Random and frequent BSODs(2/day past few days)

Nik_

Started having very frequent BSOD's ~2/day the past 2 or 3 days and a few spread across the previous week also just had two non BSOD crashes just to black screen with power and no response from any input. Most recently Hardware change was a case upgrade so if lose cables can cause BSOD it may be that, i checked a few with no sign of it being the issue. My ryzen also runs quite hot, I'm not sure what idle temps should be but they sit around 40-50 and take a long time to drop after hard use. Planning on upgrading cooler just not sure to what yet. 

W10

64bit

win7 1year or longer ago but has had numerous hardware upgrade since then

Not retail or OEM? Been planning on doing fresh install 

HDD from as far back as 2013 to hardware bought 2 months ago

Cant recall

ryzen 5 2600x

asus 1080ti strix oc

asus b450-f

seasonic focus plus 800w

Me

N/a

Desktop

perfmon.html

SysnativeFileCollectionApp.zip

up to 80C is fine.

If you upgraded from win7 to win10 without doing a clean install it can have some orphaned OS junk that crashes it, I had that issue when I upgraded and forgot to clean install afterword.
It's difficult to give more useful answers without the error code shown when it bluescreens (ie. 0x00000008)

desktop

Spoiler

r5 3600,3450@0.9v (0.875v get) 4.2ghz@1.25v (1.212 get) | custom loop cpu&gpu 1260mm nexxos xt45 | MSI b450i gaming ac | crucial ballistix 2x8 3000c15->3733c15@1.39v(1.376v get) |Zotac 2060 amp | 256GB Samsung 950 pro nvme | 1TB Adata su800 | 4TB HGST drive | Silverstone SX500-LG

HTPC

Spoiler

HTPC i3 7300 | Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H | 16GB G Skill | Adata XPG SX8000 128GB M.2 | Many HDDs | Rosewill FBM-01 | Corsair CXM 450W

1 minute ago, Cyracus said:

up to 80C is fine.

If you upgraded from win7 to win10 without doing a clean install it can have some orphaned OS junk that crashes it, I had that issue when I upgraded and forgot to clean install afterword.
It's difficult to give more useful answers without the error code shown when it bluescreens (ie. 0x00000008)

If you're not sure what you're looking for, just get a photo of it.

4 minutes ago, Cyracus said:

up to 80C is fine.

the update was so long ago and i didn't have issues, or at least any consistent ones for a long time, I don't recall if the install was fresh or not. When it happens again I'll try to get the error code before it auto restarts. 

Also for got to add after the BS a percent rolls through, like an update or repair, then after restart brings me a "Select boot device, press any key" screen. 

And even 50C avg at almost idle is fine? Not sure how hot ryzen is but that seems a little high, even for stock cooler. 

2 minutes ago, TopHatTom said:

usually it auto RS's pretty fast but I'll try 

Also, Maybe check that your BIOS is up to date. The ones for Ryzen often get updated relatively regularly.

12 minutes ago, Nik_ said:

the update was so long ago and i didn't have issues, or at least any consistent ones for a long time, I don't recall if the install was fresh or not. When it happens again I'll try to get the error code before it auto restarts. 

Also for got to add after the BS a percent rolls through, like an update or repair, then after restart brings me a "Select boot device, press any key" screen. 

And even 50C avg at almost idle is fine? Not sure how hot ryzen is but that seems a little high, even for stock cooler. 

turn off the auto restart https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/69012-enable-disable-bsod-automatic-restart-windows-10-a.html  The % on that screen is windows logging the crash

Load temps are what you should worry about, 50c is toasty for idle but there's several factors involved, what cooler is used, ambient temps, case airflow

desktop

Spoiler

r5 3600,3450@0.9v (0.875v get) 4.2ghz@1.25v (1.212 get) | custom loop cpu&gpu 1260mm nexxos xt45 | MSI b450i gaming ac | crucial ballistix 2x8 3000c15->3733c15@1.39v(1.376v get) |Zotac 2060 amp | 256GB Samsung 950 pro nvme | 1TB Adata su800 | 4TB HGST drive | Silverstone SX500-LG

HTPC

Spoiler

HTPC i3 7300 | Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H | 16GB G Skill | Adata XPG SX8000 128GB M.2 | Many HDDs | Rosewill FBM-01 | Corsair CXM 450W

1 hour ago, Cyracus said:

turn off the auto restart https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/69012-enable-disable-bsod-automatic-restart-windows-10-a.html  The % on that screen is windows logging the crash

Load temps are what you should worry about, 50c is toasty for idle but there's several factors involved, what cooler is used, ambient temps, case airflow

stock, ~22c prob, nxzt h50 stock fan setup, might try moving them both to intakes, cant remember what the best setup was for cpu

Disabled auto RS and updated bios, we'll see what happens, hopefully it was something simple and stupid. 

1 minute ago, Nik_ said:

nxzt h50 stock fan setup, might try moving them both to intakes, cant remember what the best setup was for cpu

intake from fresh air, single fan rads are bad for the cost, make sure both fans are blowing the same direction

desktop

Spoiler

HTPC

Spoiler

38 minutes ago, Cyracus said:

intake from fresh air, single fan rads are bad for the cost, make sure both fans are blowing the same direction

pretty sure default config is dual exhaust which is good for gpu but not cpu. I wanted AIO for looks but they arent worth it for performance, sound, etc. might try ek's a240 custom loop kit, but its a bit expensive. Then theres the dark rock pro 4 which is easy and good but takes away from the look and covers my ram. 

25 minutes ago, Nik_ said:

pretty sure default config is dual exhaust which is good for gpu but not cpu.

yeah intake is best for cpu, and gpu gets warmer depending on airflow, an intake to feed the gpu cool air helps mitigates the damage. As exhaust the air is always heated before it gets to the rad.

25 minutes ago, Nik_ said:

I wanted AIO for looks but they arent worth it for performance, sound, etc. might try ek's a240 custom loop kit, but its a bit expensive

Yeah, I doted over that cpu+gpu kit a moment or two myself, wanted to expand it with a second rad and a quick disconnect at the low point of the loop. Made it a bit more costly, but it didn't feel right any other way ? Also priced out a copper loop with all the bells and whistles (that I wanted, at least) $635, it was nice enough to make me lament the loss of them in the aluminum loop, and that probably kept me from doing that ?

28 minutes ago, Nik_ said:

Then theres the dark rock pro 4 which is easy and good but takes away from the look and covers my ram.

And on that train of thought, got room for a 240mm AIO?

desktop

Spoiler

HTPC

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, Cyracus said:

And on that train of thought, got room for a 240mm AIO?

I do, was looking at the h100i v2. but not sure if its worth with all the cons. and it gets pretty close to the price of the a240(a240 would take more work to fit in, dont have a ton of extra space). I always conflict myself .I wanna one and done something nice, but I don't wanna empty my wallet. 

3 minutes ago, Nik_ said:

I wanna one and done something nice, but I don't wanna empty my wallet

There are some options (depending on where you're at) I believe deepcool managed to set such a low price by bypassing the Asetek tax https://pcpartpicker.com/products/cpu-cooler/#W=10240&xcx=0&sort=price&page=1

desktop

Spoiler

HTPC

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Cyracus said:

There are some options (depending on where you're at) I believe deepcool managed to set such a low price by bypassing the Asetek tax https://pcpartpicker.com/products/cpu-cooler/#W=10240&xcx=0&sort=price&page=1

I saw them but thought the flow indicator looked weird, guess it's not as bad as I thought. how are they for sound to cooling ratio? ill prob watch some reviews. 

Always come full circle back to air coolers. I want liquid for the looks but leaking scares the shit out of me and the DPR4 and DP4 seem like they are about as quiet with similar temps(compared to the 240ex), obviously this depends on the system. Clearance gets pretty close with them both. Only thing I don't like about tower coolers is covering my ram. Why can't life be easy. FWP

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/18/2019 at 10:18 PM, Cyracus said:

On 3/18/2019 at 7:05 PM, TopHatTom said:

hey forgot i had this up. seemed like i had fixed it for a while after doing a windows repair or something(kinda like an install but didn't delete anything) but got 1 yesterday and 1 today with the error "video_scheduler_internal_error"