First time gaming monitor buyer

Armetron

Hello,

So I've finally bit the bullet and decided to get a new monitor for my rig since I've been using the same monitor for about 7 years now. I've done some research and the must have features I want is 144hz min, 1440p, IPS panel, and some form of variable refresh rate. I currently use a GTX 1080 TI but now that Nvidia is allowing the use of Freesync I'm considering a FreeSync monitor.

The monitor that I'm currently debating is the AORUS AD27QD Gaming Monitor made by Gigabyte. It's a 2019 model, full of features that I like (RGB, Custom hardware crosshair, being able to change all the monitor settings within windows), and a few that I dont care about (noise cancelation, black equalizer)

Currently it costs around $600. My question is are there any "better" choices out there? Is this a "good" purchase? I'm looking for opinions and experience from current users

I have bought many gaming monitors over the years and recommended plenty for my family as well. When looking for a monitor, one of the most important things to consider is that those bells and whistles, like RGB and other nice features, do not really matter, and you should focus entirely on the quality of the panel of the display. There are plenty of cheaper options to implement some bling into your setup, and when it comes to getting a monitor the thing that you will be interacting with every time you use it is the panel. Realistically, you will also not use the sub-menus for the monitor all that much once you find the settings that you like. I would look for the monitor with the best panel for the best price. 

By your interest in the aurous monitor, it appears clear that you are looking in the 32" size category, which is one of my personal favorites as it offers great verticle room to browse websites, whilst also allowing for more horizontal space in games. The monitor you have selected is also a VA panel instead of ips, which you said that you were looking for. I personally think that VA is just fine and has excellent color reproduction, and most likely you will not find an ips for that price in that size unless you step down to a 27". To me, that monitor seems a bit overpriced for the panel it offers, as there are many other manufacturers who offer that exact same panel, if not better, for a cheaper price. 

The monitor that I have is the BenQ EX3203R, which has a curved panel, 400 nits of brightness, 100% SRGB coverage, 1440p, and is 144hz while offering other bells and whistles for relatively the same price, but it offers better brightness and color than the Gigabyte option. I would steer clear of Samsung as I have had bad experiences with their monitors. The best budget option, which offers exactly the same panel 1 for 1 as the Gigabyte is the ViewSonic VX3258-2KC-MHD (which is also curved for only $380!). 

In the 27 inch category there are a hundred more options, but ultimately it will come to you which size you prefer. The best advice I can offer is look at panel quality for price rather than the bells and whistles. The Benq is brighter, more color accurate, and has a brightness sensor, while the Viewsonic is nearly half the price. 

Hope that break down helps :) 

10 hours ago, Maximusfoximus said:

The monitor you have selected is also a VA panel instead of ips

Umm, according to the specs and several reviewers this monitor comes with a 10 bit IPS panel