Laptop won't recognize external monitor

Marko96

My girlfriend is using HP Pavillion x360 and can't use external monitor. I don't know why. It's an LG monitor not even fullHD, with VGA only. Her laptop only has HDMI out so I've used HDMI to VGA converter and laptop does not display any signal at all at 2nd monitor. I've checked that adapter on my PC with that monitor and it is working fine, but her laptop is not. Then I've tried using TV as "2nd monitor" on her laptop via cable and it is working just fine. Is there anything I can do to fix this issue? 

As I said, I've checked it on my PC worked just fine. The main reason why we want it to work is that we are using projector to watch movies, but it only has VGA support and we are using this really old laptop that can't even output video without struggle..

it could be a resolution issue, after connecting it what does it show when you go to display settings and click on detect. Does it show a second monitor with any options to extend the displays?

Nothing is shown. Drivers are up to date. Everythis is fine but this. I've lowered resolution on main display to check if that was an issue,  but no..nothing is working currently but 720p TV