Nokia 7 plus Security update issue.

Dylanc431

TL:DR: Android security update caused my phone to shit itself, be careful of some software updates and their risks.

This post is mainly a rant and/or warning about the latest Google security update rolling out for Nokia devices (this same issue could be the case with all Android One devices). My device in question was the Nokia 7 Plus.

My phone automatically downloaded the January 2019 update but I decided not to install it because I was simply too lazy to restart my phone and watch it update for 5 minutes. I'm kind of glad I decided not to in the end because when the phone took matters into its own hands it went pear-shaped.

I got into the shower and left my phone on the shelf outside the bathroom as always and just before I went in i heard a short "bzz" and saw the white "Android One" boot screen, I thought "oh, no big deal, at least I don't have to sit and watch it update". came out of the shower to see the phone still on that screen. I picked it up and realized the phone was somehow in "Download Mode". I thought I might have just left it on the power and volume rocker by accident. Tried rebooting... No avail, power+vol up... No avail.

I bring the phone upstairs and plug it in. 

I start up adb+fastboot.
I try forcing the phone into recovery mode: boot loop
I get the dreaded message: "Can't load Android System. Your data may be corrupt. if you continue to get this message you may need to perform a factory data reset and erase all data from the device".

this bit is mainly for the more programming oriented of you: SUPPORTED API: 3 BOOT REASON: enableFilecrypto_failed

I eventually gave in and hit the Erase all Data button... I'm now sitting on the Welcome screen of the phone, incredibly pissed off... 

Hope this warning helps someone out there.