Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
D.J.

Can't connect with ethernet

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

So i got my new pc yesterday, yay; however, when I plug my ethernet cable into the extender next to my pc,  it says it can't connect. It actually says I need to re-install a driver. Nothing seems to connect the was it should and when I switch my extender to be an access point, it disconnects and doesn't reconnect to the router. (The main white cable below is the ethernet cable in question m, connected to the extender)

1553542089739-1059937849.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

So it says it needs to reinstall a driver. Have you tried manually installing the correct driver? Also, what extender model and what NIC in your PC?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
17 minutes ago, NinJake said:

So it says it needs to reinstall a driver. Have you tried manually installing the correct driver? Also, what extender model and what NIC in your PC?

 I'm going to be completely honest with you, I have no clue what a driver is or the NIC (and what that is). My extender is just a standard Netgear wall one. Also, I just got the pc and I know literally nothing 

Link to post
Share on other sites

That's fine. If you unplug the extender there may be a model number on it somewhere. As for the NIC (Network Interface Card (the place you plug ethernet in)), I'm assuming you're on windows 10 now:

 

Right click the start button (bottom left corner of screen on taskbar), select "device manager". When you're in device manager look for "network adapters" and expand the list.

 

image.png.d3e5be3166b5eeb36f90fd960af5b768.png

 

Right click the adapter, in my case it's an intel ethernet connection. Select properties. Go to the drivers tab and please post what the driver version is as well as what the adapter itself is showing up as.

 

image.png.21c1556708517e475bea3bab91948aa2.png

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
14 minutes ago, NinJake said:

That's fine. If you unplug the extender there may be a model number on it somewhere. As for the NIC (Network Interface Card (the place you plug ethernet in)), I'm assuming you're on windows 10 now:

 

Right click the start button (bottom left corner of screen on taskbar), select "device manager". When you're in device manager look for "network adapters" and expand the list.

 

image.png.d3e5be3166b5eeb36f90fd960af5b768.png

 

Right click the adapter, in my case it's an intel ethernet connection. Select properties. Go to the drivers tab and please post what the driver version is as well as what the adapter itself is showing up as.

 

image.png.21c1556708517e475bea3bab91948aa2.png

So I got to the first page of drop downs, but here's the thing:  also, my model for the extender is: EX6100v2

1553544795102-1699399756.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

You say this is a new pc. Is this a pre-built? Do you know the model of the computer itself or the motherboard model?

 

Otherwise, if this is windows 10... can you potentially plug this computer directly into your router/modem and run windows updates? (This should grab the appropriate driver automatically and skip all other troubleshooting.)

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 minute ago, NinJake said:

You say this is a new pc. Is this a pre-built? Do you know the model of the computer itself or the motherboard model?

 

Otherwise, if this is windows 10... can you potentially plug this computer directly into your router/modem and run windows updates? (This should grab the appropriate driver automatically and skip all other troubleshooting.)

Well, "new". It was my cousins and he gave it to me yesterday cause he got a new one. No i can't plug it to my router.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Well then you'll need to figure out what NIC you have, go on a separate computer and download the driver to a USB, and install the driver manually.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Buy VPN

×