Notifications for sub-forums I don't follow

Xiauj

As of recently, I've been getting 100% random notifications saying "[USER] has posted a topic in [SUB-FORUM]: [TITLE]" in certain sub-forums that I don't follow (..and Yes, I have double-checked!) and am aware that some people have had this issue before, including Me and so I was wondering if anyone else has had this happen within the past month or two..?

It's happened to Me at least 3(?) times within the past 7 days. One person has posted in the Air Cooling sub-forum and same for the Phones and Tablets sub-forum.

Thanks

-Xiauj

Hey I'm Xiauj ^_^ Wassup :3

It's when someone posts in the wrong subforum and it gets moved to one you follow.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

If a user posts a topic in a subforum that you're following, and that topic is then moved elsewhere, the notification is updated but not removed.

HTTP/2 203

1 minute ago, kelvinhall05 said:

It's when someone posts in the wrong subforum and it gets moved to one you follow.

1 minute ago, colonel_mortis said:

If a user posts a topic in a subforum that you're following, and that topic is then moved elsewhere, the notification is updated but not removed.

Oh Ok fair enough.

I'm still a bit confused though, because it says He (The User) posted in Air Cooling but it's been moved TO the Air Cooling forum? o.O Are you sure that's not a bug?

Is that how it should be working? To Me personally, that sounds odd.

Note-1.JPG.918f3a3d9694e1333f0bda4a911b40f9.JPG

Note-2.JPG.509c4bb39c6d1b120866c10fcd2e1ce0.JPGNote-3.thumb.JPG.4701439351aa325a5bbb276509804034.JPG

Just now, Xiauj said:

snip

Is it possible that you're following new content from that user?

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

11 minutes ago, Xiauj said:

Oh Ok fair enough.

I'm still a bit confused though, because it says He (The User) posted in Air Cooling but it's been moved TO the Air Cooling forum? o.O Are you sure that's not a bug?

~snip~

If I made a post in, say, graphics cards, but it was about CPUs, it would obviously get moved to the CPUs subforum. If you were following the CPUs subforum, then it would say that I posted a topic in that subforum.

Edited by TheRandomness

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

Just now, AluminiumTech said:

Is it possible that you're following new content from that user?

Nope. There's only 3 things that He/She has posted and I don't follow His/Her profile.

2 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

If I made a post in, say, graphics cards, but it was about CPUs, it would obviously get moved to the CPUs subforum. If you were following the CPUs subforum, then it would say that I posted a topic in that subforum.

Ok that makes sense but why would I still get a notification for it though if I don't follow that sub-forum + person?

That's why I'm confused.

Just now, Xiauj said:

Ok that makes sense but why would I still get a notification for it though if I don't follow that sub-forum + person?

You might follow the subforum it was originally posted in, then moved from. Following the person has nothing to do with it.

SPECS:

🏳️‍🌈

1 minute ago, kelvinhall05 said:

You might follow the subforum it was originally posted in, then moved from. Following the person has nothing to do with it.

Yeah I guess that could have happened too.

Meh, I dunno. Maybe I'm understanding this entirely wrong but it still seems odd to Me why I got the notification for the sub-forum+user+post that I don't follow :|

9 hours ago, Xiauj said:

Yeah I guess that could have happened too.

Meh, I dunno. Maybe I'm understanding this entirely wrong but it still seems odd to Me why I got the notification for the sub-forum+user+post that I don't follow :|

Actually it's just like that, and the way Mortis said it. That thread was posted into some subforum you follow, General Discussion maybe, and then moved. Which means notification text is updated, but system doesn't remove it.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

13 hours ago, kelvinhall05 said:

No, you get notified about a topic iff it is originally posted in a section that you follow. If it gets moved out of the section you follow, you keep the notification (but the location is updated to match the new location), and if it gets moved into a section you follow, you don't get notified.

13 hours ago, Xiauj said:

Oh Ok fair enough.

That is working as intended - the way the notification is stored in the database, it doesn't actually keep track of where it was posted. When you view the notification, it looks up the current location of the topic and includes that in the notification. It is weird, but it can't be spun as a bug for IPS, and therefore most likely won't be changed.

HTTP/2 203

• 2 weeks later...

Ok so... I don't know what to say from here on but.., I've just had this happen to Me yet again.. just now:

I just got home and am seeing a notification that says ^-- "[USER] has posted a topic in [SUB-FORUM]: [TITLE]" but this time... it was in the PC Gaming sub-forum and not the Air Cooling which happened a while back (Scroll up and read the OP) -_- I do not follow the PC-Gaming sub-forum and have double-checked to be sure:

Edit: And no I don't follow the User's profile either.

LTT-1.thumb.JPG.ca9ad4e4635b75b8bbd46c0d386781cb.JPG

There must be something weird happening on My side or something on the website's side.. o.O

Is this still intended? Because it sounds like a bug to me personally

Edited by Xiauj
Added a extra note

Just now, Xiauj said:

Ok so... I don't know what to say from here on but.., I've just had this happen to Me yet again.. just now:

I just got home and am seeing a notification that says ^-- "[USER] has posted a topic in [SUB-FORUM]: [TITLE]" but this time... it was in the PC Gaming sub-forum and not the Air Cooling which happened a while back (Scroll up and read the OP) -_- I do not follow the PC-Gaming sub-forum and have double-checked to be sure:

There must be something weird happening on My side or something on the website's side.. o.O

You follow another section, probably Tech News but I can't easily check.

That topic was originally posted in that section, so you were notified about it.

The topic was then move to PC Gaming. When that happens, you keep the notification, but the location is updated.

HTTP/2 203

• 1 month later...

@colonel_mortis Hey, I hate reviving old topics like this but I wanted to clarify something with You, if that's Ok? :S

So, earlier I saw a notification amongst others saying "[User] has posted a topic in New Builds and Planning: [Topic-Name/Title]". I have checked and yes, I do follow the NB&P Sub-Forum with the following preference: "One email per day with all new content from that day".

I don't follow the User, I don't follow His/Her topic and as well as we all know, NB&P has LOADS of topics being made in it almost every day :P soooo... I'm getting confused (again). I dunno how it appeared as a notification on the drop-down menu xD.

It's a 100% freshly made topic and as far as I can tell, it hasn't been moved by a moderator which is how I kinda got confused before (scroll up in this topic).

The original post/comment in this topic by the user is the only post He/She has made > 1 post count.

Spoiler

Sorry if I'm making this sound a bit confusing btw lol, it's hard to explain.

3 minutes ago, Xiauj said:

@colonel_mortis Hey, I hate reviving old topics like this but I wanted to clarify something with You, if that's Ok? :S

So, earlier I saw a notification amongst others saying "[User] has posted a topic in New Builds and Planning: [Topic-Name/Title]". I have checked and yes, I do follow the NB&P Sub-Forum with the following preference: "One email per day with all new content from that day".

I don't follow the User, I don't follow His/Her topic and as well as we all know, NB&P has LOADS of topics being made in it almost every day :P soooo... I'm getting confused (again). I dunno how it appeared as a notification on the drop-down menu xD.

It's a 100% freshly made topic and as far as I can tell, it hasn't been moved by a moderator which is how I kinda got confused before (scroll up in this topic).

The original post/comment in this topic by the user is the only post He/She has made > 1 post count.

Hide contents

Sorry if I'm making this sound a bit confusing btw lol, it's hard to explain.

What was the topic?

HTTP/2 203

1 minute ago, colonel_mortis said:

What was the topic?

It was this one -^

3 minutes ago, Xiauj said:

It was this one -^

That topic was moved, though I can't tell where from.

HTTP/2 203

On 3/30/2019 at 11:05 PM, colonel_mortis said:

That topic was moved, though I can't tell where from.

Oh was it? Ahhhhhh... I see. That explains it then xD. I just assumed it hadn't been moved and it was a fresh topic primarily because no moderators had left a comment saying it's been moved.

Is there a way to prevent this happening in the future? If not, that's ok :) .. am just curious.

EDIT (7th April 2019): It's happened yet again! :|xD sigh

EDIT (29th April 2019): It's happened yet again but in the CPUs, Motherboards, and Memory sub-forum.

EDIT (1st June 2019): Ok now this one is weird....:

I'm getting notifications saying [USER], [USER], etc... commented on this topic:

I don't follow this sub-forum (Troubleshooting) or this particular topic, or even this user... xD

Edited by Xiauj
Added an extra-note

2 minutes ago, Xiauj said:

Oh was it? Ahhhhhh... I see. That explains it then xD. I just assumed it hadn't been moved and it was a fresh topic primarily because no moderators had left a comment saying it's been moved.

Is there a way to prevent this happening in the future? If not, that's ok :) .. am just curious.

Not possible without a change from IPS, so it's not going to be changing.

HTTP/2 203

• 3 months later...

Hey @colonel_mortis Quick question? :

Has anyone else reported this recently? I hate reviving old topics like this but I'm beginning to notice this happening a lot more frequently. At least every 1-2 days. Not for any particular sub-forum by the way. I'm beginning to think this is a definite bug :| I did include some that happened in the above comment in bold but haven't edited it recently.

1 hour ago, Xiauj said:

Hey @colonel_mortis Quick question? :

Has anyone else reported this recently? I hate reviving old topics like this but I'm beginning to notice this happening a lot more frequently. At least every 1-2 days. Not for any particular sub-forum by the way. I'm beginning to think this is a definite bug :| I did include some that happened in the above comment in bold but haven't edited it recently.

There have been no code changes recently, so I'm almost certain that it's just topics that have been moved.

On 3/30/2019 at 11:09 PM, Xiauj said:

EDIT (1st June 2019): Ok now this one is weird....:

I'm getting notifications saying [USER], [USER], etc... commented on this topic:

I don't follow this sub-forum (Troubleshooting) or this particular topic, or even this user... xD

That topic was split off from the PSU tiers topic, which might cause the notifications to be slightly funky.

HTTP/2 203

6 minutes ago, colonel_mortis said:

There have been no code changes recently, so I'm almost certain that it's just topics that have been moved.

That topic was split off from the PSU tiers topic, which might cause the notifications to be slightly funky.

Ok np.

Like I said, it has been happening a lot often than expected, I just haven't updated the comment recently.

Just seems odd that it's happening this much even if the code hasn't been tweaked.