Heeeelp, does my network card support 5ghz?

So, i just got a new router that supports 5ghz. But i can only see the 2.4ghz network under available Networks.

that got me thinking if i was to far away from the router, but im only 10ft away and it works fine on my laptop.

So maybe it is my network card (ASUS PCE-N10 11n) that isn't setup correctly. 

can any of you guys tell me if it supports 5ghz, or if it's just set up incorrectly. 

Thank you :)

indstillinger 2.JPG

indstillinger.JPG

1 minute ago, badreg said:

No. 5ghz support began with 802.11n.

Thank you for the quick response

If i buy a new network card that support 802.11ac, will i be able to use the 5ghz then? 

1 minute ago, Magnus Dahl said:

Thank you for the quick response

If i buy a new network card that support 802.11ac, will i be able to use the 5ghz then? 

Yes. I edited my previous post. Your card does support N, but it does not support 5ghz.

15 minutes ago, badreg said:

No. However, you should set the wireless mode to 802.11b/g/n, so that you get the full 150Mbps that your card is capable of.

https://www.asus.com/us/Networking/PCEN10/specifications/

so i tried changing it to 802.11b/g/n. and i ran a speedtest at the 2.4ghz network, and compared it to the speedtest on my laptop taken 1 minuite appart at the same spot.

could that be caused by the old network card in my desktop?

laptopdesktop

13 minutes ago, Magnus Dahl said:

so i tried changing it to 802.11b/g/n. and i ran a speedtest at the 2.4ghz network, and compared it to the speedtest on my laptop taken 1 minuite appart at the same spot.

could that be caused by the old network card in my desktop?

laptopdesktop

The bottom one is your desktop with the Asus card? What is the connection speed reported by Windows?

win8_wifi.png

24 minutes ago, badreg said:

The bottom one is your desktop with the Asus card? What is the connection speed reported by Windows?

win8_wifi.png

That is weird, since it is only supposed to support up to 150Mbt/s.

In any case, my recommendation is to replace it, since it uses a Realtek chipset, whose WiFi drivers are garbage.

If you want a good recommendation for relatively cheap (while being better than adapters twice the price), I recommend the Fenvi FV102 M.2 to PCIe adapter, and an Intel Wireless-AC 9260, both from Fenvi (they have stores on both AliExpress and Amazon), or if you wish to step up to WiFi 6 (which will take time to be commonplace), the Intel WiFi 6 AX200.

34 minutes ago, badreg said:

win8_wifi.png

Here is the connection speed reported by windoes. 

wifi 123.JPG

10 minutes ago, moriel5 said:

In any case, my recommendation is to replace it, since it uses a Realtek chipset, whose WiFi drivers are garbage.

If you want a good recommendation for relatively cheap (while being better than adapters twice the price), I recommend the Fenvi FV102 M.2 to PCIe adapter, and an Intel Wireless-AC 9260, both from Fenvi (they have stores on both AliExpress and Amazon), or if you wish to step up to WiFi 6 (which will take time to be commonplace), the Intel WiFi 6 AX200.

Does the fenvi one just plug into PCI-E and supports 5ghz? :)

7 minutes ago, Magnus Dahl said:

Here is the connection speed reported by windoes. 

wifi 123.JPG

It's using 802.11g, and connected at 54Mbps, so your speed test results are normal. Try restarting your computer, and see if it reconnects at a higher speed. 144.4Mbps is what you should be getting, which will get you ~65Mbps of max throughput on your speed test. However, if you are limited to one stream, then 72.2Mbps is what you'll get.

9 minutes ago, Magnus Dahl said:

Does the fenvi one just plug into PCI-E and supports 5ghz? :)

The Fenvi adapter is just that, an adapter.

The actual card (this will be the same kind as in your laptop) that you put into that is what does all the work.

So yes, the Intel Wireless-AC 9260 supports up to 300Mbt/s on 2.4Ghz Wireless-N, and up to 1.73Gbt/s on 5Ghz Wireless-AC (up to 300Mbt/s on 5Ghz Wireless-N).

The Intel WiFi 6 AX200 supports up to 600Mbt/s on 2.4Ghz Wireless-AX (up to 300Mbt/s on 2.4Ghz Wireless-N), and up to 2.4Gb/s on 5Ghz Wireless-AX (up to 1.73Gbt/s on 5Ghz Wireless-AC, and up to 300Mbt/s on 5Ghz Wireless-N).

Warning: Your router also needs to support those speeds, otherwise you wont be getting the full speeds (the maximum speed will be the maximum speed supported by the device that supports slower speeds).

3 minutes ago, moriel5 said:

The Fenvi adapter is just that, an adapter.

The actual card is what you put into that is what does all the work.

So yes, the Intel Wireless-AC 9260 supports up to 300Mbt/s on 2.4Ghz Wireless-N, and up to 1.73Gbt/s on 5Ghz Wireless-AC (up to 300Mbt/s on 5Ghz Wireless-N).

The Intel WiFi 6 AX200 supports up to 600Mbt/s on 2.4Ghz Wireless-AX (up to 300Mbt/s on 2.4Ghz Wireless-N), and up to 2.4Gb/s on 5Ghz Wireless-AX (up to 1.73Gbt/s on 5Ghz Wireless-AC, and up to 300Mbt/s on 5Ghz Wireless-N).

But those all go into my motherboard is that correct?

and how do i know if my motherboard is compatible? 

1 minute ago, Magnus Dahl said:

But those all go into my motherboard is that correct?

and how do i know if my motherboard is compatible? 

Correct.

As for compatibility, it will go in the same exact exact slot as the current Asus card, and as someone who has several (all use the Intel Wireless-AC 9260, except for my desktop, which has an Intel Wireless-AC 7260 until I have the budget to upgrade it) of these in his house (my desktop, temporarily an MSI with an H61 chipset, hopefully will return to the Intel, with an H55 chipset, my sisters' desktop (an Intel with an H67 chipset), another sister's desktop (a Gigabyte with an H77 chipset), and my father's desktop (an Intel with an H57 chipset), as well as just the card (Intel 9260) in our laptops (Lenovo IdeaPad 300-15ISk, Dell Vostro 3568, Acer CB-131), I can safely say that there are no issues (the FV102 with the Intel 9260 even work great on my friend's desktop, which has a Ryzen 5 CPU, so no worries there).

3 minutes ago, moriel5 said:

Correct.

As for compatibility, it will go in the same exact exact slot as the current Asus card, and as someone who has several (all use the Intel Wireless-AC 9260, except for my desktop, which has an Intel Wireless-AC 7260 until I have the budget to upgrade it) of these in his house (my desktop, temporarily an MSI with an H61 chipset, hopefully will return to the Intel, with an H55 chipset, my sisters' desktop (an Intel with an H67 chipset), another sister's desktop (a Gigabyte with an H77 chipset), and my father's desktop (an Intel with an H57 chipset), as well as just the card (Intel 9260) in our laptops (Lenovo IdeaPad 300-15ISk, Dell Vostro 3568, Acer CB-131), I can safely say that there are no issues (the FV102 with the Intel 9260 even work great on my friend's desktop, which has a Ryzen 5 CPU, so no worries there).

So all the cards you mentioned before will go in the PCI express port?

9 minutes ago, Magnus Dahl said:

So all the cards you mentioned before will go in the PCI express port?

I only mentioned 2 cards (except for your current card), and one adapter.

The adapter (i.e. FV102) goes into the PCIe (PCI Express) port, and before that you put the M.2 card (i.e. Intel 9260) inside the adapter.

The procedure for putting the M.2 card in the M.2 to PCIe adapter is the same as putting an M.2 card inside a laptop.

1 minute ago, moriel5 said:

I only mentioned 2 cards (except for your current card), and one adapter.

The adapter (i.e. FV102) goes into the PCIe (PCI Express) port, and before that you put the M.2 card (i.e. Intel 9260) inside the adapter.

The procedure for putting the M.2 card in the M.2 to PCIe adapter is the same as putting an M.2 card inside a laptop.

oh ofc. so i will need to buy the adapter and one of the M.2 cards, and get optimal results? 

8 minutes ago, Magnus Dahl said:

oh ofc. so i will need to buy the adapter and one of the M.2 cards, and get optimal results? 

Pretty much.

Just now, moriel5 said:

Pretty much.

Thank you very much for you help and explanations. You really helped me out :)

22 minutes ago, Magnus Dahl said:

Thank you very much for you help and explanations. You really helped me out :)

No problem, I may not be active on a regular basis, however this is one of the reasons why I am here, to help others.

• 2 years later...
On 5/15/2019 at 9:09 PM, moriel5 said:

Sorry for rising up the old thread. I just have been going for a _long_ time with this “ASUS PCE-N10” card. There has never been an option to choose b/g/n… Only b/g, in the options, The only place n is mentioned is the hoc -part. But still it says it is connected as n-mode. And 5ghz won't work, it just won't find it. But the speed seems to be with that 2,4ghz, with b/g option, 300/72. I don't know what is the sense in forcing to select option to use b/g, because there is no option n. And then it just uses n after all…  Just had to reply to this, because it has always been a confusing card.

Näyttökuva 2022-05-03 095115.jpg