What interface do Intel's PCIe cards use?

john01dav

Hello,

I currently have a desktop computer with the Gigabyte Z390 M GAMING Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard. Visually, it seems to have 2 M.2 slots. I want to add dual band 5Ghz and 2.4Ghz wifi AC functionality to this computer via an Intel wifi device. When I look on Pcpartpicker (with a filter for Intel devices) or Intel's website for these devices, the interface seems to be mini PCIe or half mini PCIe, for anything modern. As I understand it, this is just another name for M.2, so it should work just fine. Yet, when I add my current parts list to Pcpartpicker, all of these Intel devices disappear, and a few ancient plain PCIe ones remain, suggesting that they are not actually compatible with my computer. What is the cause of this issue? Additionally, I heard about adapters to allow a mini PCI device to work in a regular PCIe slot. Do I need one of these? If so, where can I find one?

The primary reason that I want Intel's wifi products is because they, as a company, have excellent foss drivers for Linux.

Thank you