Add 64GB Extra RAM for Virtualization

I am considering adding 64GB extra RAM to my existing 64GB RAM so I reach the maximum of 128GB RAM that is the theoretical maximum amount of memory that can be fitted in to my system.

The system currently holds this type of memory: 2x Corsair Vengeance LPX - 32GB: 2x16GB memory kit - CMK32GX4M2B3000C15

The system is around 1 year old. I am afraid that the memory kit part number will be removed from the marked within the next year and then I may have to buy a brand-new RAM kit and throw away the old RAM.

I have heard that mixing types of RAM when you have very heavy RAM usage can be tricky.

I use my system for virtualization and run multiple servers and client operation systems at the same time to simulate varies setups. I have not yet been in a situation where I can not run what I need. But if I figure out that I need the capacity down the road and end up buying 128GB RAM in total will be a shame.

Do you guys think it is a good idea to go maximum memory for potential “future proofing” the system now or would you just wait

you should not upgrade you pc if you have enough performance.
If you need the ram right now, go for it.
But hardware pricing normally goes down over time.

You might not need mor ram until you build a new system which could youse ddr5

If 99% of the time you're under 50gb, I wouldn't do it.

If you are getting into swap/paged then I'd upgrade.

But if you're regularly above 50gb but under 60gb then you need to have real good look at your usage and where it might be in a couple years.

Think about whether your work could benefit from 128gb even if it doesn't need it.

As for mixing RAM. Mainly as long as the speed, timings and, brand are the same, you will be fine.

-アパゾ