Broken/fried RX Vega 64 - is there any hope?

Hey, LTT community,

I joined this awesome place because hope dies last and hopefully your knowledge and experience can either help me bring that card back to life or we're gonna collectively call the time of death for it.

The Problem:

Sapphire RX Vega 64 (blower style) not detected at all in device manager, the fan doesn't spin, only the Radeon LED lights up.

When I opened it up to see what's the cause of the problem, I found the following (please see attached images).

That "0.82uH 1708NC" (is that a capacitor?) part in the middle looks to be the culprit, it's burned and the little black square chip next to it has a corner of it missing (I don't know if that affects anything?).

I found this RX Vega board layout: https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-radeon-rx-vega-64,5173-4.html and it looks like there was 1.8V going through that particular part.

It's located in the labeled image, just under VDDCI, labeled as 1.8V in a white square.

The Question:

Now the question is can this part be replaced assuming I'm able to get another Vega just for parts, and then solder it off from one board and solder it on to the other one?

How likely is that this burned part is the only sole culprit of the faulty GPU? Could there be anything else burned or destroyed that's not visible from physical inspection?

If there's anyone who can help me in any way, shape or form, pointing me to where I could get the replacement part or what's the best way to approach the repair and how it should be done, basically if there's any hope and if you can shed some light on that, I'll be grateful to you forever and if you leave a Monero (XMR) address, I'll make sure your effort is properly rewarded as well!

Thank you for your time reading this, I'm looking forward to your responses and advice!

Hope you all have a wonderful day! :))

IMG_20190223_234156909.jpg

IMG_20190223_234225553.jpg

IMG_20190223_234242512.jpg

aHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmJlc3RvZm1pY3JvLmNvbS9GLzkvNjkyNjEzL29yaWdpbmFsL1NjaGVtZS5qcGc=.jpg

Shes a dead... no fixing that most likely. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

6 minutes ago, SpiralTTGL said:

doesn't seem that bad if you replace the two id say there's a 50/50 chance it will come back unless traces are burn internally

Yeah that's my line of thought too, there doesn't seem to be any physical damage in any other areas of the board, so you reckon those pieces could be soldered off and replaced if I had spare parts?

14 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

Shes a dead... no fixing that most likely. 

Is that a capacitor that's burned? Any idea on that?

8 minutes ago, moontechies said:

Is that a capacitor that's burned? Any idea on that?

H (Henry) is an inductance unit, so that would be an inuductor (capacity units are Farads and the letter for that is F :) )

You might be able to get it back to life just resoldering the broken bits as long as there is no other damage that might not be visible with the naked eye i.e. damage to the main GPU die or memory. Soldering small components on a GPU board requires quite a bit of skill and given all the components around the broken bits this one might prove difficult if you don't have the right equipment for the job, but on the other hand you can't make it any worse at this point. ?

I'd start with cleaning off all that dust before you proceed though, it might be what caused the problem in the first place and the damaged components are just the outcome of a short.

thats not a capacitor, thats a power stage. an entire power phase has exploded on you. the core could be fine, id try removing the entire thing clean off and the card might run again but its likely dead without extensive modifications and might be dead even then as the core might be fried. I would send the card to buildzoid for him to play with it if he cares instead of throwing it out

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

dead af.

(◣_◢) Ryzen 5 3600,   Aorus X370 K7,   XPG 16GB 3200,   Gigabyte 2070 Windforce Corsair RM650x,   LG 32GK650F-B 31.5" 144Hz QHD FreeSync VA,   Kingston 120GB SSD,   Samsung 1TB 860 QVO,   2TB HDD,   Fractal Design Meshify C,   Corsair K63 Wireless,   Corsair Gaming M65 PRO,   Audio Technica ATH M50x,   Windows 10 ProCorsair H100x 240mm.  (◣_◢)

(◣_◢) Ryzen 5 1600,   Noctua NH-L12S,   Gigabyte GTX 1060 6G,   ASUS Prime B350 Plus,   HyperX Fury 8GB DDR4 (2666MHz - 1.3v),   SilverStone ET550-B,   Kingston 120GB SSD 2TB HDD,   Cougar MX330,   Windows 10 Pro.  (◣_◢)

7 minutes ago, Arttu89 said:

H (Henry) is an inductance unit, so that would be an inuductor (capacity units are Farads and the letter for that is F :) )

You might be able to get it back to life just resoldering the broken bits as long as there is no other damage that might not be visible with the naked eye i.e. damage to the main GPU die or memory. Soldering small components on a GPU board requires quite a bit of skill and given all the components around the broken bits this one might prove difficult if you don't have the right equipment for the job, but on the other hand you can't make it any worse at this point. ?

I'd start with cleaning off all that dust before you proceed though, it might be what caused the problem in the first place and the damaged components are just the outcome of a short.

Oh awesome, thanks for clearing that up! Yeah, there was quite a bit of dust in there and also it looked like it was turning to mud at some point, like soggy kind of dust, so probably what you're saying, it's the outcome of a short. But that gives me some hope, can't make it any worse at this point, I'll look for a technician who can take a look at it definitely!

10 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

thats not a capacitor, thats a power stage. an entire power phase has exploded on you. the core could be fine, id try removing the entire thing clean off and the card might run again but its likely dead without extensive modifications and might be dead even then as the core might be fried. I would send the card to buildzoid for him to play with it if he cares instead of throwing it out

You mean removing the whole burned part area off and trying to run the card that way?

Just now, moontechies said:

Oh awesome, thanks for clearing that up! Yeah, there was quite a bit of dust in there and also it looked like it was turning to mud at some point, like soggy kind of dust, so probably what you're saying, it's the outcome of a short. But that gives me some hope, can't make it any worse at this point, I'll look for a technician who can take a look at it definitely!

You mean removing the whole burned part area off and trying to run the card that way?

i mean removing the little black square with a corner missing. if its shorted that could be keeping the card from booting and removing it could get it back up. dont get your hopes up as it is likely dead either way

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

9 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

i mean removing the little black square with a corner missing. if its shorted that could be keeping the card from booting and removing it could get it back up. dont get your hopes up as it is likely dead either way

Ohh okay, I see, all right, I'll relay everything you guys told me to the technician when I bring the card to him, and I'll update as soon as there's any progress or definitive news!

Edit: Btw,

Bananasplit_00

and

Arttu89

PM me your Monero addresses or leave them down below if you're into cryptocurrencies, I'd like to send you guys a tip as appreciation for the help!

Edited by moontechies

• 3 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Is the problem solved, same question. There is a Vega 64 with faulty moafet, it lights up again when I change it