Air pockets in loop

Just now, W-L said:

Long as the o ring is thick enough and still has enough to create a proper seal you can back off the bolts a tiny bit.  

You think it sounds plausible, what they think it could be?

2 minutes ago, ChrisZH said:

You think it sounds plausible, what they think it could be?

Yes it is possible to jam an impeller if you a thin oring is used or over-tighten depending on the pump top design, most have a lip that doesn't let it sit too far in to prevent that but some don't. 

20 minutes ago, W-L said:

Yes it is possible to jam an impeller if you a thin oring is used or over-tighten depending on the pump top design, most have a lip that doesn't let it sit too far in to prevent that but some don't. 

Nope, did not help at all with the noise. I think i got a bad pump, because the unit was put together when i got it.

12 hours ago, W-L said:

So frustrating to get a bad pump sent to me. Well they said they will send the pump they tested to me so i guess i have to drain the loop and put it back together when i get it

3 hours ago, ChrisZH said:

So frustrating to get a bad pump sent to me. Well they said they will send the pump they tested to me so i guess i have to drain the loop and put it back together when i get it

That’s good to hear, yeah alway a pain if something happens with a custom loop. You can re use the fluid though since it’s essentially brand new. 

3 hours ago, W-L said:

That’s good to hear, yeah alway a pain if something happens with a custom loop. You can re use the fluid though since it’s essentially brand new. 

Yea, thankfully learned and put a drain valve in to make it easier haha. Im really curious to see whats wrong with the pump. Or maybe its the pump top. Idk lol

On 5/18/2019 at 12:14 PM, W-L said:

So i replaced the pump, still hear something. Maybe its bubbles but its nowhere near as bad

Here is old pump for reference

Also i looked at bad D5 pump, cant see anything that would be defective with it

5 minutes ago, ChrisZH said:

Also i looked at bad D5 pump, cant see anything that would be defective with it

That does sound like air bubbles making it's way around into the pump, give it some time to bleed and check again afterwards to see if it improves. 

34 minutes ago, W-L said:

That does sound like air bubbles making it's way around into the pump, give it some time to bleed and check again afterwards to see if it improves. 

The vibrations are still there but i heard thats normal for a D5 pump right? It sounds kind of similar to the old pump, but it just does not have that kind of grindy sound to it.

ughh man those vibrations are killer when your on the same desk as it... any advice?

The sound doesnt really start until it starts moving a good amount of water at high speed. Idk i guess i was under the impression that there would be zero sound with this. When i was filling i made sure there was fluid inside the pump head completely and moved it around so it was everywhere. Did not want to run it dry.

13 minutes ago, ChrisZH said:

The vibrations are still there but i heard thats normal for a D5 pump right? It sounds kind of similar to the old pump, but it just does not have that kind of grindy sound to it.

The sound doesnt really start until it starts moving a good amount of water at high speed. Idk i guess i was under the impression that there would be zero sound with this. When i was filling i made sure there was fluid inside the pump head completely and moved it around so it was everywhere. Did not want to run it dry.

Motor noise especially at full speed is normal, the D5 s quite but even when ideal down to the lowest setting is not dead silent but extremely quiet. Given a quiet enough environment I can hear the pump or HDD in my system. 

On 5/12/2019 at 10:50 AM, ChrisZH said:

Also i think the pump is running at 100% right now because its just connected to a molex. It is pwm enabled but since its not connected to mobo, it should be running at max right?

here's a tip. Don't use that dog shit case. Holy hell that thing is atrocious

Sorry about my spelling sometimes. My $1200 laptop has a $2 keyboard.

13 minutes ago, ChrisZH said:

Just now, BleachedFur said:

here's a tip. Don't use that dog shit case. Holy hell that thing is atrocious

I love my cougar conquer case, just because you dont like it doesnt mean someone else wont.

16 minutes ago, W-L said:

Motor noise especially at full speed is normal, the D5 s quite but even when ideal down to the lowest setting is not dead silent but extremely quiet. Given a quiet enough environment I can hear the pump or HDD in my system. 

You think im hearing it more because its complete open case? I guess i never took that into consideration.

How would you handle the vibrations though? I got these foam pads that came with it, not really helping much.

Just now, ChrisZH said:

I love my cougar conquer case, just because you dont like it doesnt mean someone else wont.

that's true, but I do reviews for Cougar's stuff professionally, I even have the Panzer, MX 330-G, the Cougar Arena gaming mat, and the 700M Evo RGB, which I got for free because I review their stuff. Rocking the MX-330G for my main build.

But the Conquer is just a god awful case, I hated it in my review and I still hate it now. The angle of your radiators is part of the problem, mainly because that case is literal dog shit.

There are better options for open air chassis than that case.

42 minutes ago, BleachedFur said:

that's true, but I do reviews for Cougar's stuff professionally, I even have the Panzer, MX 330-G, the Cougar Arena gaming mat, and the 700M Evo RGB, which I got for free because I review their stuff. Rocking the MX-330G for my main build.

But the Conquer is just a god awful case, I hated it in my review and I still hate it now. The angle of your radiators is part of the problem, mainly because that case is literal dog shit.

There are better options for open air chassis than that case.

It seems like the conquer really allows vibrations everywhere lol. How would you suggest stopping them?

52 minutes ago, ChrisZH said:

How would you suggest stopping them?

Personally I'd get a different case. But rubber feet on the bottom help a lot more than the plastic ones 

My MX-330-G has foam pads on the bottom of the feet, and for my old-as-dirt ML-350-G6 dual socket server that has 40TB of spinnydisks that vibrate like a biplane engine, I actually took some sponges and cut them and used them as feet on each corner.

The problem with the Conquer is the fact that everything is bolted directly to the chassis rather than things like drive sleds. The pump in my MX-330 is actually bolted to a fan, which has rubber vibration dampers on each corner.

Places like Lowes sell rubber gaskets of all sizes, but honestly you'd be much better off with getting a different case.

Here's my MX-330-G.

IMG_20190521_224450.jpg

21 hours ago, BleachedFur said:

Personally I'd get a different case. But rubber feet on the bottom help a lot more than the plastic ones 

My MX-330-G has foam pads on the bottom of the feet, and for my old-as-dirt ML-350-G6 dual socket server that has 40TB of spinnydisks that vibrate like a biplane engine, I actually took some sponges and cut them and used them as feet on each corner.

The problem with the Conquer is the fact that everything is bolted directly to the chassis rather than things like drive sleds. The pump in my MX-330 is actually bolted to a fan, which has rubber vibration dampers on each corner.

Places like Lowes sell rubber gaskets of all sizes, but honestly you'd be much better off with getting a different case.

Here's my MX-330-G.

IMG_20190521_224450.jpg

How would you suggest isolating the vibrations from the pump without making it heat up?

23 hours ago, ChrisZH said:

You think im hearing it more because its complete open case? I guess i never took that into consideration.

How would you handle the vibrations though? I got these foam pads that came with it, not really helping much.

Depends on what foam pads you are using, as sugested it would be best to not fasten the pump down using hardware but to just have the pump stuck onto thick foam. The open can will emit a bit more noise but with the D5 dialed all the way down it shouldn't be a bother to most people.