New RAM stick wont work

Zeustruce
Go to solution Solved by Tz000,
3 minutes ago, Zeustruce said:

I put them in the right spots and even just tried it with the new stick in slot one so maybe it is just a dead stick.

If the stick does not work in single channel mode then the memory stick is probably defective or not compatible with your motherboard / ryzen for some reason.. just take it to the computer store you bought it from and return it and have them give you memory that works.. Sounds like your friend screwed ya haha was the stick brand new never opened?

Ideally buy another stick of the memory you already have mixing memory sticks can work but  not most of the time not... so why take the chance?   just get what you know works  "1x8 G.skill rip Jaw 2666 MHz"  just making sure timings etc are also exactly the same.

If your hell bent on making the memory work or you cant return it because it was "friend deal" then check gigabytes website for a BIOS update the B350 chipset has had many upgrades since ryzen came out especially for your CPU as they came out later.   If flashing your BIOS with a new version you will need a USB thumb drive and PLEASE CHECK YOUR MOTHERBOARD MANUAL FOR INSTRUCTIONS there is potential of bricking your MOBO so please follow the procedure laid out in the manual.

I have updated my B350 MOBO almost 4-5 times since MSI released it and my memory compatibility has improved. I use a Ryzen 5 1600 & 16GB Gskills Trident Z RGB and before updates it would never run at the rated speed of 3200 and always default to 2133 after updating it would run up to 2933 stable.

Here I went a step further for you:

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-AB350M-DS3H-rev-1x#kf  Motherboard page

READ all relevent info for your motherboard and check for chipset updates as well that may have to be downloaded before the BIOS update etc all can be found on the "support" page

Good luck.

Help 

So I have a friend who works at a tech store and he had a deal for me for a new stick of ram I was currently using a 1x8 ddr4 G.skill rip Jaw stick and he said he could get me another stick with the same speed and size but a different brand. The new stick is a Crucial Ballistix same size and speed as my other stick but it wouldn't work when I put it in. I tried to put just the new stick in and that also didn't work. I am just wondering what could be wrong.

I am running a 

Ryzen 3 2200G 

Gigabyte GA-AB350M-DS3H

1x8 G.skill rip Jaw 2666 MHz

500W cooler master PS

1 TB hard drive and a 120 GB ssd

Any insight would be greatly appreciated 

Check your manual (it may also be printed on the board itself) for what slots are appropriate for dual stick setups.

Other than that, it may be a faulty stick.

~Remember to quote posts to continue support on your thread~
-Don't be this kind of person-

CPU:  AMD Ryzen 7 5800x | RAM: 2x16GB Crucial Ripjaws Z | Cooling: XSPC/EK/Bitspower loop | MOBO: Gigabyte x570 Aorus Master | PSU: Seasonic Prime 750 Titanium  

SSD: 250GB Samsung 980 PRO (OS) | 1TB Crucial MX500| 2TB Crucial P2 | Case: Phanteks Evolv X | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 (with EK Block) | HDD: 1x Seagate Barracuda 2TB

I put them in the right spots and even just tried it with the new stick in slot one so maybe it is just a dead stick.

3 minutes ago, Zeustruce said:

If the stick does not work in single channel mode then the memory stick is probably defective or not compatible with your motherboard / ryzen for some reason.. just take it to the computer store you bought it from and return it and have them give you memory that works.. Sounds like your friend screwed ya haha was the stick brand new never opened?

Ideally buy another stick of the memory you already have mixing memory sticks can work but  not most of the time not... so why take the chance?   just get what you know works  "1x8 G.skill rip Jaw 2666 MHz"  just making sure timings etc are also exactly the same.

If your hell bent on making the memory work or you cant return it because it was "friend deal" then check gigabytes website for a BIOS update the B350 chipset has had many upgrades since ryzen came out especially for your CPU as they came out later.   If flashing your BIOS with a new version you will need a USB thumb drive and PLEASE CHECK YOUR MOTHERBOARD MANUAL FOR INSTRUCTIONS there is potential of bricking your MOBO so please follow the procedure laid out in the manual.

I have updated my B350 MOBO almost 4-5 times since MSI released it and my memory compatibility has improved. I use a Ryzen 5 1600 & 16GB Gskills Trident Z RGB and before updates it would never run at the rated speed of 3200 and always default to 2133 after updating it would run up to 2933 stable.

Here I went a step further for you:

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-AB350M-DS3H-rev-1x#kf  Motherboard page

READ all relevent info for your motherboard and check for chipset updates as well that may have to be downloaded before the BIOS update etc all can be found on the "support" page

Good luck.