I'm very confused about my CPU Temps

Go to solution Solved by SammyV,

That processor only has one temperature sensor for core temps (as opposed to individual sensors for each core like in newer designs), as evident from your screenshots. The discrepancy between core and package temps in HWMonitor and AIDA64 is a faulty reading, or incorrect calculation of temp from sensor values.

Hello everyone I'm very confused with my CPU Temp and am now here for help. So I am currently using an AMD Athlon x6 860k Quad Core 3.7ghz (OC to 4.2) cpu. I don't know if this is normal but, on CoreTemps it shows my cpu cores all running at the same temperature which I don't know if it's normal. On HWMonitor the CPU Package has the same Temp as the Cores.. I decided to try out other monitoring programs such as Aida64 and HWiNFO (Screenshot shown below) and the CPU diode is the same temp as the ones Coretemp shows me. I'd like to know if these are normal readings. AMD Overdrive Thermal Margin on idle says 50-68c which I believe is good and underload is 33-44c. I just find it strange how all the cores temp are the same and why HWMonitor CPU Package shows the same thing but cores temp seems high.. Let me know!

Screenshot (3).png

Screenshot_20190523-014328.png

That processor only has one temperature sensor for core temps (as opposed to individual sensors for each core like in newer designs), as evident from your screenshots. The discrepancy between core and package temps in HWMonitor and AIDA64 is a faulty reading, or incorrect calculation of temp from sensor values.

19 minutes ago, SammyV said:

Does this mean I shouldn't worry much about it then?  I'm guessing CoreTemps and Hwinfo have good reading correct?

From what I've read, the temperature readings from this series of processors can be a bit flaky. Some say you begin running into issues near or beyond the 70C mark, can't say how accurate that is though. I'd say if you are feeling uncertain, dial down the OC or invest in a beefier cooling solution.

1 minute ago, SammyV said:

From what I've read, the temperature readings from this series of processors can be a bit flaky. Some say you begin running into issues near or beyond the 70C mark, can't say how accurate that is though. I'd say if you are feeling uncertain, dial down the OC or invest in a beefier cooling solution.

Will do, I forgot to mention that I have a Liquid Cooler on it, just been worried about why the cpu core temps are all the same and how odd HWMonitor shows them. Right now it says they're 27c each while playing. Thanks again for the response!

2 minutes ago, GlazerX said:

Right now it says they're 27c each while playing

That seems quite right for a water-cooled system, I don't think you have anything to worry about. :)