Adapters and cables difference

Fire Trek

This may be explained in another topic however, I cant seem to find it. The question is this. I am planning on building my own PC desk. I want to hide the wires using PVC pipes and I use DVI. The problem is the big connection DVI type wont fit in the pipe i am planning to use. My graphics card i use has DP output, which i use an adapter to convert DP to DVI and use a DVI cable. I have seen cables that simply covert DP to DVI without the bulky box part. However, i don't know if this cable would work in taking the DP and morph it to the DVI on the monitor or would it take the DVI on the card and morph it to the DP on a monitor (which i don't have a DP monitor) The simplicity of the question is what is the difference between the cables. See pictures for easier understanding. 

DVI to DP.jpg

DP to DVI.jpg

I would beware of those kinda cables... 

They can be hit or miss

heres a video

i7 6700k, GTX 1080, Crucial MX 300, Maximus VII Hero, WD Blue, 16 GB RAM

There is no difference, the cable is internally the same as a dongle, just with a longer cable section and male connector on the end instead of female. They will operate identically.

The direction should be noted in the product description. Typically, DP-DVI adapters are DisplayPort to DVI configuration, meaning they convert DP source to DVI display. Check the product description for confirmation.