AMD RX 580 in a Dell Optiplex 390

i own an Dell Optiplex 390 with 8 gb of ram and an i5 processor. i originally had an msi gt710 gpu in it that ran 3 900x1440 screens in portrait mode, they were also dell. recently that gpu has stoped working properly and only does 2 screens at a time unless i plug the third one into on-board graphics, the only problem with that is that i cant play games in that configuration and team viewer doesn't even work. the only thing i had added to the system was a Samsung evo 500 gh ssd. i have now installed a 500w power supply and was wondering if any one knows if an AMD RX 580 will work in this system, being that i am still in high school and don't earn enough money to go out and buy the greatest board to go with it. i dont want to spend more than $230 on this and want to buy it new. if any one can let me know if the rx 580 will work on my system please let me know. i am also curious if it can run the eyefhinity software or if that is a more expensive model.

If you have the mini tower and an upgraded psu I don't see why not. It will likely bottleneck the gpu, but that would be another conversation.

If you have the small form factor or desktop version short answer is no, you would need a half height card with no additional power input.

• 2 weeks later...

I did put it in a larger case because to get a 400w power supply that fits in a slim case is very expensive, but I already had a 500w power suply from my dads old computer. (He doesn’t use desktop pc’s anymore, he makes his work pay for his laptops)

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/24/2019 at 5:32 PM, Optiplex 390 user said:

i own an Dell Optiplex 390 with 8 gb of ram and an i5 processor. i originally had an msi gt710 gpu in it that ran 3 900x1440 screens in portrait mode, they were also dell. recently that gpu has stoped working properly and only does 2 screens at a time unless i plug the third one into on-board graphics, the only problem with that is that i cant play games in that configuration and team viewer doesn't even work. the only thing i had added to the system was a Samsung evo 500 gh ssd. i have now installed a 500w power supply and was wondering if any one knows if an AMD RX 580 will work in this system, being that i am still in high school and don't earn enough money to go out and buy the greatest board to go with it. i dont want to spend more than $230 on this and want to buy it new. if any one can let me know if the rx 580 will work on my system please let me know. i am also curious if it can run the eyefhinity software or if that is a more expensive model.

Late reply but, I have an Optiplex 990 Minitower and an RX 570 fits just fine. I wouldn't really go for the RX 580 as it would most likely be bottlenecked by that i5. But don't buy a sapphire card as that most likely won't fit in the case.

• 1 month later...

Ok I can now confirm that the sapphire Radeon rx580 nitro+ does work in my system but the is a software issue depending on the update they act a little differently but to sum it up when I use the Radeon software controller for the graphics card my computer will crash Weather messages while opening the software or when it is changing settings gene whether  it is opening of the software or opening a tab in the software without changing any settings either all the screens will go blank and the computer all just sit there doing nothing or    the well known blue screen of death will pop up.  Is there a software I need to find online besides the one that came once or do I just need to send an error report to Amd because I did try to update the software but it only made things wore. I have tried reinstalling the software multiple times  with a slightly different results each time.imageproxy.php?img=&key=17c10421afdc6db8AFB673F7-7321-4A5C-A0CF-386FE91726E9.thumb.jpeg.ab37be67ab453ed794cf5bf41a33bf0b.jpeg

4A4740C9-E275-4EC0-A8CF-5893014B31D3.thumb.jpeg.b89a2e3cc15f2385d4054a1211ec7b28.jpeg4F4CA887-AC1D-4AC0-AF2D-BEB5915E4074.thumb.jpeg.e9bf7cba3d5b5063f616f8ae9af69065.jpeg68C61739-E35C-4ABD-BEB8-93AD52D8F82A.thumb.jpeg.bb2ba2d3cc3aed7e3b6165b96b567460.jpeg