I'm confused on ram

I have 2x4gb ram right now (not sure if ddr3 or ddr4 as it won't say in taskmanager > memory) but i'm getting 2x8gb ddr4 vengeance ram, im not sure if i need to get a new motherboard if it is ddr3 and now ddr4? So i'm wondering if you can take out ddr3 and replace it with ddr4 with the same motherboard?

Do you know what your CPU is? Task manager should tell you. Unfortunately DDR4 is not backwards compatible, so unless you already have a cpu+motherboard that support DDR4 you'll have to replace both in order to use the new memory. 

3 minutes ago, Fushiatic said:

I have 2x4gb ram right now (not sure if ddr3 or ddr4 as it won't say in taskmanager > memory) but i'm getting 2x8gb ddr4 vengeance ram, im not sure if i need to get a new motherboard if it is ddr3 and now ddr4? So i'm wondering if you can take out ddr3 and replace it with ddr4 with the same motherboard?

no you cannot replace ddr3 with ddr4 

if you want to use ddr4(and ur pc is using ddr3) u will have to buy a newer cpu and motherboard

No DDR4 is not backwards compatible, because it uses mor physical pins on the interface

Edit: formatting broke

Task Manager should tell you the type, but if not it tells the speed. What's the speed?

image.png

My profile picure is real. That's what I look like in real life. I'm actually a blue and white African Wild Dog.

Ryzen 9 5900X - MSI Ventus 2x OC 3060 Ti - 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz CL16 - ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming ITX/ax

EVGA CLC 280 + 2x140mm NF-A14 - Samsung 850 EVO 500GB + WD Black SN750 1TB - Windows 11/10 - EVGA Supernova G3 1000W

1 minute ago, Warlockben said:

Do you know what your CPU is? Task manager should tell you. Unfortunately DDR4 is not backwards compatible, so unless you already have a cpu+motherboard that support DDR4 you'll have to replace both in order to use the new memory. 

I have an i5-6400 2.70ghz

Just now, DaJakerBoss said:

image.png

yeah it just says 8.0gb

1 minute ago, Fushiatic said:

yeah it just says 8.0gb

Sorry, formatting broke, or my wifi, but either way what is the speed of your RAM?

My profile picure is real. That's what I look like in real life. I'm actually a blue and white African Wild Dog.

Ryzen 9 5900X - MSI Ventus 2x OC 3060 Ti - 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz CL16 - ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming ITX/ax

EVGA CLC 280 + 2x140mm NF-A14 - Samsung 850 EVO 500GB + WD Black SN750 1TB - Windows 11/10 - EVGA Supernova G3 1000W

Okay so the I5-6400 has support for ddr4 memory, so you'll be fine just replacing the RAM.

1 minute ago, DaJakerBoss said:

Sorry, formatting broke, or my wifi, but either way what is the speed of your RAM?

2133MHz

1 minute ago, Warlockben said:

Okay so the I5-6400 has support for ddr4 memory, so you'll be fine just replacing the RAM.

Cheers

1 minute ago, Fushiatic said:

2133MHz

oh, well that's great because that's right between DDR3 and DDR4
if you can pull out a stick and google around with the numbers printed on it, you might be able to find out which one it is

EDIT: you already know what it is lol, ignore this

Just now, DaJakerBoss said:

oh, well that's great because that's right between DDR3 and DDR4
if you can pull out a stick and google around with the numbers printed on it, you might be able to find out which one it is

EDIT: you already know what it is lol, ignore this

Alright, thanks, i'm going to remove that and put in 2x8gb ddr4

Ftr your ram is 2666 not 2133.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

You should just open your computer and read the label on the ram sticks