Monitor will not connect

PixlRabt
Go to solution Solved by PixlRabt,

Update: upon deciding that all else had failed, I reseated that gpu. PC now starts every time, problem solved :)

Hello Internets,

So today I was doing a little upgrading on my mothers computer. Basically a lady across the street had an extremely similar acer pc from a few years ago and she didn't want it any more so I acquired it. Seeing as it had a stronger processor than my mothers existing computer and worked more reliably, I resolved to take the ram from the original pc and put it into the new one. However, I have one issue with the new computer. It will only connect to the monitor when it WANTS to. I plug in the monitor the motherboard VGA port, and a mouse and keyboard and when I turn it on the fans all start up, and the HDD is spinning, PSU fan is spinning, but nothing happens on the screen. When I turn the monitor off and back on it says ANALOG and then after a couple seconds DIGITAL in the top left corner, and if I unplug the cable from either end it tells me to check the cable. Does anyone know what causes this? I fixed it earlier by unplugging everything bar the monitor, and it turned on. When I turned it off then after I had inserted the mouse and keyboard it would turn on without having to take them out. Could this be caused by the fact I tried to install a GPU from the old pc into the new one while power was still connected to the PSU? The computer was off, and I forgot to disconnect the cable. Upon hooking up the two display cables to the new GPU the monitor problem returned.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

- Tharrison14

I've rebooted numerous times, how would I go about clearing CMOS and what would it do?

Did you try turning it off an on again? What about clearing the CMOS?

I've rebooted numerous times, how would I go about clearing CMOS and what would it do?

On the motherboard there is a little button cell battery, remove it, unplug your psu, press the power button about 10 times. Put the battery back in and plug it all back up. it's like a refresh for your motherboard. Helped me for connection issues with my monitors

On the motherboard there is a little button cell battery, remove it, unplug your psu, press the power button about 10 times. Put the battery back in and plug it all back up. it's like a refresh for your motherboard. Helped me for connection issues with my monitors

I'll try this, when you say unplug the PSU, do you mean from the motherboard or from power?

I'll try this, when you say unplug the PSU, do you mean from the motherboard or from power?

From the power, and on the back of the psu there is another switch, flip that to off.

From the power, and on the back of the psu there is another switch, flip that to off.

It didn't work, has inserting that gpu while the psu was connected to power done anything? it was working before that.

It didn't work, has inserting that gpu while the psu was connected to power done anything? it was working before that.

Why did you do that.... Take out that gpu and use the plugs in the motherboard, you could have shocked your gpu, potentially ruining it.

Why did you do that.... Take out that gpu and use the plugs in the motherboard, you could have shocked your gpu, potentially ruining it.

It was an accident, I had turned the computer off and forgotten to disconnect the PSU, as stated in my first post. Upon realising my mistake I disconnected the gpu and have been trying the motherboard connection ever since.

Update: upon deciding that all else had failed, I reseated that gpu. PC now starts every time, problem solved :)