800
- Bluetooth Adapter - TRUST 17772

- OS Drive Crucial MX500 500GB

- Samsung BluRay ODD

Lian Li SATA power switch BZ-H06B
BitFenix Recon Internet-Connected Fan Controller
Zalman CNPS9500AT with Zalman ZM-CS5B CNPS Clip Support

On 5/29/2019 at 1:10 PM, grangervoldemort said:

How to monitor BT Hub for drops? Anyone know?

The hub light turns red and drops connection at times. Obviously if it drops when I am not using the internet or when I am sleeping I won't know. Anyone know if there is a way to monitor the hub 24/7 via software that will log all drops?

BT reckon up to 5 drops a day is acceptable. Yeah ok try having a gaming YouTube channel with a connection that drops. They tried to say 'those youtuber's must have business connections' - errrrr no most of the big gaming youtuber's started off broke - like pewdepie. They sure AF didn't have the money for a business broadband connection. I claim BS. 

I am paying for a service that is 24/7 and it should be 24/7 as such. This isn't the 80's. Broadband is as important now as electricity. 

Thanks

You might want to read section 8. & 14. of the terms and conditions for your provider's service. While I agree that "5 drops a day" shouldn't have to be the norm, your provider makes NO guarantee that the service will remain up 24/7/365, and nor should they, as it's technically infeasible to have such a service at the residential level at their current rates.

One way you can rectify this as a consumer is by getting a second internet provider in the home & a load balancing network switch that supports automagic failover, but as I'm sure you'll be quick to tell me: "I shouldn't have to pay for a whole second internet connection for 100% uptime." That's fair - I agree that no one should have to pay double, but we don't live in a perfect world. This is especially true for the data centres that run the internet's servers - they often have 5 or more backbone connections for failover should one stop working or go down.

At this point, it would definitely be good to have BT pull the logs to determine the signal strength before & after the Hub drops, as this can help BT determine if there's a faulty piece of equipment further down the pipe outside your home, and help you determine if moving the BT Hub to another spot in your home will aid in keeping a stable connection.

https://www.bt.com/terms/post11thjan2019voiceandbroadband/

8.             What we have to do for you

a.      We provide each service, the equipment and installation work to the UK address you give us. We may take instructions from a person who we have good reason to believe is acting with your permission.

b.      We aim to provide a continuous, high-quality service using reasonable care and skill. However, due to the nature of each service and the equipment we use to provide it, we can't guarantee that it'll be available all the time.

c.      Sometimes faults in our network affect a service. We'll fix any faults as soon as we can. If there is a fault, read clause 14 which explains what you can do. If you report a fault, and we are unable to diagnose the problem remotely, we might send out an engineer to your property. This is free of charge if the problem is with our network. But if the engineer finds the problem is with your home wiring, your equipment, or our network has been damaged within the boundary of your property other than through fair wear and tear, you will have to pay for the engineer visit. We will tell you about this when we make the appointment. For charges, please see our Tariff Guide.

d.      Occasionally we might have to interrupt, change or temporarily suspend some or all of a service. That could be to maintain, upgrade or repair the network. If we do, we'll try to get the network up and running again as quickly as possible.

e.      In exceptional circumstances, we might have to do things to manage our network's performance. Please read the broadband traffic management policy at bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/47278/.

f.       If we know or believe that any of your devices have been infected by malware (software designed to disrupt or damage a computer system, such as a computer virus), or if any of your devices try to get access to a malicious website (a website that attempts to install malware), we might take action. That might mean putting software onto our network to stop the spread of that malware or to prevent your devices from going to the malicious website.

g.      We try to make sure antivirus software and other security features we provide are effective. Please make back-up copies of your documents, photos and so on in case the originals are lost or corrupted.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)